Thread: Auditory imagination but lack vivid visual imagination

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Auditory imagination but lack vivid visual imagination

When I am imagining something the best I can do is to kind of imagine a very vague shadow or outline. I can't really "see" it. Apparently many other people can visualize things vividly - even in full color. On the other hand it is good because I've been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and this may be why I've never really hallucinated. I also am unable to have visual sexual fantasies which can apparently be a problem. I can imagine sound/music quite vividly though.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    God. I don't understand all those people who say they want to meditate so they can enter the "alpha state", or whatever it's called. I fucking live there. I need to get out of it once in a while.

I visualize all the time. Everything around me disappears, I even stop hearing people. They'll call my name right next to me and I won't hear them. They might walk right by me and think I saw them but I don't see them even if my eyes are on them. My primary school teachers thought I had a hearing problem and had me tested, but my hearing is perfect, even according to recent tests.

This has led to many misunderstandings, and of course, people getting offended. Come to think of it, it's probably dangerous and it's a wonder I haven't been run over my a bus yet.

Formerly PiccoloNamek Lunar Delta's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    God. I don't understand all those people who say they want to meditate so they can enter the "alpha state", or whatever it's called. I fucking live there. I need to get out of it once in a while.

I visualize all the time. Everything around me disappears, I even stop hearing people. They'll call my name right next to me and I won't hear them. They might walk right by me and think I saw them but I don't see them even if my eyes are on them. My primary school teachers thought I had a hearing problem and had me tested, but my hearing is perfect, even according to recent tests.

This has led to many misunderstandings, and of course, people getting offended. Come to think of it, it's probably dangerous and it's a wonder I haven't been run over my a bus yet.
    God damn, you just described me to a T. I can't believe I haven't been in a serious car accident yet.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
    God damn, you just described me to a T. I can't believe I haven't been in a serious car accident yet.
    It's not a problem until people start telling you to become a shaman. I try to explain that it's not that interesting and I'm just kind of stupid, but they think I'm bullshitting them.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnClay View Post
    When I am imagining something the best I can do is to kind of imagine a very vague shadow or outline. I can't really "see" it. Apparently many other people can visualize things vividly - even in full color. On the other hand it is good because I've been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and this may be why I've never really hallucinated. I also am unable to have visual sexual fantasies which can apparently be a problem. I can imagine sound/music quite vividly though.
    This is exactly how I feel. I never really talked about it because I saw no need to, but I absolutely can't visualize anything. According to some IQ tests, though, I have a really badass visual-spatial intelligence (or however it's called), so what's up with that? At the same time, when I'm able to concentrate, I can imagine up to three melodic lines at the same, although it's usually by memory, rarely improvisation. I have some difficulty imagining timbres, though, but recalling auditory memories? Absolutely no problem. Why is it that I can't visualize a goddamn map? Or anything? I can have a good intuitive idea of how something looks like, as in its spatial properties or something, and I'm pretty good at drawing. But visualizing stuff? It's always super vague forms, like ghosts. Unless it's an image I've seen a lot, or I'm about to fall asleep.

What's up with that?

EDIT: Seriously, this is weird. I just realised that when I'm reading a book, I can't visualize any details. You know those long passages when they're describing a particular room or house or something? I can't do it. I skip them. I can have the general idea, and I don't really have any problem understand what the characters look like and all, though.

What the fuck. I'm trying to visualize the faces of people I know and I'm having difficulty doing it. What's wrong with me?

And yeah, I can't have sexual fantasies either. I can imagine smell, touch, sounds (especially sounds) and general feelings and ambiance, but images? Nope.

EDIT2: It seems that the problem is that I can only visualize one thing at a time. Is that normal?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyBard View Post
    ....According to some IQ tests, though, I have a really badass visual-spatial intelligence (or however it's called)....
    My visual-spatial intelligence is high.... what I do is pretend that the surfaces are moving around even though I don't see them move.

....But visualizing stuff? It's always super vague forms, like ghosts.
    Me too.

....I just realised that when I'm reading a book, I can't visualize any details.
    Yep.

EDIT2: It seems that the problem is that I can only visualize one thing at a time. Is that normal?
    Same though I wouldn't really call it "visualizing".

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Maybe having a vivid visual imagination would mean more "working memory" being used and so I can be more intelligent in other ways.

Type
    ENFP
    I'm pretty much incapable of imagining more than a shadow of something, but I'm capable of reproducing notes of any musical piece accurately enough in my head that I can eventually recreate it without sheet music if I cared enough to try (a feat that impressed my old music teacher). I don't have enough emotional connection with the arts to really pursue it though. However, I do have a strong memory for images. I simply can't visualize them. Much the same for smells. I can imagine touch and taste well enough, though it's not the same as experiencing the real thing (I guess that's true for sound also). So it's really only images. It really only bothers me when it inhibits practical things like doing math in my head. I lose my place quite a lot since I can't visualize it even though I'm technically capable of doing the problems. Quite frustrating since I actually like math (it's logical and consistent). It also made me give up on having the ability to draw when I was younger and still interested in art. I was pretty good at replicating things in front of me, but dismal at putting what was in my mind on paper.