Thread: Martial Arts

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP

Martial Arts

I'm looking to pick up a martial art. But I have a few caveats. One is that I have a mangled right foot and compromised balance and agility with my legs. My upper body speed & stability seems intact if not above average to good, but I'll probably never be able to learn something like Taekwondo.

What I desperately want to learn is boxing. I've been shadow boxing a bit and seeing what works for me and it seems that if I do try and take it up, then I'll almost have to be a southpaw. Not only does it feel more natural, but it works better to lead with the right foot rather than to have to drive off of or fall back on it. Anyone have experience fighting southpaw as a right hander? Feels more comfortable, actually.

But, the only thing I've found in the place I'll be spending the summer is kickboxing. I'm thinking maybe if I sign up I can just convince them to teach and spar with me boxing only.

Do you participate in any martial arts as an adult?

Type
    INTP
    I did some mixed martial arts for about a year. I enjoyed it but found that it heightened my defensive/aggressive emotions. I'm sure that that's not true of most people.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I did karate for a couple of years. I was never very good but it was enjoyable regardless.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTj
    I did Taekwondo for about two years and found it good for striking, but aside from that I consider it more of an artform like interpretive dance relative to BJJ. It's not that great of a martial art for actual, real fighting. I train BJJ about once a week and have been doing it for a couple months. It's effective for subduing opponents with negligible damage.

Aside from BJJ, I've gone to a few Muay Thai classes, it's a no bullshit martial art.

You should check out a local Muay Thai/BJJ dojo, most of the ones I've been to have free introductory lessons. See what you like, you know, variety and shit.

Also try and stay away from the McDojos.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I did kickboxing/kung-fu/self-defence for 5 years or so when younger. Haven't managed to keep at it after moving round so much and wasn't able to find a place or situation that felt as much like the original place I trained at, plus I had to hold down a full time job which interfered with training times.

From the start i decided to be ambidextrous rather than favour a side, even though I'm a dominant righty in both hand and leg. It made strategic sense to me since I wasn't training to be professional or anything.

As for boxing, have you done any actual hitting against something material, like a pad or bag? (I'm not necessarily suggesting you do so without training) The right-cross and subsequently left hook will likely be your two best/most powerful/natural punches as a righty, and to land those nicely requires leading with the left foot. Starting out, jabbing with your lead might feel borderline retarded, but you don't lead with your right because its the strongest, you lead with your left because it sets you up best to use your right.

Try throwing a left cross when leading with your right, and focus about how your arm comparatively feels going through that motion, not your legs (since your legs can also have dominant sides). I'm open to the possibility that you might genuinely prefer leading with your right for whatever reason, it happens, but I'd still say if your left cross feels uncoordinated its probably a good sign that you're favouring your right just because its stronger, and you haven't done enough boxing or technique to get that left side feeling good and know what feels right yet. But really, just do whatever a training guy tells you :P