Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about feelings.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner

Let's talk about feelings.

The concept of feelings I mean- not your feelings about current events or something.

How to do emotions occur? What is their purpose? Are they good or bad? Should they be controlled or suppressed? Do you have observations to unravel the mystery of emotions or are they not a mystery at all? What are your feelings about your.. er feelings.
    Last edited by LordLatch; 04-23-2015 at 06:02 AM.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Physical and mental feelings are the only interesting things about life. Intelligence isn't as special as people think. They're bad in general. They're a way to stay alive so we evolved them. Only control them if you're having stupid emotions or if they bother you.

Type
    INTP
    I've spent a huge part of my life thinking on feelings, the role they should play, and how they compare and contrast with the other non-feeling thoughts.

My big grand conclusions summed up in new-age-y observations:

Feelings are information, valuable information that should not be ignored, but not to be taken as much more than information or an experience.

It is your heart's job to tell you what you want and don't want, it is your head's job to tell you how to go about that. Do not let your head tell you what you should feel, and do not let your heart make decisions on actions.

Use your head to figure out how to please your heart when applicable, not to reason away it's feelings or tell it what to desire.

You cannot isolate which emotions you suppress: suppressing negative emotions also diminishes the positive. Suppressing emotions allows to think clearer to better make decisions, but suppressing the emotions also means you aren't working with all the relevant information, which hinders your decisions.

Fewer emotions makes you more productive, but also gives you less reason to be productive in the first place, and takes away the ability to enjoy the fruits of the productivity. (Which I guess is fine if you are accepting living your life to please others without satisfaction.)

On a more personal note: The one emotion that would make experiencing the highs and lows worthwhile (instead of pure robot mode) is love. Without that chance, I'd prefer to opt out of the whole emotion thing. So I've decided to keep my feelings as alive and vibrant as I can and use every resource available to me and my ability to figure out and achieve the love thing.
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    INTP
    Emotions are probably the most important thing ever...but, they're sort of like little newborn babies...in spite of their beauty and miraculousness, they're really sort of helpless. When we equip our emotions with a healthy and capable intellect to take care of them, they grow into the most spectacular stuff that we're capable of.

An intellect without emotions is a waste of consciousness. It'd be more efficient to be an actual robot.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I experience my emotions as physical sensations. They come from internal rather than external stimuli, but e.g. "sad" is a combination of a mild soreness or ache with a state of exhaustion, whereas "angry" is the same ache but coupled with an energetic tension in my muscles and quicker, stronger reflexes.

That's how I think of them, though--as sensory input. They signify my body's internal reaction to the processing of external sensory stimuli. Just as I wouldn't ignore the sensation of my hand being on a hot skillet handle too long, I wouldn't ignore feeling sad or angry about a situation because those feelings are my body telling me that being in that situation is deleterious to its wellbeing in some way.

Of course, just as you have a certain level of tolerance for pain--below which you can simply endure it while willfully pursuing some consciously decided upon course of action--you should have an analogous tolerance level for anger and sadness. However, I don't think you should regard them as mysterious, intangible abstractions which you can just decide not to acknowledge whenever they're inconvenient. They represent something having a tangible effect on you. Eventually you will 'feel' the effect one way or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    consciously decided upon course of action
    This phrase stands out to me as one that warrants further exploration as it concerns emotions.

Does the intellect have any stake in choosing a course of action? I'd wager that one's general course and/or alignment in life is determined by emotion moreso than by the intellect.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post
    How to do emotions occur?
    brain reaction stuff to things...

What is their purpose?
    to make people feel stuff...

Are they good or bad?
    Having emotions is good. The emotions themselves can be good or bad.

Should they be controlled or suppressed?
    In some situations, yes, if the emotion is inappropriate for that situation. I think I probably suppress mine too much though.

Do you have observations to unravel the mystery of emotions or are they not a mystery at all?
    They are a mystery. Sometimes I think I should feel something and I don't, and other times I feel something that seems to come from nowhere. They don't make much sense to me.

What are your feelings about your.. er feelings.
    Sometimes I like them. Sometimes I don't. I don't like when they make me feel weak or not in control. I also don't like other people seeing them.

Evolutionary legacy "thinking" with utility promoting social cohesion.

Type
    INTP
    I could quote all of @lethe's post because she said what I wanted to say (only better), but I'll snip it down to this:

Quote Originally Posted by lethe View Post
    On a more personal note: The one emotion that would make experiencing the highs and lows worthwhile (instead of pure robot mode) is love. Without that chance, I'd prefer to opt out of the whole emotion thing. So I've decided to keep my feelings as alive and vibrant as I can and use every resource available to me and my ability to figure out and achieve the love thing.
    Falling in love for the first time started me on the path away from being a stereotypical feeling-denying INTP.
    "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is reality. Your cries do not move me." -- Sistamatic

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    This phrase stands out to me as one that warrants further exploration as it concerns emotions.

Does the intellect have any stake in choosing a course of action? I'd wager that one's general course and/or alignment in life is determined by emotion moreso than by the intellect.
    I'm thinking more in the immediate, Gom Jabbar Test sense--the ability to consciously override one type of response to a stimulus, like a reflex or instinct, by exerting force of will to subjugate it to another, competing response like a logical cause/effect calculation.

In a longer-term, "general life alignment" sense, then yes, emotion obviously does play a role--but I suppose I would think of the relationship between intellect and emotion in a roughly Epicurean manner. Experience of your own emotions and the circumstances in which they occur should (ideally) allow your logical mind to deduce the circumstances which would produce the greatest amount of the most desirable emotional states and create a plan to maximize your odds of getting into such circumstances.

Thus your emotions (which, again, I would call physical sensations not fundamentally distinct from things like colors, sounds, smells, and so forth) serve as a raw empirical input for your intellect to interpret, but at least in a normative sense probably should also serve as a kind of guidepost for your intellect to orient itself with in terms of goals.

Subjugating the intellect to an emotion (making a decision based on how you feel when a decision based on what you know is objectively true would conflict with that) is obviously an irrational action.

I would argue that expecting your intellect by itself to tell you what you should be doing with your life in a more general sense (seeking an objective "ought" where you should be seeking a subjective "I would like") is also irrational in its own way.

Still, I think an optimum procedural relationship between one and the other looks like this:

External sensation --> deduction/induction of objective implications of sensation --> emotional response --> deduction/induction of objective implications of emotional response --> conclusion/decision
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.