Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: St John's Wort

Type
    INFP

St John's Wort

Has anyone tried it? Did it do anything - did it have positive or negative or no effects?

Internet research has only made me more confused - dramatically different opinions and study results. I think I'll give it a try anyway.

Type
    INTP
    I tried it a bit for its alleged effect on dreams. Didn't notice much except a disagreeable taste lingering on my tongue.

Type
    INTP
    Recent studies show it to be pretty effective for mild to moderate.

But it actually does work like an antidepressant which means you have to take it seriously. You have to take it long term, gradually increase dose, take it at the same times everyday, not switch brands or doses suddenly, not stop suddenly (taper off) talk to a doctor about dug interactions, and no taking it with other as antidepressants or you could, you know, DIE.

It's a real drug, but not as consistent or regulated. It can help. But it's not some safer natural alternative to regular meds that avoids the dangers and side effects. You cant play around with it.
    Don't remember changing this.

Societal egress and ennui Catoptric's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    TLDR

TRIMTHYLGLYCINE

TMG works well. I already knew what you were thinking. . . I'm special. . .

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by lethe View Post

But it actually does work like an antidepressant which means you have to take it seriously. You have to take it long term, gradually increase dose, take it at the same times everyday, not switch brands or doses suddenly, not stop suddenly (taper off) talk to a doctor about dug interactions, and no taking it with other as antidepressants or you could, you know, DIE.

It's a real drug, but not as consistent or regulated. It can help. But it's not some safer natural alternative to regular meds that avoids the dangers and side effects. You cant play around with it.
    Important enough to re-emphasize .

It had no noticeable affect for me, but I know many of the old crowd here value it.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by lethe View Post

Noted, thanks.
    Maybe I could just sprinkle it on the snow instead of digesting it. The snow is the problem.
    (I am cautious about anti-depressants, so that's a mark against it. I'll research more.)

Type
    INFP
    ok, I took two last night, two this morning (I'd already bought some on a whim before I made the op).

WOW.

It has to be the placebo effect if it seems to have worked right away, right?

But if it's the placebo effect, this is a really really strong placebo. I feel euphoric. All those annoying little blocks that prevent me from starting all sorts of activities - gone. I had potatoes and blueberries for breakfast, and I washed the blueberries before eating them ! No pesticides here! No aches and pains. I slept properly and woke up refreshed with lots of morning ahead of me. It's a snow day, no work, and feel like going outside and kissing the snow - we're on completely OK terms now. I'm going to go for a run, send emails that need to be sent, be a real person. All is right in the world.

This can't be real, right (has to be a placebo)?

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    ok, I took two last night, two this morning (I'd already bought some on a whim before I made the op).

WOW.

It has to be the placebo effect if it seems to have worked right away, right?

But if it's the placebo effect, this is a really really strong placebo. I feel euphoric. All those annoying little blocks that prevent me from starting all sorts of activities - gone. I had potatoes and blueberries for breakfast, and I washed the blueberries before eating them ! No pesticides here! No aches and pains. I slept properly and woke up refreshed with lots of morning ahead of me. It's a snow day, no work, and feel like going outside and kissing the snow - we're on completely OK terms now. I'm going to go for a run, send emails that need to be sent, be a real person. All is right in the world.

This can't be real, right (has to be a placebo)?
    Or you are just swinging back into a mania?
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INtP
    ^Whoa, "back into mania"? St. John's wort is not good for bipolar people. Mood stabilizers over anti-depressants in general.

But if you continue to take it, nobody else has mentioned that it may render hormonal birth control less effective, if that's a concern for you.
    Last edited by oxyjen; 03-05-2015 at 01:22 AM.

Type
    INFP
    I don't think it would happen this fast and I'm not sure that I'm bipolar.
    I'll keep taking it and see what happens. It'll be an experiment.