Thread: Adam Curtis

Type
    INxP

Adam Curtis

Bit of a fan of Adam Curtis documentaries ... in particular the way he cuts everything together from off-beat archive footage.

A lot of them are on Youtube so I thought I'd post some here, see what sticks.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I used to fucking love these.

But as I've got older the pat generalisations grate me a little. He raises good observations but sort of riffs at them without questioning himself, or pondering over the consequences of his own words, which is a little... slick for my liking. Still well worth seeing for radically different interpretations of late 20th century history.

This however is one of my all time favourite documentaries of his. Kind of interrogates some very interesting aspects of the origin of consumerism.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    Did you notice Kramer at 35:54 of the OP? I'd bet a dollar he must be 100% HeLa cells.

I've never heard of Adam Curtis but am happy to delve into these films. On the critic side, we have this:

I'll try to withhold judgement though because everything that's anything has critics these days.

Type
    INTP
    I thought this one was pretty spot on. Bonus: It's short.

Type
    INxP
    Heh, yeah I get the whole criticism side of his documentaries in that they're not really documentaries and yep, some of the choice of clips are a bit wtf. But I think once you get the idea that he is presenting a narrative and a personal (sometimes seemingly simplified) perspective rather than an academic argument, and that the stylistic aspects are not to be interpreted too literally, then for me it's not so much of an issue. It's a bit like the disclaimer at the start of this other related short clip: