Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fight-or-flight dreams (Split from Responses to Reputation Comments)

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx

Fight-or-flight dreams (Split from Responses to Reputation Comments)

Yes!!! I always consciously force myself to wake up when I am about get into a kidnapping scenario! Never tried to fight back, even when I knew it was a dream.
    it doesn't scare me enough to make me conscious that it's a dream all the time. usually i allow it to play out until the end, when i either escape or am killed. i can't say it's the same guy all the time (whatever it is, it takes different forms) but it's been a recurring dream theme for me since my mid-teens, the being chased or running away dream. last night i just had it again and i'll probably keep having it until i make myself look him in the face, but the thought of that still scares the fuck outta me. when it's happening the threat on my life feels so real, and he just keeps getting closer, no hiding spot is safe.

last night he was gonna force me to drink from a bottle of gasoline. i assumed that once he had his chance to torture me, he'd make me drink & set me on fire. he found me hiding and locked the doors but i ran/slid down the stairs and jumped up reaching for the impossibly high doorknob (it was like alice in wonderland shit) and actually got it and escaped.
    Last edited by Resonance; 04-10-2015 at 06:29 PM.

A Transient Configuration Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    it doesn't scare me enough to make me conscious that it's a dream all the time. usually i allow it to play out until the end, when i either escape or am killed. i can't say it's the same guy all the time (whatever it is, it takes different forms) but it's been a recurring dream theme for me since my mid-teens, the being chased or running away dream. last night i just had it again and i'll probably keep having it until i make myself look him in the face, but the thought of that still scares the fuck outta me. when it's happening the threat on my life feels so real, and he just keeps getting closer, no hiding spot is safe.

last night he was gonna force me to drink from a bottle of gasoline. i assumed that once he had his chance to torture me, he'd make me drink & set me on fire. he found me hiding and locked the doors but i ran/slid down the stairs and jumped up reaching for the impossibly high doorknob (it was like alice in wonderland shit) and actually got it and escaped.
    If someone attacks me in a dream, it always turns into a beatdown. As in me beating them down ... quite cathartic. It reflects the fact that in real life, my fight or flight slider bar is set to near 100 percent fight. It's probably going to get me killed one day, but in the meantime, I can enjoy the dreams.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

This SEP field is glorious!

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    If someone attacks me in a dream, it always turns into a beatdown. As in me beating them down ... quite cathartic. It reflects the fact that in real life, my fight or flight slider bar is set to near 100 percent fight. It's probably going to get me killed one day, but in the meantime, I can enjoy the dreams.
    the flight thing reveals a lot about my subconscious. irl i don't often encounter such threats and so i don't see myself as avoidant generally (i've been criticized as being conflict-seeking by those who to me seem avoidant to an unbearable extent). the common interpretation anyway is "avoidance," that i'm putting off or avoiding something that then takes an exaggerated, ridiculous form in my dreams-- but i can't say what that thing is for sure in my waking life.

my subconscious really is lovely. if it wasn't for that i never would've known what it's like to die after being shot 9 times in the face. maybe in a past life i was a cat.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    Heh. Same. When attacked in my dreams, if I wan't already lucid dreaming, I will be bumped into it. From there it becomes some Neo-in-the-Matrix type walloping, heh. It usually involves clobbering them, grabbing them and flying up, then throwing or dropping them into their demise.

Type
    INXX
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Good Subject unto itself.

Seldom do I dream of flight from human forms. Some animals are a different story, but even then it is the exception.

My most often re-occurring situations are:

A: The enemy takes super-human amounts of damage and still resist.
    B: I'm frustrated by my physical actions seeming sluggish and I (in the wakening world) perceive this as my partial awareness of sleep paralysis. Very often I'll keep trying to swing, kick, what have you, until I do start to move a bit and wake up. (Perhaps this order is reversed???)
    Last edited by OrionzRevenge; 04-10-2015 at 06:45 PM.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INfj
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    Good Subject unto itself.
    Agreed and split. Hope this is okay.

I have both fight and flight dreams. In general I guess I would say I will flee until cornered (sometimes using supernatural abilities local to that particular dream), but if I do get cornered I can be quite violent. Of course I never lose fights in dreams, so I have to keep my ideas in check about what would actually happen if I did get into a fight IRL (I'm pretty weak and uncoordinated and have a very low pain tolerance).
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Type
    xxxx
    i do have a strong fight impulse when i'm the designated "protector" of something in a dream (probably irl, too). i've dreamt once or twice (?) about stabbing a cat with a long stick & tossing the body over a wall cuz it was trying to prey on my chickens (then, they were chix, & irl as babies they were stalked by several cats who went away once they got big enough to roam without my supervision and fight for themselves). that's easy though cuz a cat can't really hurt me.

i'm sure i have "fight" dreams that i just don't remember. the "flight" dreams are intense enough to be called nightmares and that's probably why they're so memorable.

Type
    intp
    I can't recall ever dreaming about running from or fighting with another human being, though I'm sure I have and just forgot. I think I'm usually fighting with supernatural things in my dreams, and many times I'm not fighting or running... just sitting there thinking about what to do with the situation.

A recent dream I can still recall vividly was very scent oriented. It was nighttime and I got onto a public bus alone. The air on the bus smelled electrically acrid and stale in a way that seemed to creep into my lungs and permeate the extent of my body, adding a strange heavy resistance to my movement. My vision was blurry, or perhaps dreamlike and unclear. There were no other passengers on the bus, but I had to concentrate to determine the validity of that conclusion. The bus driver was there, but not clearly. Just a fuzzy shadow entity that struck me as ominous and threatening. The shadow driver rose from his seat and started floating towards me. He appeared dark, translucent, and his face lacked any clear detail. I just sat there. I didn't fight, I didn't run. I was caught up in the puzzle that was the driver and my surroundings. It felt as though the driver and the acrid smell were the same being, and I had a sense that fighting against it was the wrong choice, as if this entire episode was some kind of test in which no correct answers were obvious answers. He floated right through me, thickening the restraining smell even further, and then I awoke in my bed, unable to move and still breathing in the acrid scent. As someone with plenty of experience with sleep paralysis, I quickly became lucid of reality and began the arduous and frustrating process of getting limbs to work again.

So.. fight.. sure.. but sometimes there's the option of just sitting there frozen.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Type
    INTP
    The majority of my dreams involve me running from a monster/murderer or something. There are even certain points in the chase the always happen, like: if I'm indoors i will go upstairs, out the window and onto the roof (if possible) and jump off. If on the road I will try to hitchike (but often the people who stop are also out to get me) or hide in the ditch.

In a dream recently I was running from a serial torturer/murderer who had sewn his penis shut for some reason (he said to a prostitute: you should see it when I piss! Then laughed maniacally while making piss noises). Me and my girlfriend escaped the compound (it was a kind of cult thing) and hitchhiked with a gang of emo-stoners to a nearby town where we went to the house of somebody from this forum (lol). I don't remember who it was but they were lying dead in the bed like that bit in mulholland drive. My girlfriend posted on here that this dude was dead but I was like: "Noooooo! Now they'll know where we are!" and at that moment I heard to maniac whispering loudly in my head: "yesssss! Disssssssco!" which was for some reason ominous. IRL my GF's foot touched my shin at that moment and I proceeded to kick the hell out of her legs.

I couldn't get back to sleep and missed the whole eclipse.