Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, this is awkward....

Retired
    Type
    INTP

Well, this is awkward....

.....so yes, I am INTP in the deep end of the pool....and I have a passion for songwriting.

I've wondered how much musical preference is influenced by one's personality type.....looking for like minded folks....so I do a Google search for "intp songwriting" before posting here just to see if I can narrow my interest to a niche forum.....

....and the first link starts off, "Hi All,
    I enjoy song writing and try to write a song a week......"

.....and I think, "Cool, that's what I do, too!"....click on the link and see.....

..... it's a post I wrote.....5 years ago

Well, the intro still works so, I'll just recycle the old post as I am sure other INTPs can relate to single minded focus/vision for years at a time....

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ongwriter.html

Hi All,

I enjoy song writing and try to write a song a week. I like various music styles and the challenge of trying to step into others shoes so to say when writing.

Here is where I post my weekly song assignments:

http://www.soundclick.com/JamesSundaySongWritersGroup

.....so any INTPs want to discuss songwriting?

Cheers!

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Hello there, JT! Five years ago? Shame you weren't at INTPCentral then – we had a mini Golden Era of Songwriting there and then.

Anyway, glad to see you here. We've got some musicians here, some of who are professionals, but overall we're fairly underrepresented compared to the programmers and software developers, I think.

So, lovely you've found your way here!

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I was in a songwriting group and here is the result:
    http://www.giraffeboards.com/blog.php?b=1553
    Here is the type of music I like:
    http://forums.intpcomplex.com/showth...u-like-amp-why
    It is nothing like the song I wrote.

Type
    INTP
    Thailand? Interesting, welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Retired
    Type
    INTP
    Hi Sappo,

>we had a mini Golden Era of Songwriting there and then.

Sounds nice!

>but overall we're fairly underrepresented compared to the programmers and software developers, I think.

Good to know. I wanted to get a music app made.

>So, lovely you've found your way here!

Thank you.

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing your song and link to your list of song likes

Hi Madrigal,

>Thailand? Interesting, welcome!

Yes, Bangkok since 1996 teaching English as a Second Language.

Thanks for the welcome.

Type
    INTP
    Welcome! I'm much more in the "appreciates song writing" category, as against having any skill or interest in doing so myself.

In any case,

Type
    INTP
    Yep, there are a few musicians and a few other creative-types around here, so it's not all programmers. Wish I had enough aptitude for music to be able to write songs.

Kudos for keeping up a weekly creative project for what looks like a long time. Where do you get your prompts from?

Type
    xNxx
    Good lord you need a "best of" list! 400+ songs.

I love discussing songwriting! let's do it

Retired
    Type
    INTP
    Thanks for sharing and for the welcome, Ptah.

Kudos for keeping up a weekly creative project for what looks like a long time.
    Thanks for the reply, Gator. This is my 7th year on the weekly challenges. I had been songwriting before the weekly challenges as well, but once I found out about weekly challenges, it seemed a great balance between focusing on a topic and also letting go.....as too much focus can also be a challenge for INTPs

Where do you get your prompts from?
    Here is the main site:
    http://www.guitarnoise.com/
    Guitar Noise > Forums > Songwriting > Sunday Songwriters Group
    http://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=23

Here is an example....This is this week's topic:
    http://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/vi...c164e8a795ca73

=====example assignment=====
    SSG Year 13 Week 15
    Hello to all

I usually don't get a full week to remind them that Valentine's Day is drawing near, so it's feeling strange to talk about it this early.

But it is coming. And your task this week is to write a song that you can imagine being covered by none other than Frank Sinatra himself, even though he obviously won't be able to do so. But if you think about it, writing a song that Old Blue Eyes would cover means that you've probably written a song that would make anyone's Valentine's Day.

As always, I look forward to reading and to listening to what you come up with.

Peace
    =====

Hi stuck,

Good lord you need a "best of" list! 400+ songs.
    That's a great suggestion. I would have a hard time picking and choosing b/c I often want to know what the listener wants, then pick/write a song to meet the need.

However, I think you are right in that most would see the list and not want to bother sifting through all the misses to find a "hit"

I love discussing songwriting! let's do it
    Cool! Do you have songs posted?

The first discussion could be, "What is your songwriting process?"

Here's mine.............

I often start with the lyrics.....

Once I have an idea, I can get to finishing the song....

Until I have I idea, I have a routine that I follow until I find the idea to write about.

I often start with a title then ask a lot of questions about that title.

For example:
    What does the title mean literally?
    What does the title mean figuratively?

Asking the W questions:
    Who is saying this title and to whom?
    Why are they saying it?
    Where are they saying it?
    When in the day, calendar year, when in the relationship (beginning middle end)?.....etc

If no ideas came, I find rhymes for each word in the title (Pat Pattison's idea)....this not only gives me rhymes, but also sparks ideas of what the song can be about.

If no ideas came, I'll Google some quotes or jokes about what topic might fit the title.

If no ideas came, I sleep on it and see what my first thoughts are in the morning.....I'm no longer surprised when I get the idea during a morning shower.

Usually by this point and idea has come.....but.....

If no ideas came, I'll take a musical approach......I'll sing the title 3 times as the chorus to see how the words fit.

If I like the chords, I'll think of the tension chord I want going into the chorus

Then I'll think of the verse chords that contrast the chorus

If an idea still doesn't come, I will start writing a first line and then keep asking, "And then what.....and then what,,,, and then what"

By committing a week to an idea, an idea almost always gets made into a song.

Once I finish the song of the week, I spend the rest of the time reading or doing something regarding songwriting to keep learning.

Having developed a routine helps me make the most of my waiting time until I get that idea.

....maybe we'll need to start a new thread somewhere on the forum

Type
    INTP
    Most people would consider me a reasonably fine amateur pianist (mostly classical, but I can play anything). But, I couldn't write a song if my life depended on it. You either have it or you don't. I don't.