Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meditation

Type
    INFP

Meditation

I am trying to learn to meditate. You should too. If you already can, please tell me how I should go about it.

I tried it for ten minutes or so this evening and I did get fleeing moments of what I think I could consider proper meditation. I kept accidentally smirking though. But after those 10 minutes I felt so much calmer. I think this could help me a lot. Has anyone benefited from it?

I'll post resources if I can find good ones. Most of the Google sources annoyed me too much (I just innovated this time - breathed deeply, focused on sounds and my body).
    Last edited by Blorg; 03-13-2015 at 12:30 AM. Reason: GRAMMAR

Type
    INTP
    If Susan Piver is still doing a free newsletter then you should sign up for that.

http://susanpiver.com/open-heart-project/

Her videos are good. They're fairly short. She does a bit of instruction and then a ten minute meditation. Very accessible for beginners.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    If Susan Piver is still doing a free newsletter then you should sign up for that.

http://susanpiver.com/open-heart-project/

Her videos are good. They're fairly short. She does a bit of instruction and then a ten minute meditation. Very accessible for beginners.
    This looks great! Thank you.

Type
    INTP
    I want someone to teach me how to stop meditating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    i wish someone had just told me that all it takes is putting aside some time (just enough to relax and forget things), bringing lunch to the middle of a beautiful place where you can hear wind and birds, and just eating and sitting there for a while. just letting your thoughts come and go, letting them flow.

This video is the buddhist equivalent of children's christian rock but breaks meditation down into the simple thing that it is. You absolutely do not have to envision Buddha, just observe your breath and mental chatter. It's really not any harder or more intimidating than going for a walk.

Type
    INTj
    Here's generally how I meditate:
    Get in a comfortable, but not too comfortable position. I would recommend sitting in a relaxing chair, or on a couch. If a thought is pressing you, think about it until you are content with your rumination(s). Once your thoughts calm, try to not think of anything while relaxing your body... I focus on my breathing, this leads to a really relaxed and almost transcendent state of mind for me. YMMV

Type
    INTP
    I've found 2 sorts of meditation to be useful...one is to focus on something...eg. to meditate on an issue that's happening with the intention to finesse a solution for it. In that sort of meditation, I tend to visualize the issue as a large piece of rock with many facets and textures and edges and shapes and forms...and I visualize it in a sort of zero-gravity state...rotating slowly and randomly on every axis...and I just observe it, and allow my mind to appreciate the various facets of the rock as though they were facets of the situation. I come out of the meditation in a state where the issue is recontextualized...where it is no longer a 'problem', it is only a 'situation'. Simply seeing the issue differently tends to bring about more effective approaches to it. This form of meditation is purposeful and practical.

Another version of it is to use a mantra...like the Gandhi 'Be the change' quote, or some other short, simple phrase or word...and I just repeat it in my mind without permitting thoughts to form around it...and if they do, I just return the mind back to the mantra as soon as I catch it. The phrases or ideas are generally very positive, and I come out of the meditation feeling embodied by the essence of the phrase or idea.

The other sort of meditation has more passive benefits...the classic focus-off meditation. When i do it now, I tend to be able to just flip the switch and dwell in a void where time does not pass and thoughts do not arise...but occasionally the switch isn't working great and I will use a visualization to bring about the state. If my mind is particularly busy, I will envision myself viewing a slow moving stream from a sandy riverbank...and upon that stream float random twigs, each representing a thought going on in my mind...and I progressively release attachment to the thoughts, and the stream becomes free of twigs. Alternately, sometimes I will get caught up on a particular thought, which will make it slow down on the stream, and other twigs will pile up against it, creating a dam...and in that case, once I realize it is happening, I burst the dam the same way George Clooney burst the clouds in the film 'The Men Who Stare at Goats', lol.

Another visualization that works very effectively is to see myself as a tiger, crouched in tall grass, waiting to pounce upon my next thought...something about it tends to quickly silence my mind...and once that silence sets in, the imagery dissolves, and the off-focused state takes over.

objective-means-purpose wise fool's Avatar
    Type
    iNxx
    follow your breath, make it ideal.

objective-means-purpose wise fool's Avatar
    Type
    iNxx
    one time i reached what I can only explain as cosmic consciousness.

I climbed vigorously to the top of a small mountain, and I sat a the very top of it as I shut my eyes and tried to get a hold of my breath. Eventually I did, and I followed it until I was very comfortable with it. Then my mind started to make these interconnections of how it was that I came to be where I was at that particular time and place. And it started like picture after picture kind of connections, but those connections began to be made faster and faster that eventually it came to be like a movie in my mind rather than a succession of pictures, and I totally sunk into that to such an extent of relaxivity that I forgot my eyes were closed and they just naturally opened, and I was like totally one with the universe, and had 360 vision, can't even explain what i'd experienced it was so whacked, but as soon as I questioned, "what is this" it all sorta faded away.