Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your irrational fears?

-
    Type
    xxxx

What are your irrational fears?

Has to be irrational. None of this "I'm scared of heights and snakes" bullshit. Those are totally rational and real threats in the right circumstances lol

I'm scared of sitting in front of people on trains because I fear someone behind me will decapitate me. I always try to get the back seat.

Type
    INFP
    I'm paranoid about unwittingly shoplifting stuff. I can go to a store and not even pick up a piece of merchandise and still have that sense of panic as I'm leaving that some rent-a-cop is gonna stop me and find stolen merchandise on me. I swear I'm not a klepto. I have no clue where this comes from. The rush of not setting off those beepymajigs by the doors as I exit a store is incredible. Call me an adrenaline junkie.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    I'm scared of sitting in front of people on trains because I fear someone behind me will decapitate me. I always try to get the back seat.
    Not that irrational at all.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    I took a Greyhound from California to Colorado and back the week this happened. It was the talk of every bus! Picking out the person on the bus most likely to decapitate a fellow rider is a wonderful icebreaker!

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Waiting for the subway, or the bus along a busy street, I can't help but think how easy it would be for someone to push somebody else to their death in seconds.

While ice-skating: the thought of falling and someone skating over my fingers.

Or, lying in bed at night, wondering how likely or unlikely it is to wake up again in the morning.

Edit: Also worrying that the house will burn down when I can't remember whether I've switched off my hair straightener or not.

Moreover, I never understood how some people hang heavy shelves above their bed and still get a good night's sleep. What if the screws come loose?

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    i'm scared to confront the guy in my dreams who wants to kill me

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    Waiting for the subway, or the bus along a busy street, I can't help but think how easy it would be for someone to push somebody else to their death in seconds.
    I have to admit, i don't like walking closer than 1 body length width between myself and the train station platform, even that gives me the heebee jeebees. What if i passed out? In fact screw that, what if my own body rebels, maybe even temporarily. And then in my own retardation at trying to stop myself falling in front of the train, i actually find a way to accidentally trip and go flying onto the tracks. Frankly, i'm shocked at how few people die. Then again, they had to make the ad campaign here, so i guess it does ihappen...

Actually, looking for that, i was reminded of another thing. I have a bit of a feeling that the wiring in modern houses will result in this happening while i sleep:

Especially lights in the bathrooms. Cause you know, condensation and electrical stuff go together so well....

Type
    INTP
    This is tougher than I thought, I can rationalize all my fears... I guess that's why I still have them :P

I like to think of them more as things I'm apprehensive about rather than fears.

I'm kind of afraid to list them as to not jinx myself (there we go, there's an irrational fear for ya).

That someone has slipped something into my drink if I don't keep my eye on it... which is totally ridiculous since I've dispatched all of the enemy agents.

But seriously even around family I get that faint nagging feeling that if I've left the room and returned that I should dump my drink and get a new one.

Type
    INFP
    Mind controlling parasites. This whole thing can rabbit hole:

What if the reason I like milk is influenced by some parasite who needs some kind of cow udder contact to reproduce?
    What if this is why I'm gay?
    What if this is the thing that has allowed humans to become what they are? Their intelligence, and humans would still be lacking sentience if it weren't for their influence? What if somehow this parasite gets wiped out and humans degenerate back?
    Is this why I like to eat clay?
    At some point will I be uncontrollably influenced to commit suicide to continue it's life cycle?
    Will it burst out of me?
    Is that just normal body function or am I feeling something moving around inside me?

This has transferred onto any kind of intestinal worm.
    Oh fuck it, Its the 90's.