Thread: parkour

Type
    INTP

parkour

I am fascinated by it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVILaXvspcU

Unfortunately there are no training schools in my area.

Anyone got experience with parkour?
    I would love to know.

Please share.

Type
    INTj
    I've heard jumping off tall buildings is the best way to get good at it, you know, learning to fall and whatnot.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'm too fat for that.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTP
    It's something I'm fascinated with but know the energy i'd have to invest is far more beyond what I'm willing.

Love to watch the vids, though.
    + the Epic Fails.

Type
    INFP
    There are lots of training videos to be found on youtube and meetup.com is a good place to check for groups practicing in your area. I know some of the very basics and even that makes bombing around sidewalks much more entertaining on a day-to-day basis.

You could also check around for adult gymnastic courses if you want supervision while learning how to fall, ect.
    Oh fuck it, Its the 90's.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vison View Post
    There are lots of training videos to be found on youtube and meetup.com is a good place to check for groups practicing in your area. I know some of the very basics and even that makes bombing around sidewalks much more entertaining on a day-to-day basis.

You could also check around for adult gymnastic courses if you want supervision while learning how to fall, ect.
    cool.how did u learn the basics?

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    cool.how did u learn the basics?
    Youtube and practice. American Parkour has a great channel for explaining the basics. A spotter really helps when developing form, however setting up video to record your movements also works in a pinch.

The video you posted heavily features freerunning. Parkour is strictly about getting from one place to another in the most efficient way possible. It was originally developed to aid people in escaping large calamities like an earthquake or invasion where the congestion caused by a whole population attempting to escape costs lives. Freerunning is basically parkour with tricks, looks really cool and is likely a tonne of fun. I haven't gotten far enough for that, I mostly just jump on things.

No Tricks:
    Oh fuck it, Its the 90's.

Type
    Xxxx

"we have a lot of friends and neighbours around us and they keep their eyes on us"

Type
    INTP
    "hardcore parkour!!"

seems silly and dangerous to me. a kid died doing that around here, he attempted to jump from one building top to the next with his friends watching - slipped and fell 8 floors down

Type
    INfj
    I spent about a year training with this kind of stuff with some of my friends. Sadly our city is very spread-out and doesn't have a lot of complex environments to freerun in - there's too much space between buildings, for example - but we still had fun.

That was over 5 years ago now.

We didn't have any formal instruction or anything, we were just some friends who went to a public gymnasium when it was open and practiced things we could find videos about on youtube: Kip-ups, various wall-jumps, flips, wallrunning, safe falling, etc. Most of the techniques are pretty simple/easy overall, but doing them precisely and reliably takes a lot of practice, as does building up the strength to e.g. spring up to catch onto a 4m-high wall and climb on top of it, even with a running start.
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.