20% almond oil
    15% shea butter (refined)
    5% castor oil
    + a dash of purple brazilian clay for natural color
    + lavender & peppermint EOs, lavender FO
    + dried lavender buds as topping

superfatted 5%

NOTES
    the mixture reached a thick trace pretty quickly, and the soap set with these little air gaps in it due to the thickness/creaminess. it's solid right now but still kinda soft and it feels really creamy. i guess the shea butter does that (i was also impatient and waited exactly 24 hrs before cutting, haha). i wanna let this one cure for longer since i don't want it just melting away in the shower and i guess i also used more liquid than usual. i was generous with the lavender FO & EOs but didn't discount the water amount. so basically i should wait longer next time before cutting and maybe use a tiny bit less water if using liquid additives.

the peppermint isn't going to come through in the scent. i liked the idea, but wasn't too serious about it so i didn't use that much. the lavender smells great.

imo the buds as topping looks better and less "messy" when used sparingly, and the more stuff that's on top the harder it is to get a clean cut. if you cut from the top, some of the buds will get caught under the knife and slide down the sides if you're not careful.

the color turned out a nice, light rustic-looking purple and i'm OK with that.

i didn't have any major difficulties or problems with this one. this was my first attempt at a moisturizing bar and i can't wait to try it, but the longer it gets to cure the longer it'll last, and the better it'll be...
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 03-16-2015 at 02:21 AM.
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

Type
    intp
    Are you going to sell any? I'd totally buy that soap.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    Are you going to sell any? I'd totally buy that soap.
    i'm seriously considering selling, but i wouldn't start off very serious with it, maybe just as a seasonal thing. before taking that plunge i have to learn about preservatives and all this other legal stuff first that comes with selling handmade bath & body products (idk how complicated it is and generally that is the stuff that intimidates me). i'm learning one step at a time though. it's cool that people are interested in buying.

but yeah if people are interested now, i guess they just have to get in touch with me? idk. at some point i'll have too much for myself.

edit: i wish i could redo this answer, but i'm not a good salesperson. what i'm trying to say is i'll keep you/this thread posted if/once i get the selling business off the ground.

at this stage i enjoy experimenting and i think that's where the fun of it lies for me. and, like... i just wanna make something my mom likes.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 03-16-2015 at 01:43 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post

imo the buds as topping looks better and less "messy" when used sparingly, and the more stuff that's on top the harder it is to get a clean cut. if you cut from the top, some of the buds will get caught under the knife and slide down the sides if you're not careful.
    Doesn't the whole "topping" thing just disappear after first use? I'm not sure I see the point unless the soap is intended to be decorative (a foreign notion to me personally, but I think some people have been known to do such a thing).

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Doesn't the whole "topping" thing just disappear after first use? I'm not sure I see the point unless the soap is intended to be decorative (a foreign notion to me personally, but I think some people have been known to do such a thing).
    it's decorative, although you can also blend/crush up stuff and/or mix it in to act as an exfoliant. personally i think it's attractive and it can also suggest what went into the soap.

there's a bunch of stuff you can do to make soaps "pretty" that serves no other function. i'd like to try swirling with colors soon.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    there's a bunch of stuff you can do to make soaps "pretty" that serves no other function. i'd like to try swirling with colors soon.
    I think that soapmakers might have some things they can learn from hard candy confectioners. Most of the colour swirling I've seen in soap has been... meh. I'd be impressed with some candy cane striping or pattern making though.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I think that soapmakers might have some things they can learn from hard candy confectioners. Most of the colour swirling I've seen in soap has been... meh. I'd be impressed with some candy cane striping or pattern making though.
    hm, that's actually an idea... thank you. i kinda imagined that the process for making swirled candy is really different though and probably involves stretching out parts and twisting?

the closest thing in the food world that i know of that looks like soap swirling is latte art. is there anything else? i'd love to make a peppermint soap one day swirled with red/pink and white (without using artificial colorants, if possible). that would be so cute!

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    hm, that's actually an idea... thank you. i kinda imagined that the process for making swirled candy is really different though and probably involves stretching out parts and twisting?
    Yeah--that's the rub. Candy makers get to work with silly putty, but in soapmaking, you're working with mashed potatoes that slowly harden and become brittle.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    just tried the first soap i ever made: 80% olive oil & 20% coconut oil, scented with peppermint and with ground oatmeal blended in. super basic.

the oatmeal hardened and it creates a really, really hard scrub! i don't think i'm using that again unless i mean to make a hard scrub. it actually kinda hurts my hands, working it up. i tested the pH and compared it to other soaps in my house so it's not like burning or anything (lol). using it gently is fine. it's just that the oatmeal is like, shards.

i might try it on the bottoms of my feet.

i need to get a good kitchen scale soon. i just realized since i'm making such small batches a tiny inaccuracy in measuring could really throw the whole thing off.

Type
    INTj
    i need to get a good kitchen scale soon.
    Girl you crazy, putting NaOH in skin products without a proper scale. I do approve though, your soaps look amazing!

So, would you consider selling your soaps online? I'm sure could make a killing.