Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are you at finding stuff?

Type
    INTP

How are you at finding stuff?

I remember being slower than average at search-a-word puzzles in Jr. High and I remember having trouble finding things on store shelves that were right in front of me. I even decided at a young age that I need to look left to right, top to bottom, systematically to make sure I don't miss something because too often I would. Oh, I was bad at finding my Bingo number too. Someone would always point out that I missed one. I don't think I was horribly bad at any of the above (Bingo may have been the worst but my memory is very vague and I may have been very young) but I did seem to notice some possible difficulty. Anyone else?

...just remembered I was worse than most at finding frogs at sleep away camp.
    Last edited by BarIII; 02-21-2015 at 01:45 AM.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    when it comes to word searches and finding stuff amongst a lot of details i'm usually pretty good, probably better than average.

when trying to find things hidden amongst clutter i haven't touched in months it's a different story.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    I spot parallel fifths and octaves a mile away – unless they make sense, at which point I am oblivious to them. In texts, spelling mistakes, too, instantly "light up".

That said, I can relate to the store shelf issue, since I am probably a shop assistant's nightmare ("Excuse me, where's the...?" "Sorry to bother you again, but..." "Oh, one last thing, if you please..." "My sincere apologies, it seems I still can't find..."). It also takes me a considerable time to remember addresses, since I tend to walk past houses despite already having been in them. I'm also terrible at spotting faces in a crowded place, unless people wave and shout my name.

Type
    INTP
    Finding I can do, remembering I cannot.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    @stigmatica has a very reliable spell that renders things invisible to only himself. To cast it on an object, he has but to decide he wants to find that object. A curious side effect of the spell is that it causes the object in question to become a neon glowing fireball of obviousness to his wife and daughter.

For about two years after we moved into our house I knew where everything was because I am the putter of all the things in this household. But after that, I started forgetting stuff that I hadn't put anywhere since the initial move. Apparently I only have a two year backup on my spatial memory before I overwrite.

Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    @stigmatica has a very reliable spell that renders things invisible to only himself. To cast it on an object, he has but to decide he wants to find that object. A curious side effect of the spell is that it causes the object in question to become a neon glowing fireball of obviousness to his wife and daughter.
    Tis true. Also the reason I have a traffic cone orange wallet. When I work on cars, I spend half the time looking for tools I just had in my hand seconds ago. When I leave for work in the morning, it's not unlikely for me to do things in the following order:

1. Get dressed go downstairs.
    2. Grab wallet
    3. Realize my shoes are upstairs, subconsciously put wallet down to go get shoes.
    4. Wonder what the hell I did with my wallet
    5. Grab my laptop bag
    6. Put laptop bag down subconsciously somewhere to grab something to eat
    7. Get in car, start engine
    8. Realize I don't have my laptop (This happened once only after arriving at work)
    9. Go get laptop
    10. Get in car, and spend a few minutes checking that I have everything.
    11. Go!
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I'm pretty average at finding things. However, I used to be terrible at remembering where I left things. My brain has a tendency to go off chasing mental rabbits sometimes when I'm very focused on a line of thought. So sometimes I would come home and leave my wallet, phone and keys somewhere ... random. And then I would try to puzzle out where they were later and have trouble. You'd think with my phone it would be easy to find but half the time when I was deep in thought I'd turn the ringer off. One especially stupid time, I'd left them in the refrigerator -- because I was afraid I'd forget a lunch I'd packed myself for the next day and figured I'd remember my wallet etc.

Anyway I came up with a system to solve this where I designated one spot in my house as the wallet/keys/phone location and always put them there.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    I used to know where everything in the apartment was until I started making things neater and more hidden. I don't have all the locations memorized anymore and it's harder to check the various boxes an item may be in. But I like efficiency and I make really efficient use of the space. It's just things like finding frogs in the woods that I wish I was better at.

Curious Conlanger epistemophiliac's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Not sure if this counts, but I always create new documents on my computer to write down ideas and other stuff, but when I save it I don't really think about it and either just save it as the automatic "Document (insert number)" or I quickly hit random keys on the keyboard and save it... Weeks later I spend hours looking for a document I was working on out of the hundreds of other documents on my computer. lol

Quote Originally Posted by epistemophiliac View Post
    Not sure if this counts, but I always create new documents on my computer to write down ideas and other stuff, but when I save it I don't really think about it and either just save it as the automatic "Document (insert number)" or I quickly hit random keys on the keyboard and save it... Weeks later I spend hours looking for a document I was working on out of the hundreds of other documents on my computer. lol
    LOL - Like father like son. My work computer has hundreds of .sql files named as you state. When I need to do a complicated query I've done before, or similar to one I've done before, it's usually faster just to start from scratch rather than find it in the folder of generically named and numbered .sql files.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber