3 9.38%
  • No, with little to no hesitation answering

4 12.50%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Like America?

Type
    INTx

Do You Like America?

Question inspired by Rudy Giuliani: Do You Like America?

Type
    INFP
    I like the Mexican and Canadian parts of it.

I find it difficult to answer such a broad question. I love a lot of things about the US. But it's also genocidal and suicidal so unfortunately I must lean towards the "no" side of the scale.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post

I find it difficult to answer such a broad question. I love a lot of things about the US. But it's also genocidal and suicidal so unfortunately I must lean towards the "no" side of the scale.
    I used to feel that way, but recently I've been thinking that we could be a lot worse. So, ehhh, yes on balance. I don't really like the climate of anti-intellectualism (and how many places are really better with that other than in my own mind?), but I really like the Bill of Rights. I think too many people feel entitled to stupidity, and like the nourishing breast milk that comes with being a follower, but that might just be a human problem. I definitely think we have problems, but maybe we're better than a lot of other places.

I guess I've recently come to feel that my problems with America are really just problems with humanity in general. It's not like I'm going to go to some Third World country and not find the same kinds of things. I don't see much to suggest that other people have found much better ways of dealing with some of these issues. I think what we need to do as a country is focus more on our own internal problems, and worry less about the rest of the world; think locally, act locally. That won't happen barring major changes, though.

We've made progress on things, which doesn't mean that there's no more progress to be made. We're not enslaving minorities anymore, unlike other places, which straight out do that. Income inequality, racial inequalities, and sexual inequalities are still big issues, but we're not the only country with those problems by a long shot.
    Last edited by msg_v2; 02-21-2015 at 04:19 PM.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ

I take it you have no idea how disgustingly horrible and corrupt the government of mexico is. If you think Uncle Sam is a dick you probably should stay away from Tio Jos.
    Then why did he put the Devil in me?

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I used to feel that way, but recently I've been thinking that we could be a lot worse.
    Yeah. I used to think that way too. I've traveled to quite a few different countries and they're all pretty fucked up in one way or another. What I like about the United States is that it's huge and there are many empty spaces remaining. It's a very diverse place and it changes rapidly. I remember listening to someone complaining in San Francisco about an eyesore of a skyscraper they were putting up near Market and Van Ness. "It's like a huge concrete-shitting dog just squatted over our beautiful city. That thing is a fucking abomination. And the worst thing is that with a huge new building like that, we'll be stuck with it for like the next thirty years!"

And that's true, this place gets renewed, rebuilt, rejiggered all the time. Yeah, sometimes it gets fucked up really badly too but that's part of America's beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Neville
    If you think Uncle Sam is a dick you probably should stay away from Tio Jose

Neville, point on the doll to where the mean nasty Mexico touched you.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INFP
    I used to feel that way, but recently I've been thinking that we could be a lot worse.
    This sounds like a line from Dr. Strangelove.

After all, our doomsday machine only killed one million people. The toll could have been a lot worse, and by golly it was an amazing feat of engineering!

I wonder if "globalization" might undermine patriotism. Maybe (bs psychological theory) people who live in isolated areas tend to extrapolate their familial connections to a love of their country because there's nothing to prevent them from filling in the blank spaces on the map with imaginings derived from their personal histories/experiences. I have all of this information from dramatically different parts of the US I've lived in as well as the internet and I can't manage to evoke anything more than apathy in response to the "total" of this information - it's too overwhelming, there's too much to process and unite into a single emotional state. it's the best of times and the worst of times all the time.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    I take it you have no idea how disgustingly horrible and corrupt the government of mexico is. If you think Uncle Sam is a dick you probably should stay away from Tio Jos.
    It was a quip in response to the use of the word "America" in the title, which I know is standard/everyone in the world uses the word to refer to the US, but I find it entitled.

I don't actually know anything about Mexico or Canada or have strong opinions about them.

I stick by my conviction that Uncle Sam is indeed a dick. Just because I'm comfortable and I get to see lovely landscapes or whatever doesn't mean I like him as a whole. I wouldn't like a mother who coddles me but murders her other children and those of her neighbors. You can call it looking a gift-horse in the mouth, but I dislike being supported by murderers. Which isn't to say that I'll refuse that coddling - I like the support I've been granted - but I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say that I like the US in its grotesque entirety.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    This sounds like a line from Dr. Strangelove.

After all, our doomsday machine only killed one million people. The toll could have been a lot worse, and by golly it was an amazing feat of engineering!
    Sure, I won't deny that people definitely kind of suck and can be shitty. It's intellectually dishonest to me, though, to imply that non-Americans can't also suck and be shitty. I don't really see shining beacons of The Way Things Ought To Be elsewhere in the world either. Just because people bitch about us doesn't necessarily make them any better, even if they are right.

I wonder if "globalization" might undermine patriotism. Maybe (bs psychological theory) people who live in isolated areas tend to extrapolate their familial connections to a love of their country because there's nothing to prevent them from filling in the blank spaces on the map with imaginings derived from their personal histories/experiences. I have all of this information from dramatically different parts of the US I've lived in as well as the internet and I can't manage to evoke anything more than apathy in response to the "total" of this information - it's too overwhelming, there's too much to process and unite into a single emotional state. it's the best of times and the worst of times all the time.
    I think globalization can have that effect, but there's also a counterweight to this process, one of increasing Balkanization, which has become violent in many places. There's a really annoying trend recently of various groups competing with each other for who is more oppressed and therefore deserves the most attention, or has the most "right" to do things, some of which are also pretty shitty. I fail to see how any good can come from that. It just means people split from each other and fight with each other more. I'm not suggesting that everyone become the same or that all differences disappear; I'm just suggesting that people shouldn't compete for who is the most oppressed so that they can get a "Get Out of Jail Free Card" for morality. Given enough power, an oppressed group can very easily become oppressors. We see this everywhere, all over the world. The point, the goal, is to hold everyone to the same standard. And no, we aren't there yet.

I mean, I want to live in some of the places dominated by "anti-imperialist" movements even less. I like this place better than Iraq or North Korea or Russia.

Type
    INFP
    It's intellectually dishonest to me, though, to imply that non-Americans can't also suck and be shitty.
    ??? I never said that.

"This orange tastes too sour to me."
    "That's intellectually dishonest. Lots of oranges are completely rotten. Try eating one of those rotting oranges and then I want to hear you call this orange 'sour.'"

Type
    INTP
    I have to say yes, if for no other reason than that it has provided a first world standard of living for more people than any other nation in history.

While we started off pretty unusually (inspiringly so, to me) I find it increasingly difficult to see substantial differences between America and a lot of other countries. We get called out a lot for being the global hegemon, but this is only the result of having a large population, not of any true ideological difference from other countries (i.e. there would be a Western bloc with or without America. We just run the show because we're big.) Traditionally, America is a relatively non-interventionist country, but this is one of many differences that have faded away with time.