Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What city should I move to?

Type
    INFP

What city should I move to?

I haven't given this much thought so I'm just looking for any/all suggestions. I'd like to move somewhere that's more interesting/energetic than DC. Tall buildings. Access to nature. Not too sprawling. Good transportation system. (Relatively) non-murdery is preferable. Affordable, whatever that means. Warm climate would be nice, but I could make exceptions. Anywhere in the US or UK

Research strategy suggestions would also be welcome
    Last edited by Blorg; 04-24-2015 at 03:44 PM.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    https://www.randomlists.com/random-us-cities

Set to 1. Go.

(I got Cincinnati Ohio)
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    https://www.randomlists.com/random-us-cities

Set to 1. Go.

(I got Cincinnati Ohio)
    Ha. I got Baton Rouge. I like the name.

------------
    Kind of interested in Austin, but that one doesn't meet the non-sprawling category

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    Ha. I got Baton Rouge. I like the name.
    @Sistamatic lives there, so I believe.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    How big of a city are you looking for? And how tall do the buildings have to be?

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    I haven't given this much thought so I'm just looking for any/all suggestions. I'd like to move somewhere that's more interesting/energetic than DC. Tall buildings. Access to nature. Not too sprawling. Good transportation system. (Relatively) non-murdery is preferable. Warm climate would be nice, but I could make exceptions. Anywhere in the US or UK

Research strategy suggestions would also be welcome
    The only city I can think of in the US that fits this bill is San Francisco, or anywhere within range of their rail transit (BART). The rest either have shit transportation and/or are sprawling (NY for example has good transportation but is sprawling; Chicago has shitty weather, Seattle has questionable transportation and isn't warm). In general, hardly any cities can be considered as having good transportation though, I mean LA even makes the top-10 list http://www.businessinsider.com/citie...systems-2014-1

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    How big of a city are you looking for? And how tall do the buildings have to be?
    Actually, neither of these categories matter. Sorry. I wrote that because I just want to avoid somewhere like Albuquerque - dead, poor, corrupt, and sprawling. But affordable is a category I should add to the op

(I do like the tall buildings in NYC but they're not mandatory)

Type
    INTP
    Tall buildings. Access to nature. Not too sprawling. Good transportation system. (Relatively) non-murdery
    There's a stretch of downtown Portland (Oregon) with buildings in roughly the architectural style of "skyscrapers" a la New York, although I assume they're not especially tall by comparison.

Everything else on your list describes characteristic priorities of the city's population and government which they've realized to a certain extent.

(The city has bound itself by ordinance to only develop within its current boundaries, suburbs are few and small, the bus/light rail system is extensive, extremely efficient, and remarkably user-friendly, it has the largest city park in the US--an urban forest preserve, more or less--and a National Forest area more or less immediately to the east of the metropolitan area, which is easy to get out of given the lack of suburban sprawl. It has the 5th lowest homicide rate out of every place on this Wikipedia list of US cities.)

The only catch is that unless you're in a medical profession or an academic field closely related to a medical field, I'm inclined to say that planning to start your own business is probably your best bet at finding a steady non-menial job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    For the US, I'd look at the state level first. From there it is just a matter of looking at metrics and seeing which ones are important to you. Once you dial into a few states, start looking for towns.

Type
    INTP
    Portland has all the things you listed. Great town, great people. Not great if you like sunshine or are prone to SAD. Also, may not be considered a warm climate, depending on what your frame of reference is. It does lack jobs though.

Maybe check out Chicago and Philadelphia. Atlanta has a public transportation system, but also much sprawl so there are areas of the city that will be difficult to access. It does have a warm climate. All three of those are questionably murdery, but I think every city has its murdery and non-murdery areas (although tbh I can't name any murdery area of Raleigh and I lived there for nine years).

Every other town I can think of lacks either affordability or public transportation.