Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Soapmaking

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Girl you crazy, putting NaOH in skin products without a proper scale. I do approve though, your soaps look amazing!

So, would you consider selling your soaps online? I'm sure could make a killing.
    thanks!

it's not that the scale i'm using doesn't work, it's just that it's old and rickety and i have to be extra careful to not nudge it as i'm measuring stuff. it's also risky eyeballing between the ticks, since measurements should be as exact as possible...

i'd consider selling online once i have more experience with both soapmaking and selling online. i like the idea a lot, even the idea of selling at local craft fairs, farmer's markets, etc. but for now i'd rather not think too big. i'm enjoying the process and would rather focus on perfecting my "recipes."

this past weekend i spent my free day at the park & didn't make anything, but this week i'm prepping for a green tea soap which i'm probably trying this weekend. this one's really experimental & i'm hoping i don't burn anything. i think i'm using (frozen) green tea as my water for the lye-liquid mixture, which i haven't done before. thinking about preparing a tea/oil infusion too, but idk whether i should do that with matcha powder, loose leaf or bagged tea.

it's likely it'll be a complete fail, this batch, but i'm excited to try it out anyway. i've been thinking about this one for weeks. i love tea and tea scents.

i'm ordering a digital scale-- hope it comes soon.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'd think matcha powder added at or around trace would work well as a colourant and as a general additive. The flakes are small and would probably serve as a mild exfoliant, and matcha does have some ability lather--it works great in my imagination anyway.

My main concern with using actual tea is the risk of stains. Though, there's something to be said about a soap that stains your washcloth or towel--but given the wide variety of pigments and dyes soapmakers get away with, it's probably less a concern than I think it is.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I'd think matcha powder added at or around trace would work well as a colourant and as a general additive. The flakes are small and would probably serve as a mild exfoliant, and matcha does have some ability lather--it works great in my imagination anyway.

My main concern with using actual tea is the risk of stains. Though, there's something to be said about a soap that stains your washcloth or towel--but given the wide variety of pigments and dyes soapmakers get away with, it's probably less a concern than I think it is.
    i think it'd be nice as a colorant too unless it drastically changes color during curing, which is a concern, cuz i care about that (i may have read about this happening somewhere, but i don't remember where). i wonder if i could even mix in crushed dried tea leaves for visual appeal (& exfoliating) but i'm concerned about it looking nasty once the colors set. also, idk if using tea in powder and loose leaf form is the most cost-effective so i'm thinking of the best ways to incorporate (cheap) bagged green tea.

i wouldn't use enough tea to have it stain anything, i think. i'm probably using another clay as well for a slightly stronger color. i'd like to stick with all natural colorants.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    This is pretty badass. I probably wouldn't buy one with the topping stuff though. I've yet to manage to get my girlfriend to clean her hair out of the shower drain and I'd rather not deal with leaves and flower petals commingling with the scary hairbeast.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx

Spoiler: more flattering but less accurate color

(Unscented) Green Tea Bar with Shea Butter

40% matcha-infused olive oil
    20% coconut oil
    20% almond oil
    15% shea butter (refined)
    5% castor oil
    + green tea as liquid in the lye-liquid mix (i measured the liquid amount, made tea and froze it into cubes)
    + dash of matcha powder added at trace
    + green tea sprinkled on top (i cut up a teabag)

superfatted 5%

NOTES
    i'm really tired rn so this'll be short and might not make sense.

we (bf & i) forgot to add the fragrance at trace, hah. we meant for this to be scented with green tea FO and ginger EO.

this color was achieved with green tea as the lye water and a matcha oil infusion. i like that it doesn't really need anything else for color. when we put the lye mix in with the oils, though, the whole thing turned a really dark red-brown and it freaked me out so i decided to add more matcha cuz i didn't want it looking red. it looked way poopy when we first poured it into the molds, before the color turned to a pale, earthy green.

we used individual rectangular molds for this, but i'm not sure i like the uniform-yet-not-uniform look (?). i prefer the silicone loaf or even the shoebox.

this is dumb but the topping saves this one from looking like boogers. oh yeah it really looks better if it's light.

...yeah i need to sleep.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 03-31-2015 at 08:05 PM.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx

Spoiler: just to show the power of photography, here's a pic with diff lighting, #nofilter etc.

Green Tea Bar with Shea Butter

(2nd attempt)

40% matcha-infused olive oil
    20% coconut oil
    20% almond oil
    15% shea butter (refined)
    5% castor oil
    + frozen green tea (i used bagged) instead of water
    + matcha powder added at trace
    + matcha & crushed tea leaves on top
    + a tiny bit of grapefruit seed extract
    + green tea FO, ginger EO, a bit of eucalyptus & lemon EOs

superfatted 5%

NOTES
    i finally bought an electronic scale so measuring stuff was way easier this time.

the color turned out significantly darker than last time. i think i may have added more matcha straight into the thing, though. i also wasn't able to make any soap for the past two weeks or something so the matcha was actually infusing in the oil for that long, which could've added to the color. irl it's like brown with barely a touch of green.

not really much to talk about. i like how it smells-- reminds me of grass and earth but sweet which is p spot on.

powder on top is too chunky. it's hard to control it once your hand's hovering. later i'll remove more with a brush.

i'm thinking about how i could store/present/protect these in boxes. i'll probably have to make my own since the bars are this weird special shape and the shea butter ones esp look cool/nice and i don't wanna chip or dent them (before giving away or selling). if/when i make bigger batches, i might have to buy some real non-scrappy soaping equipment, ugh.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 04-21-2015 at 01:16 AM.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Out of curiosity, why green tea? I'd never heard of it being used for anything other than tea until now.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    Out of curiosity, why green tea? I'd never heard of it being used for anything other than tea until now.
    there's a lot of stuff said about using green tea on skin so i honestly don’t know what's truth and what's not (if you google you'll find a lot about its supposed skin benefits). it's said to be antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. i've read somewhere that it's good for sun-damaged skin, that it helps prevent skin cancer, and that it has "anti-aging" properties (this may be a marketing thing). i come across it fairly often as an ingredient in western and asian skincare so there's definitely that interest and demand for green tea in skin products. personally, it's one of my favorite soap scents; soap perfumed with "green tea" is pretty alright.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Never realized it had so much potential. I still prefer black tea though. Maybe it doesn't cure cancer, but at least I can wake up with it.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Would you ever consider your own version of this? http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/5a65/