Thread: Christmas is right around the corner! Get your shopping done now!

Type
    INtP

Christmas is right around the corner! Get your shopping done now!

Not to be confused with hyperchromism, hyperchronism is as I have read it, is experiencing time faster that you think it should.

Soon summer will be upon us and as soon as Halloween hits, you might as well count the year over because in a blur it'll be 2016.

I was reading a book published in the 70's today and it made a prediction about cloning being widespread by 2005. To me it's shocking to think 2005 was a decade ago and not in the future at all!

Maybe it's just me..

How do you experience time?
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    iNtP
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post
    How do you experience time?
    obviously the consumerism movement wants, and needs us to spend our money and seems to tantalise us with each holiday or gift giving occasion as early as possible.

I was reading a book published in the 70's today and it made a prediction about cloning being widespread by 2005. To me it's shocking to think 2005 was a decade ago and not in the future at all!
    i have read that around that time cloned animals where being distributed for meat stock, so just like gmo's, I think to some extant we are already consuming cloned meat and thus it is a part of our lives.
    Just look at the blue sky

Type
    INTJ
    Obviously, the older one gets, the faster it seems to fly by, since you have experienced a larger amount of spent "time capital" with which to compare shorter units of time.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    My experience of time is illusory. As Sappho notes, there is the comparison dynamic. A dollar is a lot if you've never had money, but after you've spent a few hundred, they're substantially less so. Same for days.

But--and it's a big but--there's another factor at work. Our brains lie to us about how much time is passing. They lie to us all the time. The proof, to me, is the periods where time slows down. When I engage in extreme focus, time can slow down to the point that sounds are distorted.

It is known that our brains don't actually consciously acknowledge all the time that has passed--and with good reason. Most of the time, it's not necessary, and rendering the world around us takes up resources. The older we get, the more we seem to live on fast-forward, through the combination of our brains getting more adept at not rendering everything, and the comparison issue already discussed.

However, those time slowdown moments are interesting. There are two main interpretations that I perceive. Either I'm slowing time down, or, I'm slowing my perception so that it's closer to baseline or 'true' time.

I'm disinclined to think I can actually slow down time. But it seems reasonable to believe that I'm usually misperceiving the passage of time and perceive it as being faster than it really is. That gives me cushion so that when the shit hits the fan, my perception can shift and I can get "extra" reaction time.

Another way to look at it is: how frustrating would it be to be able to constantly perceive the latency between thought and action? Our brains are just helping us be more comfortable with our limitations in the general case, by lying about when things happen and how fast.
    You winsome, you loathsome.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INtP
    I think part of the perception of speeding time is the increased task switching. Often times someone will ask me something from my past, like a week or month or whatever and I answer the way I see it, "A zillion things have happened since then."

I strive to be as unaware of time as I can because it's a fabricated superfluous stress the way I see it. Occasionally, I look up during a weekend and bask in the fact I have no idea what time it is. And I nearly never use an alarm to wake up.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.