View Poll Results: Is it?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope, it's a groundless, useless theory

4 13.79%
  • Although imperfect, it's a useful tool

19 65.52%
  • Yes, and i define myself as INTP (or wtv)

3 10.34%
  • INFP

3 10.34%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is MBTI still relevant to you?

Type
    Xxxx

Is MBTI still relevant to you?

I am occasionally reminded that this is an mbti related forum.

Type
    INTP
    Not really. For a while it was really important for helping me figure myself out and find a peer group. Now: not so much. I've moved past most of that.

Type
    INXX
    It illuminates my strengths and weaknesses.
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

Type
    INFP
    INFP. (in other words, yes.)

I like digging up new perspectives on mbti. I assume that eventually I'll hit concrete, but for now it's a satisfying hunt.

The other day, for example, I found this fascinating snippet:

INFPs are often well rooted in the past, with a good memory of things that have happened historically, and are attracted to "collecting" facts. They sometimes have a strong grasp of family and tradition and may have a great deal of familiarity with their family tree or display an interest in genealogy. They may act as the "family historian" at times, knowing who begat whom and how a particular branch is related. They have long memories. I know one INFP who could recite from memory what year of childhood he first spoke or began walking, including details about what hairstyles he wore at different stages of life! Others like to visit the same places frequently, and let their minds drift back in time to recall previous visits. Nostalgia is often engaged, and they enjoy telling stories from their past. (Introverted Sensing is a cultural norm in the U.S., so it seems fairly "typical" to look to the past this way.) One INFP tells how he enjoys his routines, his habits, doing things by rote. He does the everyday chores of maintaining his home, and these keep him in his comfort zone. Similarly, sometimes INFPs will stay at the same job for years because they're used to it -- even when the job stinks. (A friend of mine stayed at a dreadful job for 9 years!) INFPs sometimes display "body wisdom," and their bodies can be barometers for how they are feeling, whether through illness, food allergies, or headaches. They are often given to taking medications to control their physical being in some fashion. (On a Yahoo Group one time when there was a discussion of medications, it was a veritable drugstore! It seemed every one of them was popping pills to control something.) These are all common ways that Si will manifest in the INFP type code...

I've also seen INFPs revel in the past and spend much time on "Memory Lane." Recently I caught up with an INFP I hadn't corresponded with in several years, and all the chat was about the "old days" and wallowing in memories of the past. When she crafted a post to an email list, it invariably referenced her personal history -- either her educational background, failed relationships, past experiences -- these were always her come-froms. One time she posted regarding a bout of depression she suffered a decade ago, and the very memory made her cry. (Introverted Sensing isn't simply about remembering something; it's about recalling an experience in every way -- actually re-living it as if it is happening again for the first time.) This same gal also devoted quite a bit of energy comparing her current email list to an email list she used to belong to (Si does comparing). One time she produced a set of "rules" when she thought a list-member was going out of bounds (even whilst claiming she could never be as rule-bound as an SJ). She was astonishingly unaware of how much time she spent living in the past. All her frames of reference seemed to be about yesterday, and what had changed. When given a choice between something old and something new, she seemed to reject the new in favor of the known.
    That's me.

Type
    INFP
    I think it's great for navigating the working world and self-assessment but gets really murky when intimacy comes into the picture.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    i don't think it's completely useless, but i don't find it personally useful anymore to how i see the world and wish to develop. so i'd vote for both option 1 and 2 if i could.

Type
    Xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    i don't think it's completely useless, but i don't find it personally useful anymore to how i see the world and wish to develop. so i'd vote for both option 1 and 2 if i could.
    I find it mildly pernicious, it leads to simplistic faulty impressions about other people, and in some cases, if somebody's impressionable, a distorted image of oneself.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    INFP.

The other day, for example, I found this fascinating snippet:

That's me.
    Similar perspective.
    I wouldn't be here if it were not for Paul James' INTP Profile. It seemed phenomenally accurate, and when I googled more info, I found c.

Before reading the profile, I'd pretty much always dismissed this kind of stuff as 'soft science' and not worth my interest. But James' Profile convinced me that there was value to be had.

And to illustrate its continuing value from my POV I can say here with expectations of being understood that, at that time, MBTI became the latest rabbit hole I was rabid to explore.

I guess we've all come to realize its limitations, but as MJ said, it is especially good for situations like employment.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    It has helped me understand certain proclivities that people have. Really it just gives you a few boxes for recognizing preferences in people. When you can recognize a preference, behavioral patterns and disagreements become clear and somewhat predictable. It's useful for that.

Ironically, when I joined the community 10 years ago, I identified as hardcore INTP despite that being the time when I probably looked, sounded and acted least like one. I feel like I've made a certain journey back to introversion over the years, in the sense that I have stopped forcing myself to adapt to an extroverted role in life. The stress I put myself through to go against that preference in the past has resulted in achieving more comfort with the middle ground; I don't have to brace myself in certain situations anymore. But neither do I force myself to keep pushing my limits. I know what I'm okay with. I feel like all four preferences are more balanced now than they used to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    For me it's more of a funny conversation topic among friends, and a platform to bash SJ's. That's a use.

I think it's a useful conceptual framework despite the fact that it's practical value is somewhat limited.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.