Thread: Self-help books/audiobooks you're reading

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Self-help books/audiobooks you're reading

I'm listening to the 1981 audio version of Dale Carnegie's 1936 book "How to Win Friends and Influence People"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_...fluence_People

Type
    INTP
    Through my teens and early 20s I read a lot of Deepak Chopra books...and it was kind of like listening to an audiobook, because I'd seen him on a PBS special, and from then on I always imagined his voice whenever I read his books. My favourite of his books was probably, 'The Spontaneous Fulfillment of Desire', though I don't remember it particularly well more than a decade down the road. I just remember feeling like life was particularly easy in the period after reading that one.

I also really liked Eckhart Tolle's 'The Power of Now'...though I don't know if I'd enjoy that as an audio, since Tolle speaks kinda weirdly. His follow-up book, 'A New Earth' wasn't nearly as good.

Other highlights from my self-help reading include:
    'Healing and Recovery' by David R. Hawkins
    'The Power of Intention' by Wayne Dyer
    'The Sedona Method' by Hale Dwoskin
    'A Course in Miracles Workbook' by Helen Schucman(great program, or a mind control script developed in part by the CIA, not totally sure. lol)
    'You Can Heal Your Life' by Louise Hay
    'How to Enjoy Your Life in Spite of it All' by Ken Keyes Jr.

Probably some other notables as well, but they escape me at the moment. Am currently between books...waiting for inspiration to strike.

Type
    INtP
    Reading self help books for me is like deep cleaning my house. I know I will likely feel better and experience some sort of benefit from doing it, but I need to force myself to do it. I can't recall one book of that genre that I have read completely.

Type
    xxxx
    i recently read a book about home ec in a "post-consumer" world. does that count?

i've been meaning to read a book on CBT but idk if i'd call that self-help exactly, other than in function.

never really got into self-help as a genre

Type
    INTP
    The only real self-help book out there is a journal. Blank.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INFP
    I know there's a few fans if The Artist's Way around here. At least in personalizing Julia Cameron's system. It's worth thumbing through. My self is beyond help so I just read other stuff.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    I know there's a few fans if The Artist's Way around here. At least in personalizing Julia Cameron's system. It's worth thumbing through. My self is beyond help so I just read other stuff.
    the only artist's self-help-ish book that's ever sounded interesting to me (your post reminded me) is this one called bird by bird but i think it's cuz i just wouldn't mind reading about birds.