Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little Digressions that don't deserve their own thread.

A Transient Configuration Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Little Digressions that don't deserve their own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    The system doesn't even rely on you choosing from a small set of favorites. It's sufficiently large that even if you rarely ever pick the same song to listen to first, I'd still expect you'd most likely find whatever song you wanted ready for play immediately. Or near to.
    I bet Google already knows what I want to play. Google now is getting damned scary...and so damned handy I don't even care. Facebook on the other hand thinks I'm a 20-something year old black woman (based on the makeup and hair care products they push on me) who wants to try for my associates degree in nursing.

I've lately started listening to my old vinyl again. Track that Google.

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    I bet Google already knows what I want to play. Google now is getting damned scary...and so damned handy I don't even care. Facebook on the other hand thinks I'm a 20-something year old black woman (based on the makeup and hair care products they push on me) who wants to try for my associates degree in nursing.
    Hmm. That actually makes sense. Google can work by snagging and tracking your IP. I mean, almost everything you look for, you'll check first with them, so that's good easy and very personal data. However, Facebook doesn't have quite that reach. Therefore, they probably start with geographic region and work from polling data in that region, maybe cross reference with people/groups you've friended, but geographic demographics would make sense as a starting point if you don't have Google's reach into the very brain of the consumer.

They literally know not only what you want, but what you want to know, and how often you want to know it.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Hmm. That actually makes sense. Google can work by snagging and tracking your IP. I mean, almost everything you look for, you'll check first with them, so that's good easy and very personal data. However, Facebook doesn't have quite that reach. Therefore, they probably start with geographic region and work from polling data in that region, maybe cross reference with people/groups you've friended, but geographic demographics would make sense as a starting point if you don't have Google's reach into the very brain of the consumer.

They literally know not only what you want, but what you want to know, and how often you want to know it.
    I only friend students on Facebook, and I never post anything. It's just a way for them to facilitate buying and selling used lab books from each other, since the bookstores don't buy back lab manuals.

Edit..and I have wandered far off topic. Bad moderator.
    Last edited by Sistamatic; 03-24-2015 at 05:59 AM.

Type
    INTP

Little Digressions that don't deserve their own thread.

Someone said something that made you think of something else, but you don't want to sidetrack the thread? Now there's a place for that.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    i thought the peanut gallery was for that.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    I think sideways too much; usually my digressions are actually related to the topic at hand, just not in a way that's immediately obvious.

I also suspect that, when some people rail against something being off topic, it's not the off-topicness itself that they object to, but rather the injection of ambiguity.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    i wish everyone would add me to their ignore list cuz i really, really don't wanna get sucked into this forum again.

...thanks, i appreciate it. i'd do the same for you, too. hugs. np.

/headache-post

Type
    INTP
    Facebook on the other hand thinks I'm a 20-something year old black woman (based on the makeup and hair care products they push on me) who wants to try for my associates degree in nursing.
    Pinterest seems to think I'm a Christian nursery school teacher.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    i thought the peanut gallery was for that.
    The fact that this wasn't obvious to me can be entered as evidence that this thread has a potential use.

Maybe I'm just defending my title as the Earl of N00binor. Has anyone every won that 2 years in a row? Represent! Bringing that much needed Noob voice to the management.

Type
    intp
    Someone said something that made you think of something else, but you don't want to sidetrack the thread? Now there's a place for that.
    But what if that happens in THIS thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber