Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Oliver interviews Edward Snowden

Type
    INTP

John Oliver interviews Edward Snowden

If you don't think it's an amazing interview, you will at least be entertained.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INtP
    Yeah, the responses from the people in New York are pretty funny and it's great how he get's them to care by contextualizing the Patriot Act. I just wish there had been more substance to the interview. It kind of felt like The Colbert Report which I find grating.
    The idea that there is more is essential to our humanity.

incorrigible insouciant mellifluous's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I wonder if I'd be a happier person if I lived under a rock as large as the ones the people interviewed live under. The other week, taxes were raised on Cigs & Alc here, causing a big stink everywhere, but it took people until they purchased the next pack or bottle until they were clued in.

Type
    INTP
    It's hard not to live under a rock regarding at least some things...there's just too much BS going on to keep up on it all...and unfortunately it breeds apathy among some people, and indifference among most others.
    People seemed to at least know that Snowden and Wikileaks are related somehow to leaked documents...but it just ends there...like it wouldn't even matter to them if the information in the leaked documents were not classified at all...and fair enough...most people probably don't do anything worth knowing about anyway. I certainly don't...so it's not worth the hassle of refraining from google and facebook given their functions in my day to day communication regimen.

I believe that the government has a bunch of info on me that they will never look at or use in any way...and I wonder if this will all be resolved eventually by a protocol that is capable of targeting relevant information with greater precision.
    ...I mean, right now, it makes sense to cast a wide net and look for the important artifacts within it....you miss less that way...but just like with fishing, there are methods that can be applied that will interfere less with the species that you're not trying to catch.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    There was some interesting back & forth early on. I wished some questions would've been followed instead of him jumping to the next one. The contextualizing of what the govt can and cannot do in terms of seeing and storing of dick pix was really the argument that needed to be made a decade ago. Instead the potential ills of surveillance got lost in the "well, if you don't do anything wrong, you've got nothing to worry about" chants. I saw Citizenfour and while some things I already knew about, like taking an imprint of data that crosses outside of the US, even if it's SUPPOSED to be domestic to domestic correspondence, I still literally felt my stomach turn over what the CIA & NSA were doing. If I were Illuminati, I'd totally send money to the NRA to keep that argument going. Meanwhile, casually move tanks over to the next cyber border to take over.

At least in knowing what technology is in place you can kinda see what the next generation of things that they'll potentially try to do. That way, it'd be possible to get in front of it legally. Take away the gray area. If anyone chose to take that battle on.

Type
    intp
    I'm trying to decide if constantly seeing n00ds is a job perk or detriment. I guess if it's mostly dick picks that wouldn't be great.
    I wanna see your goodreads, so add me.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    I wonder if I'd be a happier person if I lived under a rock as large as the ones the people interviewed live under. The other week, taxes were raised on Cigs & Alc here, causing a big stink everywhere, but it took people until they purchased the next pack or bottle until they were clued in.
    It's not like I'm at all pro-apathy, but I think to understand it you have to factor in cost/benefit incentives. I mean, if you do decide to put the time into keeping up with things, what do you really get as a return on that investment?

Especially in light of this:

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    There was some interesting back & forth early on. I wished some questions would've been followed instead of him jumping to the next one. The contextualizing of what the govt can and cannot do in terms of seeing and storing of dick pix was really the argument that needed to be made a decade ago. Instead the potential ills of surveillance got lost in the "well, if you don't do anything wrong, you've got nothing to worry about" chants. I saw Citizenfour and while some things I already knew about, like taking an imprint of data that crosses outside of the US, even if it's SUPPOSED to be domestic to domestic correspondence, I still literally felt my stomach turn over what the CIA & NSA were doing. If I were Illuminati, I'd totally send money to the NRA to keep that argument going. Meanwhile, casually move tanks over to the next cyber border to take over.

At least in knowing what technology is in place you can kinda see what the next generation of things that they'll potentially try to do. That way, it'd be possible to get in front of it legally. Take away the gray area. If anyone chose to take that battle on.
    The country's political system is an insular oligarchy. They've done a pretty good job of keeping public debate so far behind the emergence of significant new developments and real choice-points that it can understandably seem like knowing what's going on doesn't really empower you to do anything about it.

We'll all keep arguing about gun control and gay marriage and a bunch of other stupid bullshit that is mostly inconsequential while the real decisions are made behind closed doors by people whose names we barely know. Then ten years from now we'll find out what was going on now and get to maybe argue and fume about it for a little while, and then repeat the process with the decisions that will actually be getting made at that point.

I'd like to see someone make an earnest effort to "get ahead of the issue", but there's a pretty effective system in place for ensuring that anyone with real means to make that happen doesn't have a lot of incentive to try.

Shit's... like all fucked up... man. You know? God Damn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

incorrigible insouciant mellifluous's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Well, I live outside the US, so I've been "free game" all along. None of what Snowden leaked surprised me at all; I thought it was rather obvious shit like that would be being carried out. If not by the government, by hackers or whatever. Your information is bought and sold and traded all over the place and the average person takes exactly 0 precautions against this stuff.

I was grateful John Oliver knocked Snowden down a peg to show him that the gravity and substance of what he exposed will continue to go over the heads of the idiots who don't suspect it in the first place., and that carelessness and fuck-ups actually hurt things. I 100% support what he did, but I still respect that some things are indeed confidential.

Type
    INtP
    The NSA was using up to a third of Google's traffic from a reliable source I read. Maybe wired? Anyway, Google was pissed because of how much money it was basically donating to the NSA. There were reports that most Gmail and Yahoo accounts were compromised, but who hears about it? The NSA was around before the Internet and it was there the whole time following and incorporating hacks along the way. They're basically a continuation of the spy work done during WWII. So people get surprised at what they're doing, but they've been at this game a very long time and they're quite good at it. People think of dick pics and the like but they're following buying habits, international trade, politicians, etc. The amount of information they collect is massive. I can't really even guess at how much information they have, but I highly doubt they're just sitting on it either. At any point, they are probably influencing market dynamics. We think that we're on top of the sociological ladder when we use big data but our best public scientists are most likely behind the curve or followed so closely by the NSA that they might as well be.
    The idea that there is more is essential to our humanity.

Type
    INTP
    I'm sure my grocery store, with their points/discount card, probably has as much relevant information about me as the government.