View Poll Results: Which Hogwarts house do you belong in?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gryfffindor

0 0%
  • Slytherin

4 33.33%
  • Hufflepuff

1 8.33%
  • Ravenclaw

7 58.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hogwarts: Where would the sorting hat place you?

Banned
    Type
    INTP

Hogwarts: Where would the sorting hat place you?

This is inspired by the mafia game.

I've seen quizzes about this posted here before, but I'm curious about how people would self-select. What would they choose?

I will share brief descriptions for those who have somehow escaped all knowledge of the Harry Potter universe:

First year students studying magic at Hogwarts, a school for wizards, are sorted (by an enchanted hat) into one of four "houses." The houses relate to personal values, and they all have separate dormitories.

Gryffindor students value courage, chivalry and determination. They're the Paladins, essentially. The house colors are red and gold, and the heraldic animal is a lion. The classical element is fire. The Harry Potter series is primarily told from the perspective of Gryffindor students.

Slytherin students value cunning, resourcefulness, and ambition. I would argue that it's a mistake to characterize them as evil just because some of them have gone bad. It would be more accurate to say that they are focused on the self. The house colors are silver and green; the heraldic animal is a snake. The classical element is water.

Hufflepuff students value hard work, patience, loyalty, and fair play. The house colors are yellow and black; the heraldic animal is a badger. The classical element is earth.

Ravenclaw students value intelligence, wit, wisdom, learning and acceptance. The house colors are blue and bronze; the heraldic animal is an eagle. The classical element is air.

A sorting hat doesn't actually exist, and an internet quiz is silly, so where would you put yourself?

Type
    INFP
    The Hogwarts schools aligned perfectly with the different colleges in my university.

Idk, Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. I was in Ravenclaw at my university. (The sorting hat would linger on my head for a while and solidify my identity crisis.)
    Last edited by Blorg; 04-02-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    The Hogwarts schools aligned perfectly with the different colleges in my university.

Idk, Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. I was in Ravenclaw at my university. (The sorting hat would linger on my head for a while and solidify my identity crisis.)
    If you don't mind my asking, which disciplines correlated to which houses? You don't have to state the names of the schools or any personally sensitive information; I'm just curious about how it broke down by various academic disciplines.

I think if I wasn't Ravenclaw, I'd probably be Hufflepuff. Maybe it's that corn-fed Midwestern influence.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Not knowledgeable about HP
    But Hufflepuff sound like Wolves, so.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    ravenclaw, then gryffindor

that's also what the internet sorting tests say

btw i don't get the slytherin - water association. they're more like metal.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, which disciplines correlated to which houses?
    Gryffindor: the school of international service (spying, diplomacy, etc)
    Slytherin: the business school
    Ravenclaw: the college of arts and sciences (philosophy, literature, psychology, sociology)
    Hufflepuff: the school of public affairs (politics)

I think if I wasn't Ravenclaw, I'd probably be Hufflepuff. Maybe it's that corn-fed Midwestern influence.

Type
    eNTP
    Definitely Ravenclaw. I would hang out with the people from Hufflepuff and Slytherin though. And we'd all bag on Gryffindor.

Gryffindor: Jocks. Most likely to use the words 'bro', or 'brah' unironically.

Slytherin: Stoners and future Business Majors. I know how it looks, but that's how it is. Also home to people counting on Legacy for their future, and most of the people who think in terms of their career trajectory.

Hufflepuff: Band Geeks, Drama Geeks, and people who live and die by lists and well organized Trapper Keepers. Future drones and backbone workers. A fair number of RPG gamers--like the grindy part of grindy video games. Play games from From software for the repetitive grind.

Ravenclaw: General nerds and kids who were passively inducted into 'Gifted' programs in elementary school. Otakus, people who seriously debated whether they should join the chess club or the Go club, people who joined both because they couldn't get enough interest in a Shogi club or a Backgammon club, RPG gamers. Claim to like RPG's for the story, but often found obsessing more over what they want at their next level up. Have dozens of detailed trajectory plans for their characters, but only vague whims about where their own life should go.

@Dot: I agree with your assessment too.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    gryffindor-- "justice" oriented, values doing the right thing and courage

hufflepuff-- values social harmony, not drawn to conflict, the most easygoing and "hippie"-like

slytherin-- goal-oriented, very ambitious, values success at any cost

ravenclaw-- pursues knowledge above most other things, most likely to be serious academics

these were my general impressions from internet tests. i'm not super familiar with all the characters and how they are in the actual hogwarts world though.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post

Slytherin: Stoners and future Business Majors. I know how it looks, but that's how it is. Also home to people counting on Legacy for their future, and most of the people who think in terms of their career trajectory.

@Dot: I agree with your assessment too.
    No way. Slytherin has all the cokeheads and tweakers. The stoners are in hufflepuff. The common room is right next to the kitchen and it's the coziest.
    Then why did he put the Devil in me?

Type
    ENTP
    Not sure how well any of these map to MBTI, but it sounds like Gryffindor are SJ's, Hufflepuff are NF's, Slytherin are something like xNxJ, and Ravenclaw are IxxP. There's overlap and gap in that of course.

I went with Slytherin, because Ravenclaw sounded boring.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.