Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter survival

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Winter survival

I'm in Vancouver. It is traditional to gloat every year about all the cold and miserable weather everyone gets back east. This year is no different. Hearing about all the ice storms and power outages is a great chance to say serves you right for living in a shithole like Toronto.

But it's also a chance to meditate on the helplessness and stupidity of people. Aww there's debris and shit in your yard? Clean it up! A branch fell on your house? Get a ladder and a saw and cut it up.

But the best thing is hearing from miserable people complaining that they had to throw out all the food from their fridge because the power's out. Are you fucking kidding me? There's a fuckton of ice and snow outside and you're telling me you can't keep your food cold? Stick a bucket of ice in your fridge for fucks sake. Or put your food in the sink and pack snow around it. And when the snow melts, put more snow on top. Why is this a difficult concept for people?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    But the best thing is hearing from miserable people complaining that they had to throw out all the food from their fridge because the power's out. Are you fucking kidding me? There's a fuckton of ice and snow outside and you're telling me you can't keep your food cold? Stick a bucket of ice in your fridge for fucks sake. Or put your food in the sink and pack snow around it. And when the snow melts, put more snow on top. Why is this a difficult concept for people?
    Did that once.

No power for 8 days. Slept in coats, gloves, and hats. The hot water still worked, took the longest hot showers in the morning.

Emperor.
    Type
    ENTP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I'm in Vancouver. It is traditional to gloat every year about all the cold and miserable weather everyone gets back east. This year is no different. Hearing about all the ice storms and power outages is a great chance to say serves you right for living in a shithole like Toronto.

But it's also a chance to meditate on the helplessness and stupidity of people. Aww there's debris and shit in your yard? Clean it up! A branch fell on your house? Get a ladder and a saw and cut it up.

Dude, I feel so bad for you. It's like, 17 degrees celcius (62F) here, and only 07:44. So I know what it's like to be cold.

Keep on powering through bro.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I know it's horrible on the east coast. One time it was really cold and I got stuck outside in the snow.

I had to kill my tauntaun and sleep inside of him.

Poor thing. I still miss that tauntaun.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Senior Member Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    infj
    This winter has been terrible. Mid 70s and sunshine all week. I don't know how people do it.

Type
    INTP
    Actually, this winter has been pretty terrible. If California doesn't get rain soon, the entire state is going to look like Bakersfield within a decade.

Senior Member Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    infj
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Actually, this winter has been pretty terrible. If California doesn't get rain soon, the entire state is going to look like Bakersfield within a decade.
    I'm OK with this.

Type
    intp
    Atlantic Cities had an article about California running out of water next year. Bummer. We've got the opposite problem at the moment (although not where I am currently, it's merely warm and pleasant here).

Type
    INTP
    People are weird about food, it's awkward to encounter how much they love to be dependent on convention. Everybody keeps their food in a refrigerator, and when the refrigerator stops working the food goes bad. That's just how it is, and suggesting anything different will make them uncomfortable. There's no thought about temperatures or contamination, it's just a strict adherence to doing what everyone else does as a way to stay safe.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    People are weird about food, it's awkward to encounter how much they love to be dependent on convention. Everybody keeps their food in a refrigerator, and when the refrigerator stops working the food goes bad. That's just how it is, and suggesting anything different will make them uncomfortable. There's no thought about temperatures or contamination, it's just a strict adherence to doing what everyone else does as a way to stay safe.
    I know. One time I was at a party and someone left some cheese out on the table overnight. The next morning people were freaked out about how it might be poisonous to eat.

What do you think they did to milk before people had refrigerators? They made cheese so it wouldn't go bad.