Thread: Educational Woes

Type
    INFP

Educational Woes

A few semesters ago, I got medical withdrawals in all of my classes, which means that I didn't end up with credit or grades for any of those classes. At the beginning of the next semester, financial aid sent me an email saying that I had to submit an SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress) Appeal if I wanted to get my financial aid package. I asked them why this was, seeing as no one had told me about this before (and I had spoken with financial aid the previous semester - no mention of SAP) and I got conflicting messages. One person said there was probably a mistake - it's for students who are on academic probation, which I was not - another person said it was just a formality. But they insisted that I do the SAP Appeal - ie explain why I deserve financial aid and how I plan to make satisfactory academic progress in the upcoming semester - so I did. I got the full package back.

This semester, something similar happened to me and for various reasons I didn't want to get medical withdrawals again, so I took Incompletes in all my classes, which meant that I would have an extended timeframe to finish all my work. I failed one of them. Despite this F grade, my GPA was still high enough to keep me in the honors program, I had made the dean's list several semesters before, and I had never gotten a grade remotely as low before this point. But, because I didn't get credit for that class, I didn't make Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Therefore:
    -I would have to take 24 credits in a semester if/when I return to school. My college does not permit students to sign up for more than 17 credits per semester, so this is impossible. And, even if I did somehow manage to sign up for that many classes, it seems likely that they would only give me a fraction of my financial aid (which, in combination with a few comparatively minor loans, originally covered all costs).
    -I will have to finish my degree before 2017. If I fail to do so, I will not qualify for any financial aid from my school. Moreover, I won't qualify for federal loans, which means that I'll basically never be able to get a Bachelor's Degree anywhere.

So, basically, I'm never going to be able to get a BA. At this point in time that's actually ok with me - I want to become an EMT and maybe work my way up to paramedic - but I hate the feeling of closed doors. More importantly, I hate the feeling of injustice. I feel like this is entirely undeserved. I've worked very hard, all my professors liked me, I got excellent grades, and I'm being told that my academic progress is unsatisfactory so I'll never be welcome back. I had valid medical issues that were thoroughly documented, I was getting treatment for them, I had the backing of the Dean of Student Affairs, everyone was on my side except for the financial aid office, and this whole ordeal seems like it might be the product of some simple bureaucratic fuck up, but they won't back down. It's very frustrating.

Anyway, that's my rant.

Type
    INTP
    ^why don't you just pick up the extra 6 credits over the summer and transfer them in? Cheaper than another full semester.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_Bookrose View Post
    ^why don't you just pick up the extra 6 credits over the summer and transfer them in? Cheaper than another full semester.
    That would be a great idea, but they don't give financial aid to people taking summer classes. Well, they have a lottery for a very small amount of summer financial aid but it's a lottery. And it's unlikely that they'll have the higher level English classes that I'd need to take - I looked before and they only had "general education" courses.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    I'll basically never be able to get a Bachelor's Degree anywhere.
    I thought this too. But there are rules set at the federal level and there are rules left to be set by individual schools.

My first go around with a university, I withdrew from more courses than I completed and lost a full scholarship and financial aid. I then spent some time at the CC level (where I continued to withdraw from more courses than I completed, but this time with a perfect GPA) and still didn't receive any financial aid. I too looked at all the rules and figured that it would be impossible to get a BA with financial aid because I wasn't making SAP, but I submitted apps to UCs anyway. They accepted me as a transfer and their attitude was basically "we do what we want" and that they make their own rules for this sort of thing and that since I was accepted I would be eligible for federal aid for two academic years, so long as I made SAP while there. In other words, I was basically given a clean academic slate and 60 thousand dollars in grants to cover the two years.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    I thought this too. But there are rules set at the federal level and there are rules left to be set by individual schools.

My first go around with a university, I withdrew from more courses than I completed and lost a full scholarship and financial aid. I then spent some time at the CC level (where I continued to withdraw from more courses than I completed, but this time with a perfect GPA) and still didn't receive any financial aid. I too looked at all the rules and figured that it would be impossible to get a BA with financial aid because I wasn't making SAP, but I submitted apps to UCs anyway. They accepted me as a transfer and their attitude was basically "we do what we want" and that they make their own rules for this sort of thing and that since I was accepted I would be eligible for federal aid for two academic years, so long as I made SAP while there. In other words, I was basically given a clean academic slate and 60 thousand dollars in grants to cover the two years.
    Wow.

I'll try not to catastrophize. Your story is reassuring.