View Poll Results: How many spaces do you put after periods?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • I generally use one space and I am under 40

11 50.00%
  • I generally use one space and I am over 40

5 22.73%
  • I am pretty close to even

0 0%
  • I generally use two spaces and I am under 40

6 27.27%
  • I generally use two spaces and I am over 40

1 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One or Two Spaces

Type
    INTP

One or Two Spaces

Do you generally put one or two spaces after sentence-ending punctuation?

If you use one, was it taught to you that way in school or did you adapt?

If you use two, do you ever feel forced to use one or think you’ll change?

Does seeing the opposite of what you normally do look awkward to you?

Are there specific times, (maybe social vs business), you use one and others you use two?

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    i use one & that's how it was taught. i thought the two-spaces was a typewriter thing (never encountered that til i was at a point of regularly corresponding with older people not of my generation; it's generally rare).
    chatting on discord

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Better question: Do you use one or two spaces before punctuation? Those are the people we should be rounding up and sending to camps.

Type
    INFP
    Two. I learned to type in the military (2004ish). I think it's a little easier on the eyes. I don't type anything for work. The only time I use single space is twitter.
    Last edited by MoneyJungle; 04-10-2015 at 05:23 PM.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    I was taught two spaces in school. I've since gone to one space because with variable-width fonts you can't see the second space anyway.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INfj
    I saw this on a list of 'things you don't know your resume says about your age' a few years ago. I never knew two spaces was even a thing until then (I'm 27 now). I generally don't use it but I occasionally do when I'm trying to be really formal.
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

A Transient Configuration Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Two spaces was ubiquitous before the personal computing age. It's one space now in many places because it amounts to a significant volume of data. A space is a character which must be stored. Because I grew up in the typewriter age, two spaces is hardwired into my typing brain. I hit the spacebar twice at the end of a sentence autonomically...like breathing. If I must submit writing to a place that has one space in the style guide, I do a find and replace -- " " for " ".
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

This SEP field is glorious!

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    I was taught two spaces in school. I've since gone to one space because with variable-width fonts you can't see the second space anyway.
    this is partly what it is i think. monospace fonts (hence typewriter) are probably more readable when you do two spaces. with modern day computers though you have more choice and the typefaces considered most readable are variable-width & oldstyle, based on "handlettering of scribes"-- it's what's most common and considered standard for styling any sort of body copy.
    chatting on discord

Type
    INTP
    One space. Never heard of anyone using two until this thread. Weird.

I learned to type on a computer, programming (basically self-taught, through pure attrition*). Beyond that it was through posting messages on early dial-up bulletin board systems, and so I guess I just picked up what I saw there?

(*for this reason I find my typing behaviors show as quirks to those who underwent training, for instance "home row" means nothing to me, it was a surprise to learn about it, etc)

Type
    ENTP
    Two spaces, that's how I was taught. I'm surprised this is even a debate, I thought two was "proper" and one wasn't. I guess this is forcing me to challenge a paradigm I've held for a long time without realizing it.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.