Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Movies - 2015

Type
    INTP

Summer Movies - 2015

Summer for Hollywood kicks off May 1st with the release of Avengers 2:Age of Ultron. We’ll see if this year’s offerings are any good soon enough but boxoffice expectations are at an all-time high. There could be six films, (maybe moar???) released this year crossing the Billion Dollar ww bo threshold. (There were only 19 total prior to Furious 7, not adjusting for inflation).

Here’s a list of major summer releases. Which films are you most eager to see? Which do you expect to be dogs quality-wise? Which will be the biggest surprise hit, (maybe not surprise but exceed expectation the highest)? Which do you think will bomb?

What would you guess to be the top 10 grossing films of 2015 (worldwide boxoffice)? (Hint: not all the biggest films will be released in the summer) List in order if you really want to be a badass! Dollar amount not necessary but cool if you'd like to venture guesses. Also cool, if you want to denote those films that'll cross $1B.

Type
    INTP
    I might see Terminator and/or Mad Max. They could easily both be awful, but I'm willing to give them a shot. Nothing else looks especially worthwhile to me.

I've reached and exceeded taste saturation with all the comic-book movies, and I haven't even seen some of the big ones. (Neither of the Spider-Man reboots nor the first Avengers film.) The recent ones I have seen are clearly suffering from Diminishing Returns. It was fun at first to see these characters from my childhood brought to life in adult-oriented big-budget movie form, especially the ones with a familiar, fairly talented tier of actors whose analogues would have been slumming hard to take roles like that when I was a kid. (I'm thinking especially of the first Iron Man movie, which defeated considerable skepticism to earn my faith in this formula to begin with.) However, now it's getting old, and they're overplaying their hand by trying to churn out so many so quickly. I don't know who gives enough of a fuck about Ant-Man to shell out $10 for a movie about him, but I sure as hell don't.

Jurassic World just sounds like a trainwreck of an idea to me. Maybe I'll be proved wrong, but everything about it is just "WTF, why? Why does this exist?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    Heh. Me too (Terminator & Mad Max). But only if I hear half decent reviews, if they get panned, I will pass. It disappoints me somewhat that Hollywood seems to be all retreads these days. How about some new and original sci-fi?

I'm definitely over superhero movies. Most of them are mediocre as evidenced by the endless re-boots. I don't think producers even worry too much about these anymore - if a superhero movies flops, no biggie, just recycle it in a few years. Unless it's Spiderman, then just recycle it every few years regardless.

I'll watch some of the others, but not until they come out on video.

Type
    INFP
    I think San Andreas is gonna bomb big time. I hate to see non-retread blockbusters tank against franchise mass-opiates but that movie looks turrible.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    I think San Andreas is gonna bomb big time. I hate to see non-retread blockbusters tank against franchise mass-opiates but that movie looks turrible.
    I haven't seen any of the trailers for San Andreas but it sounds a lot like 2012. I do like The Rock so I imagine I'll go see it but it's not a high priority.

Ted, Pitch Perfect and Magic Mike all greatly exceeded their bo expectations. Studios will do what they can to try to ensure milking/capture lightning in a bottle by releasing sequels on about the same date, which Ted and Magic Mike are doing. The first Pitch was released in a much less crowded late Sept w/e. Being opposite Mad Max could be nice counter programming but instead of going for 4 weeks unchallenged by demo, it'll have two weeks until Aloha could potentially swipe all the tween and teen girls away. I think it shows how top heavy film grosses are. I think they could've gone closer to 4th of July when school's out and had the same potential.

I hope Tomorrowland isn't too color-by-numbers, I'd actually be interested in seeing that. I'm interested in Straight Outa Compton. The trailer I saw for Pixels I thought was pretty good. It could be Ghostbusters before the new Ghostbusters.

Type
    INTJ
    I just saw ex machina
    I'm very happy to see a really good movie for a change. Everything I watch lately is just unentertaining, non provocative shit, with trite and cliched interactions, everything has to be awesome and filled with gravitas all the time. Kinda sick with all this comic book shit TBH.
    I don't want to give anything away for the people that haven't seen it yet, so they can go in almost tabula rasa, just knowing that it's supposedly good.

I didn't know much about it at all, I just looked it up and it was a British movie that only cost $15M to make.
    Would watch again.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    I just saw ex machina
    I'm very happy to see a really good movie for a change. Everything I watch lately is just unentertaining, non provocative shit, with trite and cliched interactions, everything has to be awesome and filled with gravitas all the time. Kinda sick with all this comic book shit TBH.
    I don't want to give anything away for the people that haven't seen it yet, so they can go in almost tabula rasa, just knowing that it's supposedly good.

I didn't know much about it at all, I just looked it up and it was a British movie that only cost $15M to make.
    Would watch again.
    Is it more sci fi or horror?

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    Is it more sci fi or horror?
    More Sci Fi, but I'd say, I'm a fan of both, but more sci-fi thriller than sci-fi horror, I'd say

that one's on my list along with mad max. I keep hearing that it's really good (mad max).
    I may catch it with my friends tomorrow night. I saw that george miller recommends the 3d version but they'll probably go with the standard one. oh well if it's that good I won't mind seeing it again in 3d.

I love when sci-fi and horror mesh seamlessly like the thing or alien.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by last_caress View Post
    that one's on my list along with mad max. I keep hearing that it's really good (mad max).
    I may catch it with my friends tomorrow night. I saw that george miller recommends the 3d version but they'll probably go with the standard one. oh well if it's that good I won't mind seeing it again in 3d.
    I saw it in 2D since it was shot in 2D. I don't know how much cooler it would've looked but I was fine with seeing it that way.