Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your earliest memories

Type
    INFP

Your earliest memories

My first memory is either 1.watching my mom curled up on a step holding her toe because she stubbed it or 2. Crying into the night sky as my Elmo balloon floated away. I don't know which one came first.

Rolling around on a white carpet with sunlit curtains everywhere

Pretending to be able to read the word stop but actually only recognizing it because it appeared on a stop sign, then feeling guilty because my parents got excited

Having a nightmare about monsters climbing out of the mouth of my teddy bear

Being held by my dad as he got tacos while my mom was really sick at home.

A man sat on my toy in a convenience store and I threw a tantrum

Watching a girl I considered cool pick her nose and imitating her. Beginning of a longlasting susceptibility to peer pressure I guess.

Going to a kid's birthday party, eating some delicious strawberry cake, and getting my head stuck between the bars of a fence

What are yours?
    Last edited by Blorg; 03-08-2015 at 09:36 PM.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Not sure. Earliest memories include being on holiday in France having a fit of pique because I didn't get an ice cream shaped like a foot. Having really bad chickenpox with a correspondingly bad fever and thinking insects were crawling out the ceiling. Being looked after by my grandmother and being taken to the 'Savacentre' - a giant Sainsbury's in Hempstead, and being read from a 1930's which included such fascinating examples as quaggas which I was told was extinct. Also - watching children's TV, things like Thomas the Tank engine and the animated alphabet. Apparently when I was 2 or 3 I used to recite the alphabet backwards or something (I also learnt to read and do arithmetic long before most of my compeers). Actually an early memory is also doing arithmetic on the numbers 1 to 10 and seeing the patterns in how they add up or subtract.

I remember the first news event - it was general reporting from the war in Bosnia that was taking place at the time.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Pan_Sonic_000
    My parents bought me this series of cassette tapes for kids - where the narrator would travel back in time to see dinosaurs or out into deep space. I think there were a few others, like famous cities or something. There was a corresponding activity book where you followed along and drew pictures of whatever was being imagined via the narration, like a Brontosaurus eating vegetation or the spaceship traveling around a star.

I vaguely remember sitting in our upstairs hallway, near a kitchen listening to the tapes and drawing.

I also remember being put down for an afternoon nap by my mom and / or grandmother and not really wanting to sleep.

Type
    INTP
    I'm not sure which of these happened first:

1: I was sleepy and leaning against my dad with my head on his chest while we were sitting on the couch. I remember liking the way his voice sounded when he talked when my ear was pressed up against his chest.

2: I was watching my dad give my infant brother a bath and my brother pooped in the bath.

Actually now that I think about it I remember my brother coming home from the hospital when he was born because I helped my dad bake a birthday cake.

Type
    INTP
    My earliest *seeming* memory is actually after my earliest memory. What on earth do I mean?

Ok so - my earliest *seeming* memory is when I was about 4 and my mom and brother were out somewhere and my dad and I were going to pick them up. For some reason when I think back to that memory it feels like that's the first day of my entire life and nothing happened before that (and it was a mundane errand), but that couldn't actually be my earliest memory because ---

I have a memory of my dad tucking me into bed and I remember looking down and seeing my diaper, I remember the texture of it and that there were little cows along the waist line. I was told that I was out of diapers a touch before turning 2 (guess I'm a quick study). Although this memory *seems* like it's after the other one when I try to order my life in my head, I know it couldn't be though. Brains are weird.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    My two oldest memories are from an extremely early age (From what I gather reading the sources on such things) and involve extreme distress while in the care of strangers (nanny/babysitters).

The first is me looking up into the grimacing face of a short-term nanny as she bathed me in the bathroom sink. The water from the tap washed down over my face and I was very traumatizing by the gasping reflex. In my teens I recall times looking down at our petite little bathroom sink and marveled at how young I must have been at that time.

The second is me seaming my head off, after mom departed the sitters, as I stand holding the rails of the baby-bed like prison bars. The sitters (an older couple) are eating supper and keep losing their endurance and shout at me to shut up. This of course only makes matters worse. The grand finally comes as the baby-bed is wheeled into a completely black bedroom and the door is slammed behind me. It must have worked brilliantly as my memory fades almost as fast as the light coming in from the slamming door.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    In my crib, my mother telling me not to pull down a children's ornament that was just hung above my crib.

Societal egress and ennui Catoptric's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

I think they still use the same costumes. . .

Only I also turned on the faucets after stopping the drains, and raided the fridge (and breaking pickle jars.) I was crawling out of cribs, breaking the glass bulbs (you had to twist the bulbs to turn them off/on) of battery powered "candle sticks." Sitting in the closets reading books and playing dumb when being asked arithmetic questions by my ego-rattled father (although I guess that wasn't earliest memories.)

I never remembered the two earliest myringotomy procedures for my ear drums, though I recall having my ears cleaned out with "ear bulb" syringes/catheters, while also cutting my own hair with safety scissors to imitate the ritual, along with causing my toe nails to bleed from clippers. Sneaking past a neighbors mother when discovering the kid wasn't home, in hopes of playing Zelda on NES.

I never made mistakes twice, though I also recall developing anxieties as result of the way my parents reacted to some of these scenarios. For the longest times I would tremble in places like dentist chairs, and am not sure if it was from distinctly recalling the third operation on my ears. No longer do I drink milk, and am amazed they didn't figure that shit out. . . Well actually I'm not amazed if you figure out what all the above really indicates.
    Last edited by Catoptric; 03-09-2015 at 01:47 AM.

Type
    INTP
    My dad holding me with one arm while cutting a line of coke in the basement, surrounded by a few pot plants. Our house being robbed by someone my dad owed money to. They sent a message by killing my cat and putting it in the mailbox.

I'm just gonna stop there.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Looking out of a window over the Tom Moreland Interchange.