Will it ever be bridged?

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

-
    Type
    xxxx
    ^ Quiet, people, the expert is speaking.

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Here's a more realistic looking android:

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    I don't see why not. Appearance-wise and Kinetic-wise anyways.

The thing about uncanny is that it gets your attention in a disturbing way.

It's the small dab of ketchup on your all-white t-shirt. Thus, it makes it easy for a would-be Mastro Geppetto to focus upon the anomaly.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I won't be fooled unless there are working nostrils- they must be able to flair or I'm not buying it.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INFP
    I think that it would take a psychological leap and abandonment of stereotypes to bridge the valley, more so than technological achievements. If I see someone who has glasses, or a hearing aid, or prosthetic limbs, of course I recognize them as a human. From my perspective on this forum, you guys are nothing but pixels and digital projections, but I recognize you as people because I have this vague idea that there's a fundamental human 'essence' or starting point beneath all the data. If, in the distant future, I see a robot with a similar ratio of 'human' and artificial parts, it will be difficult for me to recognize them as anything but a robot because I feel that their essence is somehow unnatural, and that clouds my perceptions of them. I guess this is the premise of Bladerunner.

It seems like the psychological definition of 'human' is tenuous and likely to become more so as ai develops. I suspect that rather than bridging the valley and learning to see robots/cyborgs as people, we or at least I am more likely to view everything as uncanny at that point, including humanity - - the uncanny valley will flood rather than get bridged.
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I read an article a while ago about using robots of baby animals to bridge the uncanny valley. The idea being that baby animals are cute, which would make people relate to them, and at the same time, they are more likely to be naturally clumsy, like robots. I can't remember where I came across it now. I think it may have been a link from the New Aesthetic.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    From my perspective on this forum, you guys are nothing but pixels and digital projections, but I recognize you as people because I have this vague idea that there's a fundamental human 'essence' or starting point beneath all the data. If, in the distant future, I see a robot with a similar ratio of 'human' and artificial parts, it will be difficult for me to recognize them as anything but a robot because I feel that their essence is somehow unnatural, and that clouds my perceptions of them. I guess this is the premise of Bladerunner.
    I don't think our personification of machines is really linked to apperarances at all. People readily humanize non-humanoid machines on a daily basis as it is (how often do we curse at our computers, or look suspiciously at security cameras, for example?), especially when we can't fully understand how they are working. We can easily fear a machine that becomes "intelligent" without any need to look human - to use another movie example of this fear, 2001: A Space Odyssey's supercomputer HAL 9000 (not that I reccomend that movie unless you want to watch 2.5 hours of a movie only to extract a solid 20 mins of an interesting film experience - which is not to say it wasn't mind-blowing for its day and age). I don't think that the uncanny valley is related to AI or technology, it's something else that disturbs us.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I read an article a while ago about using robots of baby animals to bridge the uncanny valley. The idea being that baby animals are cute, which would make people relate to them, and at the same time, they are more likely to be naturally clumsy, like robots. I can't remember where I came across it now. I think it may have been a link from the New Aesthetic.
    That's an interesting thought. There may be a stronger threshold for 'cute' things, but they can be uncanny in their own way. Otherwise innocent-looking things can look or seem even more 'wrong' when behavior is off, which I why I guess toys and girls (usually female, don't you think?), even animals, are good objects to twist in form for horror movies.