Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: What do you do if you're asked to organize things

  1. #1
    Always late to the show Sol4rplexus's Avatar
    Type
    ENTP
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    140

    What do you do if you're asked to organize things

    Like for example a plane trip, a holiday with the family, making a big investment (car, house), job applcations, creating schedules and sticking to them, or going through the long and painful procedure of trying to rent a new apartment?

    Being someone who likes to decide things in the moment they happen, I find myself having huge problems with these kind of things in advance, and I'd always let someone else do them before because they did it so much better, but now I'm on my own and it even drains me to handle shit like insurance problems and being forced to make phone calls because clerks dont respond to mails.
    On the other hand I am very proud that I successfully set up a terrarium and obtained a pet snake that didnt come from a pet store. But it was something I really wanted. What to do with things however that you really don't want to do and that you're certain of that anyone else could do them better? Finishing projects is difficult, but for me getting started is even harder.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    A Transient Configuration Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,958
    It doesn’t get easier. Fact is you just have to suck it up and do what needs to be done because there are so many things you can't have/do if you can't.

    If it's complicated, you can borrow some stuff from the S playlist. Print a blank calender and start scribbling plans on it and making lists. Your N can take over later after you've worked it all out and loaded the plans into the subconscious. You'll have the lists and calendar when your subconscious needs a cheat sheet.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

    This SEP field is glorious!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Sir Caveat's Avatar
    Type
    INTx
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    Fact is you just have to suck it up and do what needs to be done
    Yep

    Quote Originally Posted by Sol4rplexus View Post
    I'd always let someone else do them before because they did it so much better, but now I'm on my own and it even drains me to handle shit like insurance problems and being forced to make phone calls because clerks dont respond to mails.
    I kind of envy that you can delegate things. A weakness of mine is that I have that "if you want it done right, gotta do it yourself" attitude. That's inefficient. Efficiency come from increased specialization, having more time to devote to your specialty and more leisure time because others are providing services to you within their specialty. But until you can arrange again for others to do those disfavored tasks, you'll have to suck it up.

  4. #4
    Always late to the show Sol4rplexus's Avatar
    Type
    ENTP
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    It doesn’t get easier. Fact is you just have to suck it up and do what needs to be done because there are so many things you can't have/do if you can't.

    If it's complicated, you can borrow some stuff from the S playlist. Print a blank calender and start scribbling plans on it and making lists. Your N can take over later after you've worked it all out and loaded the plans into the subconscious. You'll have the lists and calendar when your subconscious needs a cheat sheet.
    I've tried keeping a calendar before and I ended up forgetting to look at it, so I started putting reminders on my alarm-clock-phone (which lies at home next to my bed) (It is my business phone), but I still tend to forget them when I get caught up in something fascinating and end up wasting time where I should hurry.
    Like last monday I had an appointment right after school but forgot about it because I got distracted on my way home and decided to chill for once.

  5. #5
    Always late to the show Sol4rplexus's Avatar
    Type
    ENTP
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I kind of envy that you can delegate things. A weakness of mine is that I have that "if you want it done right, gotta do it yourself" attitude. That's inefficient. Efficiency come from increased specialization, having more time to devote to your specialty and more leisure time because others are providing services to you within their specialty. But until you can arrange again for others to do those disfavored tasks, you'll have to suck it up.
    There is nothing to envy here, I just used to have a very SJ type family and they organized things all the time but now I live 800 km away because we don't get along anymore. So I envy those who still live with their parents because they are actually nice and generous so their kid doesnt need to worry about nothing but school. I miss that time, because I had so much more creative output back then. Now my creative output is little to nothing.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Sir Caveat's Avatar
    Type
    INTx
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol4rplexus View Post
    There is nothing to envy here, I just used to have a very SJ type family and they organized things all the time but now I live 800 km away because we don't get along anymore. So I envy those who still live with their parents because they are actually nice and generous so their kid doesnt need to worry about nothing but school. I miss that time, because I had so much more creative output back then. Now my creative output is little to nothing.
    It's good you appreciate how your family supported you. Now it's time for some growing. As an aside, I think the trend of children living with their families later into adulthood infantilizes those adult children.

  7. #7
    凸(ಠ_ರೃ )凸 stuck's Avatar
    Type
    xNxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,138
    Give yourself easy time to brainstorm everything you need to do. Make a nonlinear checklist if you can, a linear one if you have to. add to the list as things come up, and check off the list. Try to spread work evenly over a period of time and put some creativity into it.

  8. #8
    Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,137
    I generally dislike schedules, plans and structure of all kinds. I also dislike general human contact, people and sales interactions, phone calls, emails, you name it. But there comes a point in life where you've just got to teach yourself to hunker down and do it if you ever want to get anywhere: very un-INTP i know. I love that I can pass off holiday planning and shit to the significant other, because she laps that shit up. But, for instance, we're trying to buy a house now, and although she loves the researching and lining up of places to look at, apparently interacting with the slimy people involved is really draining her. So I just have to harden the fuck up and do my share.

    I'm the kind of person for whom time and memorisation is not my ally. I assume its a problem other intp's have. I lose hours regularly due to distractions and time dilation. I can't remember non-contextual facts, nor appointments. My school friend called me "5 minute memory".

    It's second nature to me now, it seems so fundamental professionally that I assume everyone else does it, but at the very least people like me need a calendar. Not because I like it, but because I NEED it. It might have cut it when we were back in our little autistic world of academia or school or shit where you've got a timetable or unchanging schedule, but if you want to achieve anything else in the real world, this is what smart phones were invented for. Not a paper calendar that you hang up on your wall. Not one that sits by your bed and you glance at each day. One that is with you from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to bed, has programmable notification periods so you can change it up depending on how much warning you need for each activity, and which assaults you with real-time loud annoying noises or vibrations or interruptions that say "BITCH, YOU GOT DO X NOW!". All items and appointments get entered in taking account of how much warning you need. my significant other still manages our social life (i'm still heavily intp after all), but i can't survive in an irregular yet regular world without some tool to do time for me.

    The other thing, and again you can use a smart phone for this, is non-linear lists for some of those bigger tasks: just take 5-10 minutes to write down all the little parts that need to get done for the big task, then keep looping over them until all remaining tasks are blocked by something, until all tasks are finished, or until you give up due to lazyness. Then a bit later when you've still got stuff to do, write out a new list and do it all again. Even as things build up and you abandon lists and start again, I've found I still get more shit done this way. Don't get emotional about how much of a failure you are, or get attached to the lists, just get to the point where you can draw up a list and at least loop through it once before you abandon it, and you're doing better than before.

    I don't like this, i don't enjoy it, but its either this or live life according to a boringly regular autistic schedule or become destitute, poor and slovenly. And both of those aren't ways i'd chose to live if i've got a choice...

  9. #9
    Always late to the show Sol4rplexus's Avatar
    Type
    ENTP
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    I generally dislike schedules, plans and structure of all kinds. I also dislike general human contact, people and sales interactions, phone calls, emails, you name it. But there comes a point in life where you've just got to teach yourself to hunker down and do it if you ever want to get anywhere: very un-INTP i know. I love that I can pass off holiday planning and shit to the significant other, because she laps that shit up. But, for instance, we're trying to buy a house now, and although she loves the researching and lining up of places to look at, apparently interacting with the slimy people involved is really draining her. So I just have to harden the fuck up and do my share.
    That's very nice of you to go beyond your borders. You seem like a great partner to your gf!

    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    I'm the kind of person for whom time and memorisation is not my ally. I assume its a problem other intp's have. I lose hours regularly due to distractions and time dilation. I can't remember non-contextual facts, nor appointments. My school friend called me "5 minute memory".
    Gawd this reminds me, I used to think I had a really great memory, until I realized that it's just what I believed and actually my mind was just connecting vague sensory impressions, creating false memories from those pieces. Wth.

    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    It's second nature to me now, it seems so fundamental professionally that I assume everyone else does it, but at the very least people like me need a calendar. Not because I like it, but because I NEED it. It might have cut it when we were back in our little autistic world of academia or school or shit where you've got a timetable or unchanging schedule, but if you want to achieve anything else in the real world, this is what smart phones were invented for. Not a paper calendar that you hang up on your wall. Not one that sits by your bed and you glance at each day. One that is with you from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to bed, has programmable notification periods so you can change it up depending on how much warning you need for each activity, and which assaults you with real-time loud annoying noises or vibrations or interruptions that say "BITCH, YOU GOT DO X NOW!". All items and appointments get entered in taking account of how much warning you need. my significant other still manages our social life (i'm still heavily intp after all), but i can't survive in an irregular yet regular world without some tool to do time for me.
    Good point, but my problem is that I don't take my work phone with me to school because I dont need it there and it's just additional weight I carry around with me. I usually have it ring in the morning to remind me of appointments but this one time I didnt. Bad mistake.

    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    The other thing, and again you can use a smart phone for this, is non-linear lists for some of those bigger tasks: just take 5-10 minutes to write down all the little parts that need to get done for the big task, then keep looping over them until all remaining tasks are blocked by something, until all tasks are finished, or until you give up due to lazyness. Then a bit later when you've still got stuff to do, write out a new list and do it all again. Even as things build up and you abandon lists and start again, I've found I still get more shit done this way. Don't get emotional about how much of a failure you are, or get attached to the lists, just get to the point where you can draw up a list and at least loop through it once before you abandon it, and you're doing better than before.
    I know. I may not get emotional about it, and it's probably why I keep abandoning lists for no reason. I just didn't have enough spare energy beside school to finish the tasks, so they lay waiting since months. Stuff like finishing my writings and creative projects is on that list. My current problem is that I need to choose if I want to get enough sleep, or get stuff done (school stuff always lies in priority here), but which ever I choose, the other one can't happen.

  10. #10
    凸(ಠ_ರೃ )凸 stuck's Avatar
    Type
    xNxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,138
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    harden the fuck up.
    squats!

Similar Threads

  1. Things that you think are fun
    By El D. in forum The Pub
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 10-31-2017, 11:28 AM
  2. Things you can't say aloud
    By gator in forum The Pub
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-12-2017, 03:46 PM
  3. Things an INTP would like to say but does not say
    By username in forum MBTI & Typology
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 05-03-2015, 12:32 AM
  4. Things to NOT say to a cop.
    By LordLatch in forum The Pub
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-03-2014, 08:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •