View Poll Results: Do you know how to swim?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 90.48%
  • No

4 9.52%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you know how to swim?

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx

Do you know how to swim?

just wondering what's "typical"...

if you do know how to swim, when did you learn and how?
    chatting on discord

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Yes. Not very well, mind you, I do a basic front crawl, breast stroke etc. but not very efficiently. But I certainly wouldn't drown if thrown into water.

I learnt because we all had to do swimming lessons at (late) primary school from about 7-11 I seem to remember, and my parents took me swimming when I was young at one of the local swimming pools (they are almost all run by the local councils here for some reason). I think this is pretty standard in the UK.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Cynical Facetious Heckler mancroft's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    i do a basic doggy paddle and that is about it.
    INTPC UK Photos ... MBTI Guide

Baaaraaack Obaaamaaa.

Type
    INTP
    Basic ability. A few years ago took it up more seriously as an alternative to running for exercise. Horrifically boring unfortunately. The constant water rushing by creates a kind of sensory deprivation tank, but you have to concentrate enough that it's hard to think about much else. Also it's not that hard of exercise (you're buoyed up) so you have go a long time to get a bang. Whereas running/jogging is a thinking persons hobby. It's hard so it doesn't take much time to get a really good workout. The endorphins start kicking in and you kind of float away to Cloud Nine to think with the body on autopilot. Anyhow we moved near to a track so now I run 8 miles a week which suits me.

Type
    INTx
    My family had a 3 foot above ground pool. As a kid I learned to propel myself through the water, first with my head under the water, then above. I also learned to lay on my back and to relax and float. Later in college, a maritime/merchant marine school, I received instruction in more formal strokes, as well as how to keep afloat in water for long periods.

Type
    INTP
    Basic ability. Can tread water, swim forward and backward at greater than zero velocity.
    Learned how as an adult, mid-twenties. Was happy enough with being able to tread water (that is, not sink) that I never invested much more time in it.

A Transient Configuration Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    All 4 strokes. Competed as a kid. Competed in Masters in my 30s and did quite well.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

This SEP field is glorious!

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I remember learning to swim pretty well, although I don't quite recall my exact age. If I remember correctly, I was in kindergarten or thereabouts.

I remember that my grandmother picked me up by the arm and threw me into the ocean from a pier. When I was in the water thrashing around she said "SWIM!" and pantomimed motions with her arms. When I'd calmed down and managed to keep my head consistently above water I shouted at her in outrage "GRANDMA! Shame on you! I could have drowned."

She laughed and said "Well, now you know how to swim." and she jumped into the water.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    Yes, i'm a pretty good swimmer, even did a short stint on the swim and dive team in school. I don't remember actually learning how to swim aside from specific strokes when I was on the swim team, so I must have learned when I was too young to have any recollection of it.
    We always spent a lot of time at local beaches and at my Great Grandpas cabin growing up. Land of 10,000 lakes, you know? Now we spend a lot of time at my folks lake house so my kids and nieces and nephews have also always known how to swim and are quite good at it. Despite the fact that several of them are on swim teams now I still enjoy challenging them to swim races and teaching the youngest ones how to float and tread water and stuff for safety.
    You're using big words right now that you don't know the meaning of and you're capitalizing them. You shouldn't do that. ~Osito

Type
    INTP
    I can swim decently enough. I don't have any formal swimming training, but my mom took us to a public pool a lot when we were growing up so I learned to do some stroke movements from watching other people swim. I have no idea if I'm doing them correctly or not, but whatever I'm doing works better than a doggy paddle. I've been in water that's deep enough that I can't touch the bottom and haven't drowned so whatever I'm doing seems to work well enough.