Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Street harrassment and general stranger interaction

-
    Type
    xxxx

Street harrassment and general stranger interaction

Men of INTPx how often are you exposed to unwanted or wanted interaction on the street? Have strangers come up to you?

Women of INTPx, what are your experiences with street harrassment or otherwise? How do you react, etc. Do you get hostile with unwanted sexual harrassment or do u just brush it off

I usually never get unwanted sexual attention (due to the fact I am mildly gross looking and tend to dress like a boy) but I do have some stories of crazy ppl come up to me, like that guy who told me about his religion that harnessed sun energy and he practiced it on me by hovering his palm behind my head. Or the time a monk tried to sell me a book and we ended up having a debate over evolution (he didn't believe in it). Or the period i was depressed and asked hobos if i could talk to them over cigarettes. One time i was sitting next to a girl on the train and she tapped me on the shoulder and asked if she could vent about her boyfriend problems (I was happy to listen)

Charity muggers are the worst

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Haha, yes chuggers are about the only people who have done this to me as well as street salesmen and the homeless. Basically it is always an obvious ploy for money so I don't feel any obligation to pretend that I have even heard them.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    Haha, yes chuggers are about the only people who have done this to me as well as street salesmen and the homeless. Basically it is always an obvious ploy for money so I don't feel any obligation to pretend that I have even heard them.
    "Hey man, you want to go to the afterparty?"

I attract less harassment now than I did when I was young and cute and friendly. I wear headphones (plus/minus listening to something, depending on location and time of day) so that I can pretend not to hear people. I walk quickly, and I don't respond at all--they're already being hostile with their commentary, I'm almost inevitably alone when it happens (and therefore more vulnerable), and I don't want that to be bumped up a notch.

Type
    INFP
    Women of INTPx, what are your experiences with street harrassment or otherwise? How do you react, etc. Do you get hostile or do u just brush it off
    Responses (inward and outward) vary. I rarely say anything. I think I'm mostly blank, emotionally distant til later.

The first time I really became aware of it was when I heard someone catcall from across the street, and when I looked at him he shouted 'not you, look ahead!' (a woman was walking ahead of me). I'm ashamed to say it but my self esteem was devastated. The dregs of humanity did and still can alter my sense of worth however they choose.

A neighbor has harassed me several times when I stepped out through the side door of my apartment building. (by 'harass,' I mean things along the lines of examining me closely all over and saying 'nice') Last time I ran into him there he asked me what my name is and I (mindlessly) said 'I can't remember' and moved on quickly without making eye contact. And yes, I shouldn't hang out there apparently, but that somehow feels like I'm losing a battle; his expression was territorial. (edit: this makes it sound like I liked his attention. I really didn't. He made my hair stand on end. It's a stubbornness thing.)

Edit: a weird/almost funny story - I was wandering around the peripheries of a church at night and someone emerged from the shadows, kissed my hand, then apologized, and I continued with my walk.
    Last edited by Blorg; 04-07-2015 at 05:26 AM.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    Men of INTPx how often are you exposed to unwanted or wanted interaction on the street? Have strangers come up to you?
    When I lived in Georgia I was walking around maybe half a mile from my home and I ran into a guy who stopped me because I "had to pay the toll" for walking on "his street". We talked for a good 10 minutes in the street and then started fighting, both of us left covered in blood.

In Athens, a guy threw a cigarette at me while I was sitting on a bench and then threatened me to not get up.

When I lived in Lafayette Park in Los Angeles, I had an encounter with a fully tatted up MS-13 gang member. It was brief but kinda horrifying. I looked at him and that was enough for him to snap and start yelling threats at me. Maybe a week later 20-something members were busted on my street and I didn't see him again.

Countless encounters with vitriolic homeless people. My favorite had to be getting an offer from on old black man for a blow job at the Fruitvale Bart Station in Oakland, and then being called a "faggot" when I turned down the offer.

Actually, yeah, tons of instances of being harassed in LA and the Bay Area. So much that it's not even worth talking about. Less of this kind of stuff in other cities. There was the one time that a homeless guy in SLC tried to kick me in the stomach while riding by and then took off.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    i walk fast and don't make eye contact. the few times i've made eye contact though i've gotten positive responses (i probably just force myself to forget everything else). once a man yelled at me, said i was beautiful. another time a lady said "chink." erm yeah.

the weirdest times were when i got hit on by high school and probably even middle school kids. age-wise i wasn't too far off, but it was still weird. in college, i was about 19 when these probably 14 - 15 year old guys walked up to me at the bus stop, asked me what school i went to, wanted me to go with them somewhere. they seemed really fun, though. (this is so weird to talk about...)

making conversation with high school kids cuz you look the same age but you feel like you're in different worlds is just... weird.

now i drive.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 04-07-2015 at 05:17 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Related question: Anyone been "swiped"?
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    INXX
    When I was younger, I used to attempt to foster a look that seemed unapproachable. I must have been successful to the point I don't have to try anymore because people don't usually try to talk to me. Either that or I'm ugly or I stink. Could be either I guess or all of those.
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

Societal egress and ennui Catoptric's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    This kind of crap is one of the (only) reasons I still live in a house with one of my parents; as otherwise I couldn't afford to live elsewhere that wouldn't potentially encounter "uncertainties" of the "human condition". I would rather be homeless (if it were possible. . .) in some isolated remote location than have to endure societies' existence.