Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Música En Español Recommendations and others! \o/

Type
    INTP

Música En Español Recommendations and others! \o/

I have been looking for different music from the world! I want to hear your recommendations and why, specially songs/artists that really speak to you, don't take it personally if I don't like it :P.

Please begin.

As for me, here are some you should goddamn listen to:
    * Ricardo Arjona - Basically a poet about love, his songs are pretty deep and I love them, also, he is Guatemalan, which just makes him more lovable <3.
    * Silvio Rodríguez - famous trova singer (Cuban) and poet, I grew up with him (you know what I mean Madrigal :P), he sings about what matters to him, but also, he sings because he has to.
    * E.S. Posthumus - Just epic music.

Type
    INTP
    Ha! I really love Silvio Rodriguez, but I think he's more of an acquired taste. I remember thinking his melodies mostly didn't make sense. But I guess I hung around a lot of places that played him and got used it. I like that he uses political words for his love songs, for example (Ojalá and Te doy una canción are two of my favorites).

Another singer-songwriter I like is Ismael Serrano. This was his first hit which made him popular among different generations (old 70s leftwingers and the newer generations).

Then I really like Calle 13 (left-wing reggaeton). Los Redondos, an Argentine rock band (with ties to the communist party), is another. I don't listen to a great variety of music in Spanish.

Ataque 77 is an Argentine punk band I like. A little juvenile but still enjoyable.

La Bersuit is a left wing band I don't know how to label musically, maoist leaning though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    You might kill me but.... I fucking love Vicente Fernández. The crowd goes wild when they play these here.

Type
    INTP

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    You might kill me but.... I fucking love Vicente Fernández. The crowd goes wild when they play these here.
    Oh....wow.
    Haha, this doesn't surprise me, I like this song of his:

And then there's his son:

I am not a fan of either of them as people, they're not exactly role models, and I don't like Vicente as much as his son's voice (and I won't kill you :P, there is something about charros singing...>>), I think the person who really started it all were Jorge Negrete:

Who was actually an opera singer.
    Also, of course, my personal favorite, Pedro Infante,
    I think his voice was the most melodious:

Thanks for the recommendations :], I could not forget Victor Jara:

Type
    INTP
    Oh and about Silvio, my dad was a communist, thus he explained to me a lot of the songs, and his poetry just made sense to me, I like abstract stuff.
    I grew up with him and Les Lutiers, just really leftist stuff.
    As well as The Beatles.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Aven View Post
    Oh and about Silvio, my dad was a communist, thus he explained to me a lot of the songs, and his poetry just made sense to me, I like abstract stuff.
    I grew up with him and Les Lutiers, just really leftist stuff.
    As well as The Beatles.
    My parents never explained their music, or anything political, and when I started listening to it myself they kept asking me to turn it down because it wasn't safe. Even if we weren't even in Argentina. I think it took a long time for people to start listening to that music loudly again after the return of democracy.

Here's one on Mexico by Serrano.

Type
    INTP
    I was going to post this awhile ago but didn't since it was over a decade old and didn't think it fit your criteria. Upon further review...

I believe Serralde is now a DJ for a Spanish language station out here. He was a few years back. I believe he was doing one of the drive-time slots, so pretty big. He had a song on the Crazy/Beautiful soundtrack, song was OK, in the C+ sense of the word. Movie was disappointing. I like a few of his songs but some kinda just sit there for me. I don't know how often he performs. I'd try to check him out. I stopped looking for dates though at least five years ago. I shared this song w/another member. It's maybe my favorite Spanish language song. May post this in another thread. Hope he's not the Mexican version of David Hasselhoff. This is Encadenado A Ti. Not sure of many of the lyrics beyond "Chained to You" but seems like an accurate representation of my heart broken in the past.

Last edited by Spartan26; 06-23-2015 at 06:23 AM. Reason: type-os clean up, what would you expect

Type
    INFP

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    A friend from way back (Mexican guy) was real into Silvio Rodriguez. I remember finding the melodies intriguing.

Now I'm chuckling because I was basically just surrounded by cheesy reggaeton all the time in Honduras. Not sure what I should be embarrassed about putting into my "hey, that's kind of catchy" guilty-pleasure list. (I seem to have failed to make acquaintances with anyone of a hipster/music snob disposition, so my frame of reference is things like the music that got played in bars on the occasions where I went out, the stuff high school kids talked about, and the stuff young guys would drive around blasting out of their car windows.)

So LOL, but I confess to kind of letting my head bob a little when I hear this guy's stuff:

EDIT: Oh yeah, this was big. Copanecos like the party bangers.

Also cheesy, but I think this song kind of kicks ass:

It helps that I like the movie a lot, too. (Desperado)
    Last edited by Roger Mexico; 06-23-2015 at 06:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    XXXX
    I know I've probably posted these guys like 8 times before, but F it. I want everyone to hear them. They're friends of mine, or at least, the bearded drummer is. We were in a band together. The rest I hang out with periodically whenever I go back to Missouri. Great guys. I think @Madrigal and Enrique, the lead guitarist/ singer/ dreaded guy would make a good couple. I saw them perform a couple days ago, and he took a break in the set to give a speech about racial divides in America. There was a big crowd. I cheered loudly. Let me know Madrigal if you're interested and I'll put a word in (serious).

These guys are sort of a Tex-mex indie Mishmash. They've put out a lot of albums, all of them unique and good. Noone does music quite like them.

And Mars Volta. Why not?

"Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

Buy my book