Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: INTP Parenthood

Type
    INTP

INTP Parenthood

Granted, I'm relatively new at the whole business (13 months), but I imagine the rest of it going something like this:

Also I read a lot of cross-cultural studies of child-rearing and I think that that helps to put everything into perspective. Having similar-minded family and friends helps, too, of course.

Seriously, though:

It's crazy to be so excited about all the things to teach him on the one hand and to have his developing personality be so unknown on the other. Really fun to think about.

Type
    INTP
    Dont let social services find your Gom Jabbur. They can get pretty worked up about certain styles of parenting.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Well, I'm six years in.

Your mental image of it should really be something more like this:

but, yeah, it's fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    Two boys here - 7 & 17...
    It is cat herding but a lot of love oh and lots of worry too.
    Their development is something that feeds my curiosity - a domain I never get bored of!
    Last edited by Ruby_Bookrose; 02-05-2015 at 05:08 AM. Reason: spelling...

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    My wife wants a baby desperately but I've never wanted one and I think we're not really up to it.

Type
    INTP
    A 2 year old here, and a 2.5 month old...and it's the most awesome thing I've ever done(probably the most demanding and consuming thing, too).

My wife (ENFJ) and I have entirely different approaches...but same values, so it seems to work...and the kids reap the benefits of both our types....
    ...it's a huge source of inflation to the ego when the kids are developing at hyper speed and leaving their peers in the dust(although it sucked for our boy, Oliver, that he had to wait so long for his peers to learn to walk, and now at 2, he's articulating complex thoughts while his peers are finally just stringing a few words together. He's really got no choice but to learn how to coach and encourage and teach his peers...and he does well at that when he's not totally confused at other kids communicating by hitting or screaming).

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    and now at 2, he's articulating complex thoughts while his peers are finally just stringing a few words together. He's really got no choice but to learn how to coach and encourage and teach his peers...and he does well at that when he's not totally confused at other kids communicating by hitting or screaming).
    That's just like my cousin's kid. His daycare uses phrases like "that toy is unavailable" and "I need space." A is fully articulate and does not understand why the other kids can't talk. It was really cute last time we visited, because the way he talks it's just like this constant, stream-of-consciousness commentary on everything he's thinking.

*baby playing with truck"
    A: "I want the truck. ...I want the truck. ...I want to play with the truck."
    We acknowledge his feelings but tell him that the truck is unavailable. The baby is playing with the truck.
    "The truck is unavailable. ...I want to play with the truck."
    *baby abandons truck to play with monkey*
    "I want to play with the monkey!"
    etc.

Type
    INTP
    At least I'm a P, just making it up as I go along.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'm now considering to have a baby. If it is a girl my favourite name is probably "Amy".

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    BTW what would be about the minimum age that their MBTI could be worked out?