Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not getting fat

Type
    intp

Not getting fat

I didn't want to title this "staying in shape", because that indicates more than just not being fat, such as exercise. Anyway, when I was younger, this was never even a concern of mine, I could eat anything and stay within a pound or two of the same weight. As I'm getting older, it's no longer the case. I overindulge for a week and the consequences are practically immediate. So now I have to monitor what I eat, which is new for me. Basically I just monitor calories without much regard for what the calories consist of, and it seems to work. What, if anything, do you do to stave off fatness?

Type
    INTP
    I think the standard method for Americans is to redefine fat as bigger than yourself.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP
    I basically eat less crap and exercise (run).

Type
    xNxx
    I have to count calories and "eat clean."

When I stop either of those things I feel like shit, start to eat way too much, and gain about 1/4-1/2 a pound per week. If I really aggressively stop giving a fuck and drink sugary booze and eat crap, I can comfortably gain more like 2 pounds a week.

"Clean" means a lot of vegetables, lean protein, and healthy fat, with a limited amount of fruit and whole grains. It means almost no refined sugar. Booze is more complicated because I tend to pair it with a lot of additional activity. I'm sure it's not doing me many favors, and when I hack it out of my life I lose more weight.

It's possible for me to get skinny by walking +6 miles each day and not worrying about anything else (I could probably chart this by noting that my average +100 calories a day would be offset by the ~ -600 calories from 2 hours of walking), but I have been in situations where I've eaten "clean" but not counted calories, exercised lightly for an hour every day, and still been obese.

Most of all, it means a lot of experimenting, allowing myself to falter, and paying attention to how it all feels. I'm hoping my reformed eating habits will eventually mean no spare tire and better leptin sensitivity. I have much better insulin sensitivity, but apparently the leptin takes years or *never* to adjust.

shrug

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    I didn't want to title this "staying in shape", because that indicates more than just not being fat, such as exercise. Anyway, when I was younger, this was never even a concern of mine, I could eat anything and stay within a pound or two of the same weight. As I'm getting older, it's no longer the case.
    Afaik, a part of the slowing metabolism of old age is due to muscle wasting, which has a synergistic relationship with a shittier hormone profile. (studies have shown that giving shots of test will increase muscle mass without any additional exercise, and increased fat percentage means increased estrogen)

Type
    XXXX
    I think it's biologically impossible for me to get fat. My body destroys calories. But I'm also always moving--in some way. I'm that guy, with the foot jittering or rocking in his seat or pacing around my apartment, and I've heard that these doing these activities throughout a day will burn hundreds of calories.

On another note: sometimes I see fat people. Or not just fat, but obese. And they'll be stuffing their face with the worst sort of foods, which I do reframe from, and a wave of repulsion will hit me. Like, it's hard for me to not psychically project my disgust. Then, I'll remember that the void they fill with food I fill with anxiety or worse, heavy drinking, and after that, I feel a sort human camaraderie.

Type
    xxxx
    it's impossible for me to get fat now but i think i might get jiggly later in life when i'm middle aged if i have a sedentary lifestyle. rn my lifestyle's moderately active (depends) & i exercise whenever i feel like it. i don't eat a lot of food in terms of volume and calories so there's nothing to really do diet-wise.

Type
    INTP
    @Makers - possible, but get back to us around your mid-40's. That's when the shit really starts to hit the fan.

Lud is kind of doing the right thing by trying to just be more careful about calories in. Either you become an exercise junkie, remove all pleasure from the food you do eat (i.e. live off veggies, whey smoothies and protein powder) and/or gain some weight.

You will probably eventually gain some weight. One other issues with getting old is you tend to get a bit lazy as well. This isn't a problem if you are an established exercise junkie (then you will probably carry on as usual), but for the more average joe's (like myself) who tend to exercise only when things start to get out of hand, you will find your will to do so weakens every 5 years or so past your 35th birthday (not that it goes in 5 year fits, but it takes about 5 years before you will actually perceive a noticeable difference).

Type
    INFP
    The amount of walking I do out of pleasure is enough to maintain my weight, make sure I'm not eating too much or too little and I keep the choices clean.

If I eat both too much or two little I'll see noticeable weight gain in about a week and a half. I'd outlive most people in a famine situation.
    Last edited by Vison; 05-07-2015 at 08:03 PM.
    Oh fuck it, Its the 90's.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Lud is kind of doing the right thing by trying to just be more careful about calories in. Either you become an exercise junkie, remove all pleasure from the food you do eat (i.e. live off veggies, whey smoothies and protein powder) and/or gain some weight.
    These topics have been truly blown the fuck out over the past 30 years. I don't know what other people consider being an "exercise junkie," but a lot of the time it means "going to the gym at all".

Food is the same way. Yesterday, I ate:

4 eggs
    2 pieces of bread
    an ounce of cheese
    a package of green onions
    a pat of butter
    a splash of oil
    a pile of poached chicken
    half a package of arugula with balsamic and olive oil
    2 cups of greek yoghurt
    2 cups of frozen pineapple
    two tangelos

for ~2,000 calories. not exactly deprivation.