Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Make-up/Cosmetics thread

Type
    INtP

Make-up/Cosmetics thread

Here is the thread for all things cosmetics/beauty-related.

Type
    INFP
    I've been hearing for years that I shouldn't shampoo every day. For the last couple weeks I've been skipping a day here and there (half of the time I find myself absentmindedly shampooing my hair on days I've resolved not to). I feel like a complete greaseball on days I don't shampoo. Has anyone on this forum weaned themselves off of daily shampoos? I'm starting to think that cooking on a line supersedes the rule of "don't shampoo every day."

EDIT: It just occurred to me that shampoo might not be a cosmetic. I just like to be a part of stuff.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INtP
    Any good foundation recs? I've been told Make Up For Ever HD is good, but not sure if I want to shell out $43 for it. I also have under-eye circles like whoa and am not sure to repurchase my Dermablend that's almost out, or try something new.

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    About the only "beauty secrets" I know:

Unruly, frizzy hair can be turned into shiny locks if you comb through your hair in the shower while using conditioner.

Flaky make-up can be prevented by applying a second layer of moisturiser before applying foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    I've been hearing for years that I shouldn't shampoo every day. For the last couple weeks I've been skipping a day here and there (half of the time I find myself absentmindedly shampooing my hair on days I've resolved not to). I feel like a complete greaseball on days I don't shampoo. Has anyone on this forum weaned themselves off of daily shampoos? I'm starting to think that cooking on a line supersedes the rule of "don't shampoo every day."
    It probably also depends on how long your hair is. I only shampoo once a week but my hair is long and I don't exercise much or work in a commercial kitchen.

That said, people who went from shampooing daily to twice a week have mentioned that there is a two- or three-week transitional phase in which their hair was greasy, but that their hair became better after that period.

Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    Any good foundation recs? I've been told Make Up For Ever HD is good, but not sure if I want to shell out $43 for it. I also have under-eye circles like whoa and am not sure to repurchase my Dermablend that's almost out, or try something new.
    How about CC cream?

Type
    INtP
    I don't think I've ever washed my hair daily. Who has time for that? But I have dry hair/skin and it gets super frizzy if I wash too often. Do you think it's a personal comfort level, or does your hair/scalp actually look and feel greasy to others?

Supposedly sally hansen knock-off of Wen is good for a conditioning wash (not a shampoo), but if your hair looks great, fuck it?

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    I don't think I've ever washed my hair daily. Who has time for that? But I have dry hair/skin and it gets super frizzy if I wash too often. Do you think it's a personal comfort level, or does your hair/scalp actually look and feel greasy to others?
    Most people over-wash. There really is no need to strip your skin of essential oils every day. Powdering your hair with flour or starch was an established practice for several hundred years, and why? Because it worked. Shampooing is an invention of the early 20th (!) century, anyway; before that nobody would have thought of putting aggressive soaps on their hair. Modern shampoos have a lot going for them (cuticle smoothing for improved shine etc.), but I'm in love with the modern version of it that is dry shampoo.

Type
    INFP

Supposedly sally hansen knock-off of Wen is good for a conditioning wash (not a shampoo), but if your hair looks great, fuck it?
    I don't think a third party has touched my hair since I started this experiment. My hair definitely lays more nicely when I haven't shampooed that day but it feels greasier to me so it's kind of a trade-off. I read a highly rated reddit comment that the greasiness would eventually dissipate after a month or so but I haven't seen any higher authority say it. I've shampooed daily for a long time but I had a buzz cut for most of that time (also being childless and single leaves a fair amount of time for daily shampoos). I have bangs down to my eyebrows for the first time in five-ish years. I should probably just use conditioner or shave my head.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    shit i use on my face: toner, emulsion, night moisturizing cream (not every day), bb cream, oil-free unscented sunblock, bare minerals powder foundation (lol i need to graduate)

i stopped washing my face regularly in the shower cuz i read/heard somewhere that beyonce only uses water and that inspired me. it turns out that that works the best for my skin, too. sometimes if i haven't showered for a day cuz i fall asleep early i'll wash my face with a foaming cleanser in the shower. i can't use that every day cuz it'll dry the shit out of my face.

i also use regular ol' aveeno on my face in the morning. it doesn't feel fancy so it's not as fun to use, but it's cheap and works fine as regular lotion.

so yeah that's my thing
    chatting on discord

Type
    INtP
    I don't think a third party has touched my hair since I started this experiment. My hair definitely lays more nicely when I haven't shampooed that day but it feels greasier to me so it's kind of a trade-off. I read a highly rated reddit comment that the greasiness would eventually dissipate after a month or so but I haven't seen any higher authority say it. I've shampooed daily for a long time but I had a buzz cut for most of that time (also being childless and single leaves a fair amount of time for daily shampoos). I have bangs down to my eyebrows for the first time in five-ish years. I should probably just use conditioner or shave my head.
    I also have heard people say that about going no 'poo (gets greasy bad before it gets better). I don't even have a greasy scalp and I'd be scratching my scalp and looking like a nasty ass Pig-Pen in about a week.

Like Sappho suggested, there is the option of dry shampoo. I have used the Suave Professionals one, it is cheap and makes your hair look better. You still feel semi-disgusting though (but this is me saying it after like, 4 days of not washing)

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Finally!! A makeup thread. I love doing people's makeup / my own. Right now I'm obsessed with MLBBs.

If youre from the US you're very lucky, makeup is very very expensive in Australia. I spent $30 AUD today on a single MAC lip liner today. Also $8 for a freaken pencil sharpener
    Last edited by kari; 04-28-2015 at 09:19 AM.