Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Valentines Day

Type
    INTP
    Wherefore art thou @Horatio? The day seems eternally empty without you.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    mr oxy and I mutually agreed to blow off valentine's day. Sometimes he doesn't listen and gets things anyway, and then I feel annoyingly compelled to scrounge something up at the last second.

We're both INTP's, and I love him to bits. But after a decade, I don't give a shit about this holiday anymore.

I feel like this is the only place I know online or irl where this sentiment may be adequately appreciated.
    Yeah that is pretty much where A and I are with it. First year or two a peremptory card exchange and vague promise of doing something sometime soon, which has morphed into neither of us pretending to care about it. We don't give each other Christmas presents either. It is how you show you care across the year that counts, not some daft marketing gimmick.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by djm View Post
    It is how you show you care across the year that counts, not some daft marketing gimmick.
    +1

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    ditto
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Valentine's Day is kinda weird, sure, but ignoring it when you're in a relationship is even weirder IMO.

Also, here we call it "Día de los enamorados".
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

We both did job interviews. Luckily she considers money romantic.

Type
    INTP
    I totally forgot it was Valentine's Day until I looked at a calendar at like three this afternoon. Then I sent my boyfriend a text all like "Sup, babe? Happy V Day. *emojis*"

Yeah I'm killin' it.

Also I nailed (in more than one sense) his birthday, which was like last week.

The more I treat certain aspects of this relationship as if I'm a frat boy and he's a sorority girl, the more successful I seem to be.

Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by djm View Post
    It is how you show you care across the year that counts, not some daft marketing gimmick.
    I'd rather be given a rose one day out of the year than be given a rose every single day.

Yeah you can tell your gf that you think Valentine's Day is a marketing gimmick and that you shouldn't celebrate it all you like. Your gf will nod in agreement like a good girl but she's secretly wishing for a surprise, however small. Everyone wants to feel special.

Of course it's different if you're 5 years into a relationship and heaps settled. But if you're a fresh couple and you're not taking the opportunity to make your partner feel special & loved then you're doing it wrong.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Type
    INTP
    If you need someone of the opposite sex to buy you a symbol of a consumer holiday in order to feel special, you're doing it wrong.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    If you need someone of the opposite sex to buy you a symbol of a consumer holiday in order to feel special, you're doing it wrong.

I don’t take advice from clinically depressed people.

Edit: lol that sounds condescending but I mean it in the way I wouldn’t get a medical checkup from a doctor that smokes, just doesn’t really make sense.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof