Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Habit fields

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    ^ About a month ago I got frustrated with sitting and destroyed one of my two chairs (still have some of the parts sitting around that I use for odd purposes).

My dresser is now my "standing desk". I alternate between standing and lying down. I've decided that sitting for any period of time is bad. Rather than 3k on a motorized desk, I think I'd just move a cheap dresser and mattress into my office.

This is one reason that I think that school is evil.. Because it forces you to sit for long periods of time in really bad chairs.

Type
    INTJ
    I can't believe the hype surrounding standing desks. All they do is remind me of former cloakroom and hotel jobs.

I'll be giving the habit fields a try, though.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    I can't believe the hype surrounding standing desks. All they do is remind me of former cloakroom and hotel jobs.

I'll be giving the habit fields a try, though.
    I get that, but a fair number of recent (2014) studies indicate that sitting at a desk all day may be fairly detrimental to your health.

Mayo Clinic:
    Researchers have linked sitting for long periods of time with a number of health concerns, including obesity and metabolic syndrome — a cluster of conditions that includes increased blood pressure, high blood sugar, excess body fat around the waist and abnormal cholesterol levels.
    Sitting in front of the TV isn't the only concern. Any extended sitting — such as behind a desk at work or behind the wheel — can be harmful. What's more, spending a few hours a week at the gym or otherwise engaged in moderate or vigorous activity doesn't seem to significantly offset the risk.

Rather, the solution seems to be less sitting and more moving overall. You might start by simply standing rather than sitting whenever you have the chance.
    WebMD:

The studies just keep coming. Sitting our life away, it seems, may be very bad for our health and even our life expectancy.

Just since January, researchers have reported that sitting for long hours is linked to:

Worse mental health
    A higher risk of death from heart disease and other causes
    A higher risk of being disabled
    The new studies add even more weight to earlier research suggesting that too much sitting is bad -- even if you get regular exercise.
    I am still questioning some of the correlation/causation here, but from what I've seen (it's not something I actively follow) it has held up to meta-analysis so far. My desk was recommended after an ergo eval at work, and so they paid for it. Still, it has worked out well enough for me that I'm considering building one at home.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    This reminds me that the people in our lives are also habit fields.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    It's a very short leap, as far as I can tell, from 'habit fields' to 'energy fields'(like M-Fields if you're into the theories of Rupert Sheldrake http://www.sheldrake.org/Articles&Pa...hic_intro.html), and other seemingly invisible organizing principles...cues that we respond to so quickly and efficiently without even really having to process anything. Makes me think of the way a school of fish moves in unison, or the particularly beautiful phenomenon of Starling murmuration...where the individuals seem to be organized according to some sort of field principle, because responding only to stuff in the proximity by means of what we can process through conscious or even active-unconscious perception would be too limited (or so it seems).

I guess this is a good place to mention the disconnect academically I feel between pdf books and physical books. I have yet to determine whether monetary investment is a factor as pdf acquisition can be... much cheaper.

on another note in terms of music I've read the thoughts of tom jenkinson aka squarepusher and richard james aka afx on the influence on creative output of the physical interface and sensory experience of a particular instrument and as well the limitations. I feel it is especially relevant in an era where computers can, excepting performance replicate almost anything.

that's why I've lately returned to dedicated hardware. hoping for some inspiration from limitation.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    this has become a bit of a theme in my life lately.

i can't work that much at home, but i'm trying to transform at least one of my desks into a "working desk." it's stopped being that over the past year, and i've been finding it near impossible to get anything done unless i'm physically away from my house.

my favorite cafe is one where i tend to get a lot of work done, but i need to find a new one cuz it's becoming popular, too noisy and crowded.

i now need to make it to that cafe right at opening time to get "my spot" if i'm going to work there. sometimes i can't get that spot.

but there's another thing. i feel like i just need a long line-up of different cafes, like i resist developing one regular work habit or "habit field." i need some variety in the environmental white noise to concentrate at my best, and i stagnate when i can't physically change location to another cafe or switch settings.

it's really weird! and frustrating.

one of my most reliable "habit fields" used to be my bed when writing applications/essays/etc. but that doesn't work for me anymore, thankfully.

during my break i'd like to make my room feel more liveable and work-able (?). i really wanna be able to work on my desktop computer.
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly