Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worries about kids ...

Type
    INxP

Worries about kids ...

So assume you had a new born baby today and for whatever reason you found yourself becoming fond of them and found yourself hoping that they will do well in life.

What worries would you have for their future?

(... don't really care if you don't want kids or already have kids or whatever, the question is just about how you think it will be different growing up in the next twenty or thirty years and what might worry you about where Society and Friends are heading.)

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Die-off.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    The imminent collapse of Western society.

Type
    INTP
    I think my biggest worry would be they would turn out to be retarded or severely autistic. I would also worry about them turning into a psychopath, or being too easily influenced by others and thus getting led into bad situations. I would also worry about keeping them alive and avoiding major traumas on a day-to-day basis. I don't think I'd be the sort of parent who frets over getting little Johnny into the right preschool. Kids are what they are to a large extent, I don't think the little things are worth worrying about.

Missing the Mayflower to Mars and becoming a peasant under corporate neofuedalism who dies in the Sinopec-Walmart planetary civil war for global profit hegemony.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Imminent collapse of the world.

When people talk about marriage and home ownership and kids and their careers, I can't help but think that it's all for nothing because civilization is on the fast track to ruination, and the world in even 50 to 100 years will be very different - with an even greater percentage of people on the outside looking in at wealth and comfort while their own life is plagued by brutality, fear, disease, etc.

Beyond that it probably moves from dystopian to post-apocalyptic.

So, yeah, fuck everything we think.

Type
    INTP
    That despite trying my best to raise them lovingly and openly and honestly, we would grow apart, and by their adolescence be like strangers.

Type
    INFP
    Kids are resilient, its a major part what keeps the human species going.

Id be more worried about failing to show them methods for thriving rather then survival.
    Oh fuck it, Its the 90's.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    that they grow up to be good-for-nothings

Type
    xNxx
    That I'm two paychecks away from dropping them off in a cardboard box on skid row, let alone a sexy death by drought riot, ww3, or AI-gone-psychotic drone strike.