Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who or what is an INTP, and is one Complex?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    I think of the INTP like a fellow wizard.
    Like the brown one that lives in the forest with shit in its beard.
    Hagrid, Radagast or Katniss?

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    Hagrid, Radagast or Katniss?
    Croikey!
    I was thinking of Radagast.
    I am the son and heir of nothing in particular.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    I think of the INTP like a fellow wizard.
    Like the brown one that lives in the forest with shit in its beard.
    It has gold in it's beard, ur the one who has dog shyt in it's beard considering you think cognitive functions are bs lmao

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BIOTCH View Post
    It has gold in it's beard, ur the one who has dog shyt in it's beard considering you think cognitive functions are bs lmao
    no u
    I am the son and heir of nothing in particular.

Banned
    Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Oh my, what a question; is there a higher power, intelligent life on other planets, or INTPs who are not complex?

I defer to the wisdom of Isabel Briggs Myers and her mom, Katharine Briggs.

We all like to study ourselves and we affiliate with other INTPs online a lot, because honestly, SJs are insufferable people.

What can we not be? I mean, can an INTP laugh and joke a lot (with people it is comfortable with and likes), and be friendly (with people it is comfortable with and likes)? Or, did that INTP slip past quality control?

So, I actually am interested in an answer. I posit (a tired song) that we exist on a spectrum, so some INTPs should have an Ne that is equal to or slightly surpasses the Ti. OH! No, wait. All of a sudden, that INTP is extroverted because it is a little more Ne-ish?

Poppycock.

Basic question: Give your opinions.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    can an INTP laugh and joke a lot (with people it is comfortable with and likes), and be friendly (with people it is comfortable with and likes)?
    Sure. All the functions/preferences are a matter of tolerance. All the intuitives can handle small talk, for a time. Some more than others. And individuals vary too of course, two of the same type will have different degrees of tolerance.

I can handle small talk for a half hour at most, thereabouts, before getting bored. Depending on the nature of it usually within 10 minutes I'll start to shutdown, and by the half hour mark will be silent (assuming there are others around to carry it on for me).

Oftentimes (this is probably common) I'll switch to observing mode. I remember once - family reunion, an ISFJ confabbing with a ESTJ (both female). The entire conversation was a clipped assessment of what they were seeing (they watched their kids doing something). "He's outgrown his shoes already" - "Yes, they grow fast" - "Yes, they just grow and grow" - "I will go to the <shoe mart> next week" ... and so forth.

Extraverted Sensing/Se type events (e.g. Baseball game) are about the same for me. I start to shut down within 10 minutes, in full tortoise mode by half hour thereabouts.

Edit: I meant to add the inverse is true too. I see that dominant S types can handle intuitive talk (ideation, talking about the meaning behind events, etc) about the same. Within 10 minutes - or even just within five they'll go blank. By fifteen to a half hour they'll divert.

It's not universal, I've known a few that can handle more. I've found they don't really absorb it, but they'll put up with it better than most. Just as we have to continually put up with the Se/Si and small talk.