Thread: GhooOOOoost Stories

Type
    INTP

GhooOOOoost Stories

I have but one. It may not be as creepy as some fictional stories, but cross me heart and hope to die it's the very same one my own eyes told me... one deceivingly pleasant midsummer's day... in the ancient woodlands of New Hampshire.

Near an old friend's house there is an abandoned sledding hill. There's not much there: just a cabin and an old rope tow, ascending perhaps 100 vertical feet to the hill's summit. My friend and I were "exploring" his neck of the woods, as we often did like kids a few years younger might (I was fifteen or sixteen at the time). Without making any verbal decision to do so, we found ourselves hiking up the (very overgrown) slope. Andrew was on my left side, and the forest on my right, maybe fifteen or twenty feet away.

I kept hearing things in the forest. Twigs breaking, leaves rustling. At first I thought it must have been some animal, maybe a deer or even a bobcat. But as we continued, the sounds followed us, and I couldn't shake the feeling that it sounded like an attempt at stealth. I started to get a bit creeped out, and stopped. The sounds stopped too, just a second after I did. My friend called me a pussy and pulled me along. The soft cracking and swishing in the forest followed. I stopped once or twice more and each time the forest went suddenly silent.

My friend had been hearing it too (to a lesser extent since he was farther) but was considerably more blasť about it. That is, until we approached the summit of the hill. Something else approached from the other side. All I saw was a hat. I don't remember its shape clearly but I want to say it was one of those felt lumberjack hats. What I do remember clearly was the color: an unsullied, somehow very unsettling dove white. That's all I saw because at that instant, Andrew and I glanced at each other and hauled ass back down that hill. We jumped behind a thicket half way down and looked back up, but there was nothing there but rocks and tall grass.

We joked about it uneasily that evening but never spoke of it after that.

I presume there's a logical explanation but I've yet to come up with one seems considerably less outlandish than "that hill's totally haunted".

Type
    INTP
    You'd think there would be one ghost out of all those reported that would try proving to the world that ghosts are real by regularly writing messages on a blackboard or something. Or teaming up with a magician to do the best tricks ever that nobody could figure out. That's what I plan on doing when I become a ghost.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    One place I lived had extremely freaky weather phenomenon. Basically what you were looking at was reflected city light concentrated in a spot on the ground. What it looked like was a fog bank that was eerily illuminated. It looked like ... Something kind of impossible. I remember my friend listening to an explanation of it as a 10 year old and saying "are we really supposed to think that's less far fetched than it being just a ghost?"

Added to that, our neighborhood was a Native American burial ground. The whole place was covered in dense forest.

Lots of cool local ghost and horror stories. HP Lovecraft and Stephen King both captured the imagination of the place. And the Warrens. I liked the idea of ghosts not being dead people, but the spiritual remnants of something even older and not evil necessarily but whose goals were hostile to humanity.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTj
    Paranormal experiences? I don't have a cool ghost story, yet, but here's a story about something similar:

I was sixteen, I was coming out of a deep sleep and felt that strange sensation of being paralyzed. I tried opening my eyes, my room appeared in my field of vision and everything was normal, peaceful. I blinked and upon opening my eyes a portal ripped through this dimension and satan emerged from it, standing twenty feet tall with blackish-red skin and thick scaly claws. "This is not fucking real..." I thought to myself. I started rising off my bed, levitating in the air, the physical sensation of change in gravitational acceleration didn't wake me up, nor the fear that was now building. Satan reached out and pulled me into his rift, and I woke up, thinking -- holy fucking shit, what just happened?

Type
    INTP
    Don't remember changing this.