Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you identify with your own nationality? Ethnicity? Race?

-
    Type
    xxxx

Do you identify with your own nationality? Ethnicity? Race?

Nationality
    I've grown up australian my whole life and the fact that I've never considered myself australian (and that other people intuitively don't, either) until very recently makes me... sad. i'm even starting to like vegemite. kinda. straya

Ethnicity
    I'm taiwanese and I love taiwanese culture but at the same time feel alienated from it.

Race
    I'm azn

Do you identify with your own nationality / ethnicity / race?

Type
    INTP
    I'm in the States and I'm white so I'm the majority. Since I don't come from recently immigrated ancestors and am a mutt of European descent, I don't feel like I have an ethnic background to identify with.

But I also don't "feel" like I'm part of the States, even though I've lived here my whole life. But I don't really have pride in where I'm from, but as a woman, I am grateful I was born here.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    asian/chinese american. i don't have "issues" with this.

i'm supposed to be "half taiwanese" as my dad is a taiwanese citizen but i didn't grow up identifying that way cuz i only just visited taiwan for the first time as an adult in 2013 (whereas as a child i went on a lot of trips to the mainland & hong kong).

Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    Race
    I'm azn
    hahaha i haven't heard this since elementary (or middle?) school. azn pryde* was big here too

* i remember this as a grade school thing, around the time of aol instant messenger's peak popularity, which i personally didn't identify with. tHeRe WaS a LoT oF xTHISx
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 04-09-2015 at 12:27 AM.
    chatting on discord

Type
    Xxxx
    Lebanese in lebanon.

Ethnicity: used to be white. since 2001, i'm brownish.

I don't identify with anything. I consider myself arab cause that's my language, but i'm not too happy with that, my favourite part of arab history is jahiliyya.

The people i identify with the least are the community i am mostly a part of, lebanese christians. The worst kind of human beings you will ever meet.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Nationality, yeah, I'm an American.

Ethnicity, kinda? I'm Mexican but I'm only a halfblood, don't look or act the part so I'm not good enough for a lot of them so they can fuck right off. I just go with the stuff from my better half. I'm only Mexican when it suits the situation.

Race, I'm white, you don't turn down that kind of power.
    Then why did he put the Devil in me?

Type
    INFP
    I identify as American. I'm white.

I'm Britishish because I'm a dual citizen. I was born in England (Leicester General Hospital ftw!) and I lived there till I was four, then we bounced around between countries for several years before permanently settling in the US when I was six.

My father is a dual citizen of the UK and Poland (he never bothered to get American citizenship). My grandfather on his side was Polish/Tatar, Scottish grandmother.
    My mother is also British-American (her father immigrated to the US).

But I don't really know anything about cultures outside the US

Type
    INTP
    I am me. Plain and simple.

Type
    INTP
    I'm white and American so I don't think about myself much.

Think more about my daughter, as she is hapa. She doesn't really seem to notice race so far which is nice.

Type
    INTP
    I guess gender is the most basic identifier to me. I identify with many aspects of what's generally associated with masculinity... of course, there are some "masculine" traits i don't identify with also... but I would attempt convince people that those traits aren't actually masculine.

Even with gender though, I'm not very strongly tied to the category; It's just a quality I take on in certain context. The groupthink that comes with "identifying" as something doesn't really sit well with me. I'm not good at fitting in to a mold...But when it comes to sexual selection, I guess there's a good reason to make some kind of exception... That said, it's not an ideological grouping in the same way nationality or ethnicity is. Even race has some ideological component to it in a way that gender doesn't.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    "colorblindness" and other sorts of what is considered by everybody else reality-denying is a sort of ideology (of the privileged), though.

but this is a really tired debate.
    chatting on discord