Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Ancient Myths about Volcanos are often true.

Banned
    Type
    INTP

Why Ancient Myths about Volcanos are often true.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150...myths-are-true

An interesting article. Apparently Classical and Polynesian myths have recorded accounts of volcanic eruptions that have provided clues for geologists. Do people think that this is an incorrect path for geologists to follow? Old stories are a form of information, after all. If the data can be verified by evidence, then is there still a problem with using them as guideposts?

Anyway, I'm fascinated by volcanos. Lava is liquefied rock, which is something that I find fascinating. Rocks are ultimately, at their origin, like concrete, poured out of a spout and hardening into something solid.

Just think, there's volatile heat going on under our feet all the time, and we're scarcely aware of it.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    ... Old stories are a form of information, after all. If the data can be verified by evidence, then is there still a problem with using them as guideposts?
    Not at all. Once you filter out the metaphysical meanings or misunderstandings about the workings of the universe from a primitive POV, and treat the human authors with the same sort of critical analysis we would subject any socially motivating communications from a modern mind, then historical events could well have a basis in truth worth exploring. Or reflect the zeitgeist and authors opinions even in the most abstract or fanciful text.

For example, the Book of Revelations in the Christian Bible is really speaking in symbolic terms about the Roman Occupation of Judea as the Jews were getting ready to erupt themselves. Circa 65 CE
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    For example, the Book of Revelations in the Christian Bible is really speaking in symbolic terms about the Roman Occupation of Judea as the Jews were getting ready to erupt themselves. Circa 65 CE
    If science is good for demolishing the claims of religion philosophically, history is usually best for demolishing the claims of an individual religion's texts and self-image.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I admit I tend to think that people are more likely to be partaking in the texas sharpshooter fallacy

Which is not to say that there aren't truths and perspectives hidden in all interpretations and stories, but which is truth and which is nonsense is usually characterised post-facto...

Of course, part of this also has to do with notions of what is "scientific" in our current culture, because "scientific" is such a loaded term its almost lost all meaning, such that for some reason people seem surprised when new theories or evidence emerges, or when competing theories work out relatively well. Perhaps its some emotional conflation of the word "scientific" with "correct" or "objective". Not to mention notions of history, anthropology and the like as being far more accurarate/deductionist than they really are...
    Last edited by ACow; 03-20-2015 at 09:17 PM.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    If science is good for demolishing the claims of religion philosophically, history is usually best for demolishing the claims of an individual religion's texts and self-image.
    History is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ACow
    Of course, part of this also has to do with notions of what is "scientific" in our current culture, because "scientific" is such a loaded term its almost lost all meaning, such that for some reason people seem surprised when new theories or evidence emerges, or when competing theories work out relatively well. Perhaps its some emotional conflation of the word "scientific" with "correct" or "objective".
    It's not that science is never wrong, but it's that it has a better job at admitting that it's wrong than some of the other approaches to knowledge that are out there.

Not to mention notions of history, anthropology and the like as being far more accurarate/deductionist than they really are...
    Wait, how do you know they are inaccurate? On what are you basing that idea that they are inaccurate? If, say, we were all living in contented peace and happiness circa 10,000 BC, and the scientic/historic approaches ignore this because they're too biased by our modern lenses, how do you know this?

Type
    INTP
    Wait, how do you know they are inaccurate? On what are you basing that idea that they are inaccurate? If, say, we were all living in contented peace and happiness circa 10,000 BC, and the scientic/historic approaches ignore this because they're too biased by our modern lenses, how do you know this?
    Purely serious question, not a retort: Have you had much experience with history in an academic context? Its almost defining feature is ambiguity, incomplete information, and competing accounts.

It doesn't mean that some guesses aren't better than others, but you can't run double blind trials or set up experiments, and you almost always have conflicting and contradictory information that you by definition have to make a value judgement on as to whether to accept/dismiss/weight it vs your other evidence...

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    Purely serious question, not a retort: Have you had much experience with history in an academic context? Its almost defining feature is ambiguity, incomplete information, and competing accounts.
    Believe it or not, yes. I have had some. I'm not just going to throw up my hands and conclude that "I don't know," though.

What point, specifically, do you have in mind?

Type
    INTP
    Believe it or not, yes. I have had some. I'm not just going to throw up my hands and conclude that "I don't know," though.

What point, specifically, do you have in mind?
    Errr, the one that I made in my opening post?

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    Errr, the one that I made in my opening post?
    Well, if nothing is true, then nothing is propaganda.

Type
    INTP
    Well, if nothing is true, then nothing is propaganda.
    And I said nothing is true....where?