Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft HoloLens

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Microsoft HoloLens

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us

It is good how people can see identical holograms and have some of them private.

It is like Google's Glass which had a HUD except this is a lot more advanced. In the video it shows that Minecraft is featured - BTW Microsoft bought the creator of Minecraft, Mojang, for $2.5 billion.
    Last edited by JohnClay; 02-15-2015 at 06:08 AM.

I wonder how long it will take for running around my living room karate chopping ghost nazis to get old.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Is there anything on this that isn't an artificial render from a press release?

Type
    IXTP
    Why are they calling it "holograms" isn't it just augmented reality?

Also I doubt it'll look anywhere near as good as the video. To generate visuals like that on the fly you would need some serious hardware. Like a PC with atleast a quad core cpu and a high end graphics card. Being a wearable device it's probably going to have an ARM based processor in it. So the visual quality would be similar to what a smartphone is capable of.

Type
    iNtP
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    Is there anything on this that isn't an artificial render from a press release?
    was thinking the exact same thing, and normally once MS spend enough time focus driven by dollars into any good and original idea's they have, it turns to shit
    Just look at the blue sky

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkovChain View Post
    That way they can use terms like "holographic computing" which is a bit catchier.

Also I doubt it'll look anywhere near as good as the video. To generate visuals like that on the fly you would need some serious hardware. Like a PC with atleast a quad core cpu and a high end graphics card. Being a wearable device it's probably going to have an ARM based processor in it. So the visual quality would be similar to what a smartphone is capable of.
    Smart phones already can have quad cores and maybe the HoloLens would have more than 4 cores... I think some GPUs involve more than a hundred cores... Microsoft delivered with the Kinect so I believe that the HoloLens video would be pretty accurate.
    BTW those images don't have a great deal of polygons - it isn't GTA V graphics

As far as what a smartphone is capable of checkout "Infinity Blade" that was released in 2010....
    http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...20121015230641
    Last edited by JohnClay; 02-15-2015 at 11:06 AM.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkovChain View Post
    To be fair, they aren't alone in this kind of shit. IBM has coined the term "cognitive computing" essentially for marketing purposes. Every time i hear one of their guys talk/present, its "we're doing cognitive computing now. It doesn't have meaning A, which you think it does. We've defined it as meaning B, which we made up and happens to coincide with our actual product. Now look at all our marketing material which only makes explicit and implicit references to meaning A. Its like we're in the future and sci-fi movies!!!!! Whoa!!!! Awesome!!!! (footnote: but we can't do any of that, because we're talking about meaning B).

But anyway, back to "holograms"...

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    This, hands down, is the most horrifying thing I have seen in a long time.

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    This, hands down, is the most horrifying thing I have seen in a long time.
    Do tell.
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

Type
    Xxxx
    This surplus product is an embodiment, a caricature, a holographic image of a decaying economic system.