Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter survival

Type
    INTP
    Up here in Northern BC we usually get pretty wild amounts of snow...amounts that make us seem tough and resilient...but this year it's been ridiculously warm (that is, slightly above zero), and so much rain that it'd have been truly EPIC if it had just been a degree or two below freezing. In past years you couldn't see my house from the street...my snowblower couldn't even throw the snow high enough, so my driveway just kept getting narrower...

It's kind of cool to be able to survive harsh conditions...but you do take it for granted until you see stupidity on the news.

Once, when I was going to college in Victoria, there was a light flurry that started at night. I woke the next day to a city that looked like it had snowed...turned out it was just extreme salting of the roads. All for the best though...lots of people down south don't seem to realize that it's wise to go below the speed limit when the roads are icy.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    They used to make window refrigerators. Metal boxes that sat in the window for keeping food cold. They don't exist these days. I once told an old friend who was fixing my refrigerator in the winter that I'm keeping the frozen food on the terrace. He just made up something about the sun. If you put a thermometer in the sun and it says it's freezing then it's freezing despite the sun! And UV rays could actually purify water. They would probably do more good for food than bad, and the food was packaged anyway. If I had to I'd just cover it.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I'm in Vancouver. It is traditional to gloat every year about all the cold and miserable weather everyone gets back east. This year is no different. Hearing about all the ice storms and power outages is a great chance to say serves you right for living in a shithole like Toronto.
    Hey! There's more to this side of the country than that den of iniquity Toronto! My favourite survival technique is bugging gator until she makes you an awesome Jayne Cobb hat to keep you warm.