Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dressing up -- Love it? Hate it? Is it like Halloween for you?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Dressing up -- Love it? Hate it? Is it like Halloween for you?

Do you enjoy dressing up, or is it a nightmare for you?

How often do you have to spend money on clothes you hate to impress people?

Does it feel like a humiliating defeat at the hands of the enemy when you have to go spend your money on stuff you wouldn't normally be caught dead in?

I just returned from the store where I got finishing touches for the wedding I must attend tomorrow. It's being thrown by people with a lot of money and clout and attended by almost all the people who have any say so in my husband's continued employment, so I can't afford to be myself. The only way to wrap my head around it is to pretend it is a Halloween party and create a character and costume for it. In this case, the character is my mother-in-law. I think I have done well in my costume, though the only appropriate shoes I could find in ski boat size were a bit higher of heel than I wanted. I'll be 6'2" in them which will make me even more self conscious. On the plus side, they aren't as horribly uncomfortable as the average dress shoe?
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    xxxx
    love the idea of it.

hate it.

i've felt most comfortably "dressed up" while at funerals.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Don't much care for it, try to avoid situations that call for it, and I'm not very good at it.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    I wore a dress for my wedding, that's the most dressed up I've been since prom. I also recently wore a dress to a friend's wedding. It was a LBT that is machine wash, and I've had it since college. Usually, the best I'll do is a sweater and a skirt. That's my uniform for any formal occasion, be it a wedding, funeral, holiday party, etc. I would have worn that to the friend's wedding, but I had worn it the day before to the rehearsal dinner. I don't like dressing up, though there are occasions where I've felt uncomfortable for being underdressed. I never dress up for the ballet but almost every one else does, and I feel a bit self-conscious when I'm there, though apparently not self-conscious enough to dress better next time.

I once worked at the central office for Suntrust in Atlanta... had to wear a suit and tie everyday. I hated it... but once I had garnered 5 days worth of "uniforms" it did have the benefit of reducing the amount of early morning decisions I had to make, which was nice. But I still hated it. Why do mens suits choke at the neck, and make you feel like you're going to rip your clothes when you need to reach above shoulder height? Who thought that was a good idea? I just don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I like it. I enjoy buying clothes, and having a personal style.

Im actually a little envious of the variety of different clothes for women vs men, but the male clothing is usually more comfortable and less impractical for doing stuff while wearing it. Shopping in a place like Saks, Nordstrom or Graham & Spencer is just fun.

I guess I usually dress such that I can go to formal events without being too far out of my normal wardrobe parameters. Unless it's an east coast finance meeting or something crazy.
    Last edited by Osito Polar; 04-11-2015 at 02:06 AM.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INFP
    I like to dress up, though not for mandatory occasions as they usually involve me wearing something I am uncomfortable in.

I need my clothes to be comfortable and there is a frustratingly long list of deal breakers.
    Oh fuck it, Its the 90's.

Type
    xxxx
    What do you mean by "dressing up"? Like dressing up fancy because it's prom night, or like dressing up in a fursuit every now and then because it's the only thing that'll make you feel alive?
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

art and flowers: https://www.instagram.com/cloudlilt/

Type
    INTP
    For most of my life, my position on fashion has been that it's a waste of time and I want no part of it. A general refusal to oblige any trends/ peer pressure.

More recently, I've gotten over it... that said, it's not something that's important to me, I'm just more amenable to the idea of dressing to impress/ fit the occasion.
    As far as dressing up for a party: It's ok. It's not all that much work to put on a tux instead of anything else. It's a minor annoyance at worst.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    What do you mean by "dressing up"? Like dressing up fancy because it's prom night, or like dressing up in a fursuit every now and then because it's the only thing that'll make you feel alive?
    I suppose I'd be interested in your take on both. Though prom night is 25 years off my radar, I was thinking more like attending weddings, funerals, fancy shindigs like cocktail parties and whatnot.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle