Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Habit fields

  1. #1
    <3 gator's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,432
    INTPx Award Winner

    Habit fields

    Most mornings I type out my morning pages over breakfast. I generally use my ipad for this, because it's very portable, and then I send the text to myself to save. But the past few days I have been having difficulty connecting to the internet with my ipad, and because I didn't have the time to troubleshoot I took my laptop downstairs instead.

    It was a lot harder to write on my laptop. I kept feeling distracted, kept feeling the urge to look things up on the internet. I just couldn't seem to concentrate on finishing that task.

    There's a concept for this: habit fields.

    I find it useful when I am trying to hack my brain.

  2. #2
    TJ TeresaJ's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    mosquito-infested hell
    Posts
    2,373
    Useful concept.

    ^ Useless post. But on the other hand I'm reading the article thinking of how to apply it to my own life to keep my mind from wandering, and meanwhile this thread is sitting here with no replies. So I wanted to at least acknowledge it as the Socially Responsible Forum Member I every now and then aspire to be.

  3. #3
    Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Posts
    5,669
    AKA:

    Down with hotdesking!
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

  4. #4
    Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,002
    INTPx Award Winner
    It reminds me of a song I like - Billy Field's "Bad Habits"

  5. #5
    Member Veronica's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    90
    Really good read! I will test some of these concepts ASAP.
    I was Isagel in another place....

  6. #6
    <3 gator's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,432
    INTPx Award Winner
    It's probably the same reason why I have a much harder time reading books in my room than I do at the kitchen table. You all might make similar revelations if you stop and think about what you habitually do and where.

    In a more general sense, I suppose it speaks to the value of embedding ritual into our everyday lives. It's not for nothing that lots of legendary writers seemed to have weird habits, because those things probably helped them prepare psychologically for that task.

  7. #7
    dormant jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    zone 10a
    Posts
    5,763
    this is the reason why i have two desks, one for working & making and the other for whateverz, but it doesn't really work. i've been toying around with the idea of making the work desk a standing desk so i'm forced to not fuck around on it and it'd be better for my back or something, but that scares me. what if my legs get tired??? i spend so much time here cuz all my technology is connected to this desk.

    in college i picked up this habit of writing on my laptop in bed and that was pretty awful but i still write some of my most productive emails that way.

    i have awful habits centered around my laptop and this site.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Linnea's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,458
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    i've been toying around with the idea of making the work desk a standing desk so i'm forced to not fuck around on it and it'd be better for my back or something, but that scares me. what if my legs get tired??? i spend so much time here cuz all my technology is connected to this desk.
    I added some shelves on top of my desk to make it higher so I can use it while standing. I find that I move around a lot more if I work standing. I stretch and fidget and take more regular breaks. I've not had any problems with my back or legs but I would guess that fidgeting around has a lot to do with it. Staying stationary would probably cause more strain.

  9. #9
    dormant jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    zone 10a
    Posts
    5,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnea View Post
    I added some shelves on top of my desk to make it higher so I can use it while standing. I find that I move around a lot more if I work standing. I stretch and fidget and take more regular breaks. I've not had any problems with my back or legs but I would guess that fidgeting around has a lot to do with it. Staying stationary would probably cause more strain.
    installing shelves is actually a really good idea since i tend to leave my supplies cluttered and stacked on and around the desk.

    i'm more seriously considering it now, a standing desk with a tall stool in case my legs do get tired. standing isn't that bad and at least it'll force me to keep my back straight while sitting.

  10. #10
    Member HilbertSpace's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    installing shelves is actually a really good idea since i tend to leave my supplies cluttered and stacked on and around the desk.

    i'm more seriously considering it now, a standing desk with a tall stool in case my legs do get tired. standing isn't that bad and at least it'll force me to keep my back straight while sitting.
    I have a sit/stand desk at work (one with an electric motor that raises and lowers the desk). I highly recommend standing desks, at least for part of the day. At first, your legs might get tired (although you end up compensating by shifting your weight back and forth unconsciously), and it might help to set goals like working for two hours standing before moving into sitting.

    The motorized ones can be pricey ($3k, iirc), but you can get desk attachment ones that can still raise and lower a keyboard/monitor setup for around 10% of that, I believe. Of course, if the main focus of the desk isn't holding a keyboard and monitor, this way wouldn't work at all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •