Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: INTP Parenthood

Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    Corny, but this song always made sense to me. The best moments of parenthood are making the normal yet magic moments with kids. They're pretty hard to come by, so never pass up an opportunity.
    Sometimes I experience that song about the same way I experience a public awareness advertisement to exercise and stay active while I'm lounging on the easy chair eating a donut.

I have 2 kids, 18 and 15 (well almost 19 now). It's actually really hard to imagine life being complete without having had them. Of course, it's really easy to imagine life being a lot easier and full of riches having not had them, but then easy is boring and riches are just temporary novelties. Kids are never boring and never lose their novelty.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    Sometimes I experience that song about the same way I experience a public awareness advertisement to exercise and stay active while I'm lounging on the easy chair eating a donut.

I have 2 kids, 18 and 15 (well almost 19 now). It's actually really hard to imagine life being complete without having had them. Of course, it's really easy to imagine life being a lot easier and full of riches having not had them, but then easy is boring and riches are just temporary novelties. Kids are never boring and never lose their novelty.
    Step one: Don't have kids.

Step three: Easy riches.

I must have missed a step. ha. Oh...wait...I left out the "go in the same direction for more than five minutes at a time" step. Drat.

I heard that song like right after you told me your wife was pregnant with @epistemophiliac and I got all teary eyed and sentimental. Seems like yesterday. Now he's a grown up and cool as hell. Nice work. Glad you had two. Maybe you should have had four, you know, to make up for your evolutionary dead end sister.

When my not having had kids plan gets to the easy riches stage, I'll fund a vacation for us to go visit your awesome kid overseas.

Type
    INTP
    Well, TheresaJ, you're in for an interesting ride, I'm 23 years into this business and I still have no idea what I am doing. I have 3 (23 y.o girl, 19 y.o boy and 17 y.o boy) that I actually spawned and I accidentally picked up a 4th, my middle kids best friend (also a 19 year old boy) who has been with us full time for about a year and a half and part time for a few years before that.
    The toughest part for me in recent years is the forced social interactions that go with the whole business, school functions, graduation parties, shit like that. I like my kids and I like hanging out with them, I would just prefer it be sans other people. Another thing that I find particularly difficult is the girlfriends (my daughter is a lesbian, so all my kids like girls. I am the only one in the family who likes the D).
    I grew up with 3 sisters but have always had a tough time getting along with women (maybe that's why!) and most of the close friends I have had, or thought I had, have been men. Now I have to get along with these girls who my kids love and that love my kids, but they are strangers to me and I don't know how to talk to them. Fortunately my kids are bright and cool as hell and they warn the girlfriends about me, but it's still always so awkward and the girls always seem to end up butthurt because I say something weird. It would have been easier if they had all liked guys. :/
    You're using big words right now that you don't know the meaning of and you're capitalizing them. You shouldn't do that. ~Osito

Type
    INTP
    Much as I'm an introvert, I loved growing up in a big family (oldest of 5 kids...3 sisters, and then my brother). Even now, with 2 kids of our own, I look forward to having more.
    I also grew up in close proximity to a bunch of my cousins...like, at one point I think I had about 30 relatives living within a 1 block radius of our house (My dad was one of 12 kids, most of whom have had between 2 and 5 kids...so I've got a lot of cousins...).

...it basically had the benefit of being a social network of people that all care about you...and of being a crowd large enough that you never had to be the center of attention...you could be alone in the crowd, or totally connected, as circumstance required.

I think that's the neat thing about big families...it makes for better parenting, because you have to let your kids be their own people...and the kids end up raising each other to a degree...relieving the burden on the parents to be everything to each child...which I suppose is sort of counter-intuitive.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    Much as I'm an introvert, I loved growing up in a big family (oldest of 5 kids...3 sisters, and then my brother). Even now, with 2 kids of our own, I look forward to having more.
    I also grew up in close proximity to a bunch of my cousins...like, at one point I think I had about 30 relatives living within a 1 block radius of our house (My dad was one of 12 kids, most of whom have had between 2 and 5 kids...so I've got a lot of cousins...).

...it basically had the benefit of being a social network of people that all care about you...and of being a crowd large enough that you never had to be the center of attention...you could be alone in the crowd, or totally connected, as circumstance required.

I think that's the neat thing about big families...it makes for better parenting, because you have to let your kids be their own people...and the kids end up raising each other to a degree...relieving the burden on the parents to be everything to each child...which I suppose is sort of counter-intuitive.
    Yes to all of this. I am the oldest of 4 girls, and we were always considered a package, we weren't singled out individually to be cute or entertaining, the 4 were one, and with 3 of us being introverts, that was just fine with us. If we didn't feel like speaking up we could always count on the one extrovert among us to run her mouth for days
    We also had a lot of cousins, aunts and uncles close by and the family just gets bigger every year. If I want to stand out, I can, if I want to lurk in the background, I can. It's a pretty sweet deal.
    My kids also have a large cousin network, my sisters and I squeezed out 13 between the 4 of us, so they also have the benefit of choosing their level of interaction at family gatherings, but they are all extroverts to varying degrees so they don't need it the way I do.
    You're using big words right now that you don't know the meaning of and you're capitalizing them. You shouldn't do that. ~Osito

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    The toughest part for me in recent years is the forced social interactions that go with the whole business, school functions, graduation parties, shit like that.
    Oh my god my kid just started going to daycare two days a week and there was already a Valentine's Day party that all the other parents magically knew about (I guess there's a... bulletin board..?) and they brought, like, fancy valentine treats to share and money for the pizza party. I'm like "well I had no idea about any of this so I packed his lunch as usual..." and then the teachers had to take pity on him and share the pizza and treats even though we contributed nothing. WTF he's one year old. >_<

I like my kids and I like hanging out with them, I would just prefer it be sans other people. Another thing that I find particularly difficult is the girlfriends (my daughter is a lesbian, so all my kids like girls. I am the only one in the family who likes the D).[...] It would have been easier if they had all liked guys. :/
    Ha ha ha! Imagine how much worse it could be, though! I knew a woman who was as practical, no frills, introverted, etc as you can get, and she had the girliest girl daughter imaginable - obsessed with shopping, obsessed with her friends, highly excitable. Those poor women had so much trouble trying and completely failing to understand each other.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    Yes, this! The kids still get plenty of human interaction and adult supervision without being the absolute center of the adults' world - better for the kids and the adults IMO. Unfortunately, not always possible. :/

Type
    INTP
    I've also decided that I want parenting to be like Atrus' childhood in the Myst series.

Spoiler: Because everyone has read at least the first book of the series based on the classic computer game, right? Of course!

Some person made a fancomic!

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Ha ha ha! Imagine how much worse it could be, though!
    I would prefer not to. Two of my sisters have 5 daughters between them, all fully estrogened to the the gills. Every time I am with them they want to do my make-up and fix my hair, my Girl wants to have a beer and go fishing.
    I very much prefer the latter.
    Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore each and every one of my nieces, but I am a much better Aunt to them than I could be a Mother..

Type
    INTP

My boys are 8 and 5. I make more money now than at any time in my life and I still feel broke. A comfortable broke, but broke nonetheless.