Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: You are in a Supermarket.

Type
    INTP
    If you're in the dairy aisle and you're tall and have a good reach, grab the milk carton from the very back of the dairy shelf. It's usually the one with the longest "use by" date.

Calling a "cart" a "trolley" is like calling a baby carriage or stroller a "pram." But, we are separated by a common language.

1) You are in a supermarket. You are pushing a trolley through it. You come upon the bread aisle. What is it like? Details, please.
    Well, it's got lots of bread in many different forms, from whole wheat to white and smells like a bakery. I imagine there's some pastries mixed in to tempt me as well.

2) You push your trolley further. You're in the dairy aisle. You pick up a bottle of milk. It goes off in four days. What do you do?
    I'm in a hurry, and milk gets consumed fast around here. I throw it in the cart.. uh um.. I mean (Holds pinky up).. trolley.

3) You push your trolley further. You want to buy Oreos. Someone is blocking them. Describe the person. What do you do?
    A forty something year old woman, and not very attractive; mainly because of the entitled look on her face. I say "excuse me, I just need to grab one of these".. if she let's me in, yay. If not, I reach around her awkwardly and grab them anyway, place them daintily in my "trolley" and move on.

4) You push your trolley further. A sale is announced on the intercom. What items are on sale? Will you buy these items?
    Strawberries. I buy them, as well as some whip cream and shortcakes, which I remember seeing on the bread aisle.

5) You push your trolley further. You reach the hygiene aisle. Something is spilt on the floor. Describe it in detail.
    It's shampoo. White with metallic blue streaks through it making a little semicircle in front of the busted bottle.

6) You are at the back of a long checkout queue. A new queue opens right beside you. How do you react?
    I move over to the new queue, and proceed to watch as everyone in my old queue gets swiftly checked out while my sales clerk bumbles around with price checks and glitchy registers.

Type
    INxP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    It's sliced bread with nuts on top. I pick up a loaf and plan to use it for toast at breakfast.
    Hey irony! Utisz here. How's it going? ... yeah I'm good. I'm just calling about the supermarket thread ... yeah she's up next ... yeah I've written up the interpretation ... what? ... but I've written it up and it's ... okay okay ... I understand, yeah, everyone gets an interpretation except for her ... yeah no sure, I get it ... well there's a backlog and if I have to ... okay irony, I'll do it just for you ... yeah I know ... yeah I will ... okay ... love you too ... bye!

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBard View Post
    I don't believe in this. There's no way you can access the subconscious that easily, you'd first have to hypnotize your patient a bit. This seems like a free associations thing, where the answers are based more on our own experiences in a supermarket combined with clichés and stuff. Anyway, I'll try it out and see whether your interpretations make sense.
    Yep, don't worry. I'm not claiming this is a rigorous psychoanalytical tool. (Do I look like Madrigal to you?)

But I'll try psychoanalyse your fantasy all the same ... even if only for shits and giggles. This'll be my first proper go at this. I dunno; have a look ...

1) There are two rows on each side of me, all of the same kind of whole-wheat, generic, toaster bread. They are wrapped but there's nothing on the wrapper. They aren't cut. It's just the same generic bread that looks ifinitely copy-pasted.

2) I start trying to find a bottle that goes off later, but then realise I'm probably going to drink it in four days so I shrug and keep the first bottle. I'm confused, though: milk around here usually comes in jugs or in bags.

3) A black man, with an indigo turtleneck (wait what, why?). I just move along and try to remember to come back later.

4) I can't understand what is said on the intercom, it sounds like gibberish. I don't care about it and move along.

5) It looks like milk. A transparent white puddle in the middle of the aisle which takes all the width. I'll have to go through it or back away. I go through it.

6) I stay where I am, hoping enough people will change queues.
    You feel weighed down by material things. Though you appreciate that they must be tended to, they form a routine; they are bland; they are a burden; they tether you to something you have little interest in. You throw your clothes in a heap. You look through menus in restaurants with indifference. You'll walk through mud in your good shoes if it's faster. Look around you now; there's a lot you could do without. The few possessions of most importance to you are those that enrich your internal world or help to realise it: some tools of expression, something that made you think differently that one time, maybe a sentimental collection.

Though you could do many things, you could follow various careers, none of them fit. Despite mounting pressure, you don't want to follow the same calling that other people do. You resent the pressure on you to clarify your path. You don't want to fall into the numb reverie of a nine-to-five and an SUV and loyalty cards and most places you look that's all you can see. But that's okay. So throw a solitary stick in the river and imagine you're the stick. You have enough faith in yourself (and other people) to imagine that everything would be okay. You can hear the music of the water that supports you. Of course it's scary but you don't care to reach the river-bank yet ... the idea of those on the river-bank watching you float by with their loyalty cards in their wallets appeals to you.

Status? Fuck their notion of status.

But if you can't pin yourself to anything in particular, then where are you happy? The last time you were happy: can you remember it? Or what is happiness for you? A person? A place? An activity? A state of mind? ... A person? Which person? Would you be happy with her? Would everything follow from that? You are, of course, a romantic at heart and yes, not everything would follow from that but maybe a lot would. Happiness is not something you can feel you can construct; rather you just have to be and keep an eye out for it.

You're also analytical and critical. You'll have felt that parts of my interpretation are too generic and/or based on information other than your supermarket fantasy. "... could apply to any INTP", you've been thinking. But I wrote it for you. Not that it actually matters. You can probably see this too.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Utisz View Post
    [analysis]
    I hate to say it, but you're absolutely spot-on. Thank you!

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Okay, this is a psychology game. You might have played something like this already.

If you want to participate, try not to read the answers posted by other people. They might influence you, so it's best to read them AFTER you're done. Btw, try not to think too much and just tell me the first thing that pops into your head, okay?

1) You are in a supermarket. You are pushing a trolley through it. You come upon the bread aisle. What is it like? Details, please.
    These answers are as dictated to me by INFJ in bed.

"There's bagels and English muffins and crusty bread. There's all kinds of bread. There's Wonder Bread. Not that I would buy Wonder Bread."

2) You push your trolley further. You're in the dairy aisle. You pick up a bottle of milk. It goes off in four days. What do you do?
    "I put the milk back on the shelf. I wouldn't buy it. Bleah!"

3) You push your trolley further. You want to buy Oreos. Someone is blocking them. Describe the person. What do you do?
    "The person is a woman with a crying baby. I can't tell her to move so I just wait and tap my toe. You can't tell her to move, it just wouldn't be right. Don't say that I said tapping my toe."

4) You push your trolley further. A sale is announced on the intercom. What items are on sale? Will you buy these items?
    "There's seafood on sale. I think my boyfriend would like that so I go to the seafood counter and buy some."

5) You push your trolley further. You reach the hygiene aisle. Something is spilt on the floor. Describe it in detail.
    "It's shampoo. The bottle has spilled and it's that cheap green Pert Plus. It smells bad and I don't like it."

6) You are at the back of a long checkout queue. A new queue opens right beside you. How do you react?
    "I see who in the front of the line goes first. Once they've gone, I go to a new spot. I was at the end of the line so I can't just go jumping first."
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    1) A military accident causes a hydrogen bomb tipped ICBM to have it trajectory of final descent about 5 miles away. You die.
    2-6) Irrelevant.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    There are many types of 'artisan' bread. Basically just different varieties of unsliced crusty breads. They come in various shapes from rounds to torpedoes to loafs to flats. They also come in a variety of densities and smells. The pumpernickel smells very good. They bake fresh every day here, but there's also a good selection of cheaper day old loaves. Their bagels are fluffy and chewy, and the croissants melt in your mouth. There are no donuts or plastic bags in evidence. Everything is either on display or in light paper wrapping.

I happen to know that the sell by date is not the same as the day it will sour. It's got a good week or so left beyond that date as long as I don't open it. The milk will go sour within a week of opening it no matter how many days are left before the sell by. I'm no sucker though. I flag down a store worker and ask if I can get a discount.

It's a couple of women who are debating which Oreos to buy. They're engaged in a subtle war because they clearly have differing ideas about what makes for the ideal Oreo, but neither wants to be a bossy bitch. I remember that the last three packages of Oreos I've purchased royally sucked as if they'd gone to the now defunct Hydrox brand and jacked that shitty recipe to use. I move on shaking my head at how the once great cookie has crumbled.

Meat. All meat is on sale. And hell yes I'm buying these items. I came here for meat in the first place. I just got sidetracked when I remembered I was low on Creme Fraishe and goat cheese.

Looks like a wino got into the Tresseme again. There's some alcohol in most shampoos and nobody notices a grubby person heading for the hygiene aisle. It's a mixture of lather, heavy white goo, and what might have been a sandwich. The smell is putrid with an undertone of coconut and kiwi. Looks like they were on their second bottle when they started refunding their shoplifted shamhooch. Strangely there is also a large quantity of ribbon floss--looks waxed, wide, and probably cinnamon. I guess they were trying for something like Fireball.

I don't give a shit. I picked the line I was willing to wait for. Besides, I really want to watch this middle aged woman fill out a fucking check. The interplay as the cashier scavenges her identification for additional information is always such a delight to endure. It's totally just as fast as cash or debit. Really--it doesn't take 10 times as long, it just feels like it because of how many more minutes are required to perform the transaction.

I wait a moment to see if anyone ahead of me lurches over, then I take the opportunity to get the fuck out of there.
    "They can't all be zingers." --Cupcake

Type
    INxP
    Oh yeah, at this point, I'd encourage anyone who wants an interpretation to do the questions before reading on.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBard View Post
    I hate to say it, but you're absolutely spot-on. Thank you!
    Cool, you're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
    1. About six feet wide, around eight feet tall, with bread on the (my) right and bread condiments and other bread or grain related products on the left.

2. Put the milk back and search around for the one with the latest expiration date.

3. It is a middle-aged woman with a handful of coupons who is putting in far too much effort to save thirty cents on a carton of Oreos. Since I am thin and lanky, I come up from the side and pull a carton off the shelf like a ninja.

4. The sale is for pretzels or some other kind of snack food. Pretzels are disgusting, so I will ignore this sale.

5. It is a bottle of environmentally friendly bleach and phosphorus-free kitchen cleaner. It is deep-green-turquoise in color.

6. I don't move. It never helps.
    (Well this one was tricky. I started writing it a couple of times before but it didn't feel right. I think maybe that's down to the fact that I don't know you as well as other users on here so I lack a broader context; also there's parts that at first glance seem almost contradictory about you. But let's see.)

You're a detailed-oriented person: you notice how things are arranged and, for those things you care about, you take pride in how things should be done. Your fantasy is detailed in terms of the arrangement of spaces, the aspect, the colours, the characteristics and placement of the items that are found. It seems as if you really visualised the world: experiencing the aspect of the shelves and mentally measuring them in front of you as about eight feet tall and six feet apart; visualising the bleach trying to accurately capture its colour because it is there and it has a colour. You enjoy detailed fantasy/virtual worlds set in rich visual detail: you easily (and happily) get absorbed such worlds. You notice things other people wouldn't.

Emotionally-speaking, your fantasy sounds quite detached. You focus a lot on the minutiae of images but the emotional picture remains understated. The somewhat contradictory part (I think) is that you're not unemotional, but rather that you're sufficiently secure in your emotions that they are sort of natural for you (e.g., pretzels disgust you in a rather matter-of-fact way). Even the matter-of-fact certainty when you say that moving queue "never helps" gives a nod to the fact that you've come to terms with a lot of who you are in relation to the world. There's also a distinct sense of playfulness with the Oreos and the spilt bleach; you enjoy playing around and you get your kicks where you can. Generally speaking, the world almost seems to flow around you ... like sometimes it washes against you rather than you're walking through it ... or like you are just aloofly breezing through in parts. But when emotions do arise, they are another detail that add depth and colour to the world(s) you interact with as opposed to something you feel you need to fight or deny.

In a similar vein, you don't speak much of people (only in "mandatory" places) and when you do, it's with conspicuously less detail than you provide otherwise. You feel detached from the bulk of other people, like an outsider. You don't buy much into the traditional way of doing things ... at least certainly not for tradition's sake. You're happy to go about your business and don't expect a whole lot from others. Even how you get the Oreos is stealthy, like you get a kick out of the idea of waltzing past this woman -- buried in her coupons -- while she doesn't notice. Trying to read between the lines, there's a sense of loneliness to the story ... nobody sees how you get the Oreos, the store sounds quiet, the offers of sales don't help, the new queue doesn't help. It feels like a stoic loneliness, but (perhaps?) with a vague twinge of sentimentality.

(... not sure how much this will speak to you, but that's my best shot.)

Formerly PiccoloNamek Lunar Delta's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Oh yeah, at this point, I'd encourage anyone who wants an interpretation to do the questions before reading on.

Cool, you're welcome!

(Well this one was tricky. I started writing it a couple of times before but it didn't feel right. I think maybe that's down to the fact that I don't know you as well as other users on here so I lack a broader context; also there's parts that at first glance seem almost contradictory about you. But let's see.)

You're a detailed-oriented person: you notice how things are arranged and, for those things you care about, you take pride in how things should be done. Your fantasy is detailed in terms of the arrangement of spaces, the aspect, the colours, the characteristics and placement of the items that are found. It seems as if you really visualised the world: experiencing the aspect of the shelves and mentally measuring them in front of you as about eight feet tall and six feet apart; visualising the bleach trying to accurately capture its colour because it is there and it has a colour. You enjoy detailed fantasy/virtual worlds set in rich visual detail: you easily (and happily) get absorbed such worlds. You notice things other people wouldn't.

Emotionally-speaking, your fantasy sounds quite detached. You focus a lot on the minutiae of images but the emotional picture remains understated. The somewhat contradictory part (I think) is that you're not unemotional, but rather that you're sufficiently secure in your emotions that they are sort of natural for you (e.g., pretzels disgust you in a rather matter-of-fact way). Even the matter-of-fact certainty when you say that moving queue "never helps" gives a nod to the fact that you've come to terms with a lot of who you are in relation to the world. There's also a distinct sense of playfulness with the Oreos and the spilt bleach; you enjoy playing around and you get your kicks where you can. Generally speaking, the world almost seems to flow around you ... like sometimes it washes against you rather than you're walking through it ... or like you are just aloofly breezing through in parts. But when emotions do arise, they are another detail that add depth and colour to the world(s) you interact with as opposed to something you feel you need to fight or deny.

In a similar vein, you don't speak much of people (only in "mandatory" places) and when you do, it's with conspicuously less detail than you provide otherwise. You feel detached from the bulk of other people, like an outsider. You don't buy much into the traditional way of doing things ... at least certainly not for tradition's sake. You're happy to go about your business and don't expect a whole lot from others. Even how you get the Oreos is stealthy, like you get a kick out of the idea of waltzing past this woman -- buried in her coupons -- while she doesn't notice. Trying to read between the lines, there's a sense of loneliness to the story ... nobody sees how you get the Oreos, the store sounds quiet, the offers of sales don't help, the new queue doesn't help. It feels like a stoic loneliness, but (perhaps?) with a vague twinge of sentimentality.

(... not sure how much this will speak to you, but that's my best shot.)
    That was actually surprisingly accurate, especially about me enjoying visual fantasies and noticing things other people don't. The noticing part probably comes from my self-training as a photographer. Always be aware, always keep looking, and never be certain you've seen everything with a single glance. I would like to think of myself as examining my surroundings in the Bene Gesserit Way, that is picking up and being aware of the minutiae of my environment. The way objects are arranged, people's bodily and facial expressions, entire conversations most people would never overhear, how moist the wind is and what direction it is coming from, etc etc, too many things to list. Even as I went for a walk in the snow last night, I was keeping track of all of the footprints I saw, how some were fresh and well-defined, and how some were soft and partially filled in, how several of them were hoof prints from a deer. The hoof prints were very fresh. I was in the woods so it kind put me on edge knowing a large animal had walked right across my path, probably within the last half-hour or so.

All this while simultaneously conducting internal fantasies and thought-streams.

The parts about stoic loneliness and the world flowing around me were accurate as well. Sometimes I almost feel like "life" and "the world" are things that happen to other people; I am just there to observe and think about what I see and hear.
    Last edited by Lunar Delta; 02-10-2014 at 04:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by omnirook
    I like it cold - and raining. That keeps the public private - behind closed doors, where they belong!

Type
    iNtP
    1 bread each side of the isle
    2 put it back
    3 busy, politely interrupt the person and tell them my intent
    4 items that need to be moved quickly, no
    5 a puddle on the floor
    6 move to the new checkout