Thread: Post Bar Stories.

Type
    XXXX

Post Bar Stories.

My friend asked me if I was all right.

“Sure,” I said, “I’m fine,” and offered to get the next drinks, to remove myself and to refill our glasses.

“I’ll have a Johnny Walker Red, on the rocks, and a beer,” I said to the bartender while looking at the bar—the craft beer labels, Bayern, and Kettlehouse, underneath laminate. The bartender walked away without my noticing.

“You should say thank you,” a voice next to me said.

I turned. The voice was from a man. He wore a hat with a trout print on it and a sporty, button-up shirt. Next to him were three guys that looked the same.

The first thing that ran through my mind was “Fuck off,” but in a untypically restrained manner, I asked him instead,

“Why did you just say that?”

The man wore glasses and blinked several times.

“Because I have twenty years drinking," he said, adding that saying thank you was "a good thing to do.”

About ten feet away, the bartender poured our glasses. He looked solemn and detached.

“You’re trying to improve the drinking community,” I said.

The man paused, blinked several more times, and responded “Yes.”

I stared at him.

The bartender brought our glasses. I left him a dollar bill and walked away.
    Last edited by Makers; 04-24-2015 at 10:03 PM.
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

Buy my book

Type
    intp
    twenty years drinking was also Emily Post's claim to authority on etiquette
    I wanna see your goodreads, so add me.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwitch View Post
    twenty years drinking was also Emily Prost's claim to authority on etiquette
    Ftfy and thanks for posting!

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    On a Girl's Night Out, we stopped into a dive that we had visited before. The end of the bar was empty, so I moved the drinks that someone had left there so that we could sit. (It did not occur to me until later that some of those beers were still mostly full and the group had been dancing.)

We ordered and chatted about if we should stay. The bartender was a riot, but that wasn't quite enough to keep us there.

Until my friend mentioned she was cold.

The bartender wasn't going to trust the heater he got for us was sufficient. He wanted our business.

Type
    INTP
    First, from another thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    Went to a bar tonight which was surprisingly packed for a Monday night. Turns out 3 different people had bdays. I stopped there w/a short, petite, ESFJ friend after having dinner out for her belated bday celebration. First we crashed one party area since it had open seats. Moved to another area, stared playing "tell me those people's stories" for a while. She admitted to lifting a storyline from TV. She said she likes watching people. She never asks me if I'm alright if I don't say anything or start to stare through people off into space. I try not to do that but I'll admit, she provides just enough running commentary to keep me engaged but still allows me the opportunity to visually take everything in. Watching her engage w/people was a pretty fascinating case study itself. Light touch before talking to someone, commenting on a feature, asking questions you'd normally think would be something people who already know each other may ask of another but they were sincere ice breakers to her. Well, she sincerely wanted to know. Not sure they were ice breakers since there's no such thing as ice in her world. I met easily 20 people. Maybe one will I see or talk to again.
    Actually meet up with said person I met at the bar. We went to this one bar that had a fairly decent sized stage. We got there a little after 8 PM. I didn't want to deal w/any traffic or meters. The two down sides of coming later were missing happy hour and then, unbeknownst to me when I suggested the place that I had wanted to try but never gone in, was that there was a comedy show that started not long after we got there so we couldn't really talk that much. I had a groupon and had already my first beer while waiting for her to show so I was already committed to the place. This place has a bar, high tables and booths. I was at a table well over 10 mins before the waiter stopped and took my order. I had taken a few sips when my date arrived. She asked if I wanted a shot, to which I said I'd think about, and then she ordered a Jameson, pickleback & Stella and we're off!

I said I wanted to get some food. I was going to order a burger unless she wanted to get some sliders or something to split. They had a good 8 different types of sliders and she picked the ones w/bacon. Hearts filled my eyes. We got some wings, too. I was very glad I took my pepcid before I left. Before the food arrived, she ordered another beer, even though she wasn't done w/her first. Wasn't sure if she just didn't like what she ordered. She showed me half a spliff she had on her and package of tobacco she had for rolling her own cigarettes that dropped flakes like needles off a Christmas tree. She asked if I smoked and I told her no.

We talked less and less listening to the comics. I found out that she was an atty in her former life. She started getting mad at our server for not checking in on us. She ordered another whiskey w/out asking if I was still good. She did say she wanted to go to this other bar she likes to hit all the time that's near her house. She said it was kinda wild. Wait, I can't remember the exact word she used. I told her that the show was ending and that we might as well stay there since it'd be quieter and easier to talk. She said she was already getting pretty buzzed and after her next round she's not going to feel like talking, anyway.

Now she was full on pissed at our waiter. She signaled him over, she starts to talk and he walks away. He brought the check, which incensed her even more cuz she wanted to order another shot. I had two beers and ordered two apps to share. She ordered the Sailors' platter essentially. At one point, this Charo-looking lady comes over asks us how we're doing. It was the owner. Not sure what preceded it but my date briefly stuck her hand down the owner's dress. She asked her had she ever done another woman. To which she replied she had not. There was a brief and somewhat uncomfortable exchange but on the friendly side. She asks her again if she's ever done a woman (not so politely) and the woman says no but likes how direct she was. I wasn't sure if she forgot she had asked that or was seeing what would come of it.

Date wanted to get a few last verbal shots in at the waiter. Not sure what she said but the mgr brought our receipts to sign, not the waiter. She then wanted to leave a 25% tip. Odd. I agree he wasn't good but no need to blow up at him bad. I didn't get was why the big tip?? Date tells me how happy she was that we were getting to hang out and that she likes my positive energy. She starts chumming it up with some guys at the other end of the table. Tells them that we're going to another bar and that they should join us. She mentioned there'll be male strippers there and dancing. They politely but resolutely, declined. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, you didn't mention male strippers!" I tried to tell her we'd prolly be better off staying where we were. She was somewhat determined.

I drove us to the next spot. We parked at some business across the street. She talked the owners in to letting us stay there for $10. I wasn't exactly pleased I didn't get a chance to search for a spot on the street first. We're in this fry place, which amazingly enough has some video games in it. We're about to play but date wants to go to the bathroom. This lady, who's prolly all of 24 but puts makeup on like teen night at the club, exits bathroom and she's just spilling out the top of her dress. Date says something the other takes offense to. Neither just want to let it go but finally do. Date takes my hand and pulls me toward the bar. It was packed. She ordered a whiskey and coke and I just had a plain coke. It's Sensor Central in there. We move around a bit. People don't really try to get out of the way or give a stiff shoulder when they pass. Freckin' A, am I back in high school??

We move over by the DJ booth and she gives him a fist pump. Date gives me her id and credit card to hold. She sets down her tobacco and medical marijuana pouch. One of the club workers picks it up. She gets pissed when it's gone. Starts accusing one of the patrons and I tell her I think the worker got it. She starts talking to him, then a big ol' bouncer comes over and they sort walk off. Five minutes go by, ten, about 15 mins and then some announcer pushes people aside to walk on the ledge of the dj booth and give away some prizes. I go off to the side, still no side of my companion.

That's because she was being slammed face down on the hood of a police car. I found out the next morning that she was arrested for D&D. We both agreed she's lucky there was no possession charge. It was the first time she'd ever been popped. She said she couldn't remember much and wanted me to fill in the details. She tells me that one bouncer has a crush on her. He'll be antagonistic to her whenever she comes in w/a dude as opposed to women, even if there's nothing going on w/the guy and her. But it wasn’t like she was blaming him for getting tossed in the pokey. When I went to drop off her credit card and ID she showed me bruises from the cuffs and where the cops manhandled her. She said thought things were cool, they were just talking but then boom! One arm pulled back as she gets her chin banged against the hood.

She said she prolly should have stopped arguing about the mj. "Or whatever else you may've been arguing about," I told her. I didn't bring up the fact that none of it would've happened had we stayed at the first bar like I suggested. Her fingers were still smudged w/ink. "Thug Life" she said and we had a big laugh. She also told me how she asked to keep the blanket that said LA County Jail on it as a souvenir they told her to get the fuggout.

She apologized to me profusely for the previous night. In the future I told her she definitely needs to limit what she consumes. She said she wasn't sure if she was going to drink again. We'll be hanging out completely sober. She asked was I thinking "who is this crazy chick??" I told her I was just glad she was OK. Ego bruised, though it was. It could've been a lot worse, for both of us. To which she agreed.

Type
    INTj
    Last tuesday I went to a different bar. I usually go out drinking with a friend on tuesdays, because I live in a nightlife district and it's a zoo thursday through sunday. Anyway, there was a person there who had a cat on a leash in the bar. My city is full of dogs, so it was a welcome change. The cat was climbing all over the person, and it was -adorable-. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to say hi to either of them before they left. This, I regret.

Type
    XXXX
    Our unit recently returned to Ft. Lewis from Iraq, where I had arrived at the tail end of a nine month deployment fresh from training, a new guy or “cherry,” who had yet to prove himself. Within a couple days, myself and about 10 guys from my platoon ended up in Tacoma at a bar. The place was dimly-lit, had a big dance floor, and was frequented by members of the various local gangs. Despite the more casual setting, my platoon’s hierarchy largely carried over and I was expected to shuttle drinks and watch sixes.

All in all the night proceeded smoothly, until closing. Everyone filtered out—most the platoon went one way, down a street, and me and another new guy waited on a cab right outside the door. That’s when I heard shouting back and forth between the guys in my platoon, probably 6 of them now, and about 10 black guys. The most vocal from our platoon was Dempsey: a towering, Philly native with skull and Celtic tattoos covering each of his massive arms. The groups kept moving down the street, separately, got to about 50 meters away, then converged. Fists started flying.

I headed toward the revolving mass in a dead sprint. As I got closer, a black face attached to a large, black body kicking Dempsey, who is wrestling on the ground, became clear. I zeroed in, and without slowing down, threw a haymaker, which upon impacting the guy’s jaw, sounded like a gunshot. The guy stumbled backward, and I squared up knowing that if I was going to have any chance fighting the guy, I’d need to close in quick while he was still dazed. Before I closed in however, a large black bouncer, who’d followed behind me from the bar, stepped in between me and the guy.

“How’d this start?” The bouncer said.

The guy behind him, rubbing his jaw, pointed damningly. “They called us niggers,” he shouted.

At that point, I prepared for a hell of fight, if not outright ass-stomping from these two giant, now-aligned men. Their eyes narrowed, they bore toward me, and I stumbled back with my fist raised, breathing sharply.

Sirens blared. Red and blue lights flashed our way, and all at once, the pile of men untangled and sprinted separate ways. I found one of the Squad Sergeants and followed him over fences through backyards. The rest of the guys orbited nearby.

The squad sergeant led us to his house, which we entered through the basement door. Everyone arrived. He broke out a whiskey bottle and started passing it around.

“Give it to [my name]” he said. “Did you all hear that fucking punch?”

There was laughing and boasting from everyone. Everyone except Dempsey, who started to drunkenly weep, the adrenaline receding.
    Last edited by Makers; 05-02-2015 at 09:58 PM.
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

Buy my book