Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Head/Body Transplant

Type
    INTP

Head/Body Transplant

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Canavero.html

The thing that stands out to me the most about this is whether we should refer to this as a "head" transplant or a "full body" transplant. It is perhaps both a semantic and philosophical question.

Anyhow, that triviality aside, what do you make of this? Its potential, perils, etc?

If your body was failing and your only chance for life was to have your head transplanted onto a new body, would you do it? Under what circumstances yes or no?

Speaking for myself, I disbelieve in the viability of any such a procedure, so I'm not inclined to pursue it even as a "last resort". That is, I'd rather be dead than alive only in the sense of tapering toward death in some sort of perpetual agony and dysfunction.
    Last edited by Ptah; 04-17-2015 at 05:43 PM.

Type
    INXX
    I was going to post this the other day but didn't. That dude did it with dogs in the 50's.

Somebody said they thought @notdavidlynch wanted to be black. This could be his ticket. If we wait a while, there will be some law enacted by the government mandating the to taxpayers the burden of such a procedure for all who want one. That's something look forward to.

Maybe this is the end @Robcore implies is never gonna happen.
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

Type
    INTP
    Lmao. Can just imagine what people might say when a donated body ended up rejecting my head, lol.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INXX
    Heads up- make sure you're a head of every body when picking a good head on your shoulders.

How long before we stitch half a woman's body to a half dude's body and sew a pig's head on it?

There has to be market for that.
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Seems like a waste of resources for one dude and it's clearly a body transplant as we're just some software on a brain in a meatsuit.
    Then why did he put the Devil in me?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ent View Post
    Seems like a waste of resources for one dude and it's clearly a body transplant as we're just some software on a brain in a meatsuit.
    I agree it seems a bit wasteful of resources when seen as beneficial to just one guy. However, I imagine they would learn much from this attempt, successful or otherwise, paying dividends into the future? That's presuming this is even plausibly viable at all, however.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    I agree it seems a bit wasteful of resources when seen as beneficial to just one guy. However, I imagine they would learn much from this attempt, successful or otherwise, paying dividends into the future? That's presuming this is even plausibly viable at all, however.
    True from the point of advancing medical science it's not a terrible idea. I look forward to the day when I can buy my new superhero body at the mall and get my noggin spliced on whilst watching the Fast and the Furious 23.
    Then why did he put the Devil in me?

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Sounds like the test-subject/patient is making a decent bargain. If it succeeds, he has a new and (presumably) functional body. If it fails, he has basically committed assisted suicide. Win win? Of course, there's the possibility that it half-succeeds and he's left worse off than before.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    I would think that an INTPish lot would probably be first to embrace such a notion.

Last Year's critical hit about the life of Stephen Hawking: The Theory of Everything
    seems to clarify for me that, save for the senses and a means to communicate with the world, the body's only vital role is as a life-support system for the brain. And even in such a diminished physical capacity, one would probably fight desperately for said existence (as did Hawking).

I doubt we are too many years away from the ability to create a hybrid Bionic Life-Support 'box' to sit a head atop and tap the arterial plumbing to a system that pumps blood to & fro the brain & other headly parts and a system of ones own culture matrix of Liver/Bone Marrow/Renal/Lymphatic tissues.

Add to this a monotone generator that blast vibes every time you open your mouth so that you could speak and...

It's a Wonderful Life!

With the advancements in understanding the brain's signal activity, I'm sure we are also not too far away from having that Bionic Box moving about the place under brain command.

Our Initial efforts would of course improve over time and it's not too hard to imagine that maybe one day, after several upgrades, 500 year old memories and wisdom will address young slackers, from a robotic Tele-presence, while sitting on a park bench. (The Brain would be deemed to valuable to risk injury due to freak accidents and would be kept at a secure facility)

But Ancient brains would have several Tele-presence Robots, here on Earth or elsewhere, they exclusively controlled.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    I don't see how this would work, considering they'd have to connect the two spinal cords and we can't even do that within a person yet, much less between two people. They may be able to hook up all the blood vessels and whatnot, but how are they going to get his brain to run another body? Isn't this guy going to have to be on life support to keep his new heart and lungs going? There must be something I'm not understanding here. Are they grafting his head on another body without removing the host head first? I could kind of see that working. I mean, the blood would flow to the new head and whatnot, and the body would keep running off what's left of the donor's brain. In fact, you could graft a few heads on there, and then they wouldn't be lonely.

And it's obviously a full body transplant, not a head transplant.