Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IMAGINATION

IMAGINATION

Cool techs such as the mind-copter are already out there but they still lack something.They only work by detecting the concentration of brain activity. I can also see this in the VR gaming industry in the future. The only problem I see is what if you want your own script to be in the game, what if you want something you've imagined to be in the game; how will you make that possible? Is it really possible? To be a god in a game?
    If you watch cartoon conspiracies in this youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-p...43BqqBxIeyo_GA and as well as may other websites, you'll notice that imagination is really powerful. it's the creative tool. You can induce or make imagination wild with chemicals, sound frequencies, trauma and stuff but what exactly is imagination? Is imagination just an imagination? By this question I mean, I think imagination is more of a memory that you just twist and turn; I mean if I ask you to imagine an animal, all you would probably do is mix up the anatomy of other animals or consult info from your memory like you can't really create something new but just modify an old one or just perceive what's already there but in a wrong way. So... yup, what are your thoughts on imagination especially in neuroscience and gaming?
    Last edited by Fonhgrit Suttvrel; 04-26-2015 at 04:46 PM. Reason: grammar

Societal egress and ennui Catoptric's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Imagination is the taking of common artifacts and juxtapositions to either make them associate to likeness, or of redefinition to a new meaning symbolic to a new concept.

Hegel makes a reference to it

Gaming is largely centered around reward stimuli and is an addiction. Our entire society has been developed on Pavlov's experiment it would seem. Imagination can only reward those whom relate or understand it, in as much as someone would otherwise imagine themselves playing sports but not strategizing the takeover of planet Earth.

I like the cartoons and have added it to my signature.

Type
    xNxx
    Imagination is an impossibly complex algorithm that exhibits emergence. One can list the ingredients without being able to predict the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    One can list the ingredients without being able to predict the outcome.
    :> what do you mean by predict the outcome? Do you mean like possibilities and stuff? Like a point? Do you mean you can't make an isolated point, you can only carve paths leading to that point, is that what you mean?

Type
    INTP
    Imagination is letting your brain's predictive capabilities run wild. Initial conditions + imagination = later conditions. Though the most important thing is being able to calculate later conditions given present conditions plus likely events, it's also useful to be able to do the same given present conditions plus unlikely events. Present conditions + climate change = it gets hotter, present conditions + mech robots = I quit my job to become a Gundam pilot.

Type
    INXX
    The way I see it, imagination is putting your own personal spin on something you sense. Like it's your perception or modification of whatever you experienced. When making art one can collect what is called reference so one can steal the idea and put their own spin on it. Have a look at this book.

It doesn't matter what the medium is. Angry Birds was a rip off of some castle game. Most popular songs use the same 4 chords. Think of how many times in some movie a ship or something looks obviously like something else.

As far as the game part of your question, the programmer is the god of the world he creates.
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

oh my gosh! I'm loving this community so much! the people here just oh my, i'm in heaven ... But I still have this question: "what if you want your own script to be in the game/ what if you want something you've imagined to be in the game; doesn't that say something about imagination or things like free will and virtual reality? Is it really possible? To be a god in a game?" :3

Type
    xNxx
    I think that imagination is usually considered as a creative act rather than an autotelic one, but that the latter is fully valid. I can't remember how I got there from your question, but here we are.

There surely exist "gods within games" who transcend the established limits via their imaginations and creativity. A good game is like a good government, flexible to its participants and the culture which it overlays and inhabits, keeping a minarchy of structure in order to foster that creativity as well as maintaining a sense of its own culture.

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fonhgrit Suttvrel View Post
    oh my gosh! I'm loving this community so much! the people here just oh my, i'm in heaven ... But I still have this question: "what if you want your own script to be in the game/ what if you want something you've imagined to be in the game; doesn't that say something about imagination or things like free will and virtual reality? Is it really possible? To be a god in a game?" :3
    Are you talking about writing a mod to make your game include something you desire to be there? Like a stormtrooper in Red Dead Redemption or are you talking about something else? Please rephrase your question.
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

Type
    INTP
    I think imagination is born of the hypothetical, while inspiration is born of the (often seemingly im-)possible.

As such, I think imagination is only worthwhile where it intersects with inspiration.

It takes inspiration, of course, to 'breathe life' into something...and so the gaming reality that you envision demands inspiration, not just imagination.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung